Originally Posted by jsnkim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Front or rear?
i think on both..

is it ok with 25mm on x5M?

thanks
I just did one yesterday.
Going to measure again today and take some pictures.
I'll post it later.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #178
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

Hi all!

My name is Jonathan and I am New to the forum. I installed my MSS springs over the weekend on my X5M. I have not been able to find the torque specs anywhere. So, I reverse engineered torque specs. I have a small popping or clunking noise in the front when I turn left to right loading the suspension quickly, and also when I go through rough pavement, bumps and holes. Does anyone have torque specs for suspension components? MSS will not give me any torque specs for liability reasons. This is the first time I have bought any aftermarket part that does not provide torque specs in the instructions. I tried finding the service manual online and No luck. I do not want to take it to a shop because I rather work on my car myself. But I am feeling pretty desperate at this point. MSS suggestions for support are useless without having the torque specs ☹️. Thanks in advance!

I did drop it all the way in case that is a question anyone has. Looks better and the rear feels solid.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #179
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torijona View Post
Hi all!

My name is Jonathan and I am New to the forum. I installed my MSS springs over the weekend on my X5M. I have not been able to find the torque specs anywhere. So, I reverse engineered torque specs. I have a small popping or clunking noise in the front when I turn left to right loading the suspension quickly, and also when I go through rough pavement, bumps and holes. Does anyone have torque specs for suspension components? MSS will not give me any torque specs for liability reasons. This is the first time I have bought any aftermarket part that does not provide torque specs in the instructions. I tried finding the service manual online and No luck. I do not want to take it to a shop because I rather work on my car myself. But I am feeling pretty desperate at this point. MSS suggestions for support are useless without having the torque specs ☹️. Thanks in advance!

I did drop it all the way in case that is a question anyone has. Looks better and the rear feels solid.
This information used to be available publicly via newtis.info.
But BMW forced them to put it down.
AFAIK, even H&R, Eibach, KW, or other suspension company doesn't include the torque specs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #180
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Hi all!

Did you install them by yourself? Did you need an alignment afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #181
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, even H&R, Eibach, KW, or other suspension company doesn't include the torque specs.
That is unfortunate. I still do think that the springs could have come with better instructions that include torque specs per region; that is the main reason according to MSS why they didn’t include them because cars torque settings are region specific and they didn’t want to be liable. Maybe they are referring to units? Anyway, when I worked as a support engineer for a machinery and automotive manufactured we that all aftermarket equipment had al torque specs, images, and manuals printed out in several languages. Maybe we just went above and beyond 😬. Thanks for the info! At least I wind waste my time looking for the manual online anymore.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-04-2021, 07:15 AM   #182
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
Did you install them by yourself? Did you need an alignment afterwards?
I did (mechanical engineer who worked as factory support engineer) and had help from a friend who is a mechanic. We had an hydraulic lift and all the tools needed. With the sloppy instructions, it took us close to 12 hours. Now, we could do it in 4 after having to figure out a bunch of things ourselves. The front is definitely more complex.

I went with full drop. So, definitely needs an alignment. I just haven’t aligned it yet because there is something obviously wrong. I have seen the issues that MSS systems have had with previous systems. So, I wanna make sure that it is not a bad part before I spend almost money on alignment and more time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #183
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
I did (mechanical engineer who worked as factory support engineer) and had help from a friend who is a mechanic. We had an hydraulic lift and all the tools needed. With the sloppy instructions, it took us close to 12 hours. Now, we could do it in 4 after having to figure out a bunch of things ourselves. The front is definitely more complex.

I went with full drop. So, definitely needs an alignment. I just haven’t aligned it yet because there is something obviously wrong. I have seen the issues that MSS systems have had with previous systems. So, I wanna make sure that it is not a bad part before I spend almost money on alignment and more time.
Are you positive the springs are seated correctly into the nests? I've replaced OEM springs on an older truck and had popping due to them not being aligned, so maybe just a thought.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #184
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is unfortunate. I still do think that the springs could have come with better instructions that include torque specs per region; that is the main reason according to MSS why they didn’t include them because cars torque settings are region specific and they didn’t want to be liable. Maybe they are referring to units? Anyway, when I worked as a support engineer for a machinery and automotive manufactured we that all aftermarket equipment had al torque specs, images, and manuals printed out in several languages. Maybe we just went above and beyond 😬. Thanks for the info! At least I wind waste my time looking for the manual online anymore.
I agree to your point.
But keep in mind that how much more overhead that the product manufacturers will have since all of these car manufacturers now doesn't publish their torque spec publicly.

For example, BMW is asking (I think) $30/day for their online TIS access or $1000+/year.

Just that alone, I would say they will have to increase the products pricing.

And for those that includes torque spec, I still have to double check with BMW specs.
Because most of the time it is different than what BMW recommend.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #185
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Are you positive the springs are seated correctly into the nests? I've replaced OEM springs on an older truck and had popping due to them not being aligned, so maybe just a thought.
Thank you for the input. I will add to the checklist of things to look for. It is a possibility that something might have gotten misaligned after putting weight on the axle. I checked on the lift but not after dropping.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #186
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree to your point.
But keep in mind that how much more overhead that the product manufacturers will have since all of these car manufacturers now doesn't publish their torque spec publicly.

For example, BMW is asking (I think) $30/day for their online TIS access or $1000+/year.

Just that alone, I would say they will have to increase the products pricing.

And for those that includes torque spec, I still have to double check with BMW specs.
Because most of the time it is different than what BMW recommend.
That is a valid point. I sure wouldn’t mind paying a little extra to ensure I am getting adequate instructions. I am sure I will get this sorted out. Just hoping is not a defective part because I don’t want to do all that work again haha
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #187
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a valid point. I sure wouldn’t mind paying a little extra to ensure I am getting adequate instructions. I am sure I will get this sorted out. Just hoping is not a defective part because I don’t want to do all that work again haha
Update:

Good news: I was able to adjust the strut top nut now that the springs are under load and that took care of the rattling noise I had while going through bumps or rough pavement. It seems like there was enough travel to get slack up top, which resulted on rattling while under sudden loads. I would have been able to avoid this with better instructions. This happened to be the only nut I did not reverse-engineered torque specs for.

Not so great news: the clunking noise I thought I had in the front, is actually coming from the back on both sides. I took one out to check the setup and everything looks as stated in the videos and instructions the kit came with. I did connect the top strut without the spring to see how much I could turn because this the top nut cannot be accessed through the trunk to adjust from the trunk. I had 2 more people with me (mechanics) and everything looked good. I installed the strut mount with the arrows facing to the inside of the car, the bump stop is in place and everything is torqued up to specs. The only thing I can think of is the ride height? I am at 0 mm (fully dropped). I did see that some x3m’s had clunking noises when fully dropped. Anyone experienced this at full drop? Are there any recommended settings?

I got my kit from IND and they have been working with MSS to resolve. Just trying to see if anyone ran into this and did not contact tech support and got it solved. I appreciate all the time and help.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #188
QF8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M Competition 2021

Quote:
Update:

Good news: I was able to adjust the strut top nut now that the springs are under load and that took care of the rattling noise I had while going through bumps or rough pavement. It seems like there was enough travel to get slack up top, which resulted on rattling while under sudden loads. I would have been able to avoid this with better instructions. This happened to be the only nut I did not reverse-engineered torque specs for.

Not so great news: the clunking noise I thought I had in the front, is actually coming from the back on both sides. I took one out to check the setup and everything looks as stated in the videos and instructions the kit came with. I did connect the top strut without the spring to see how much I could turn because this the top nut cannot be accessed through the trunk to adjust from the trunk. I had 2 more people with me (mechanics) and everything looked good. I installed the strut mount with the arrows facing to the inside of the car, the bump stop is in place and everything is torqued up to specs. The only thing I can think of is the ride height? I am at 0 mm (fully dropped). I did see that some x3m’s had clunking noises when fully dropped. Anyone experienced this at full drop? Are there any recommended settings?

I got my kit from IND and they have been working with MSS to resolve. Just trying to see if anyone ran into this and did not contact tech support and got it solved. I appreciate all the time and help.
I think you will find the clunking noise is an issue with the uni-joint between the rear drive shaft. this noise is has already been noted on this forum as an issue in some X5M and X6M that have not had the springs replace. My car had the noise from new and after replacing the springs it has got worse. The dealer believes its in the uni-joint as there is a notice out from BMW for it. My X6M is booked in on the 18th of Feb to have this problem resolved. The fault is as your driving along at low speed and you veer left or maybe right a klunk / pop noise can be heard.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #189
nesrock@gmail.com
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M Comp

Quote:
Mine are not installed yet but I'll give it a go.

Do these spring allow you to close some of the wheel gap from stock?
Yes, some are reporting 30mm lower before they break in a bit.

Do these springs change the cars ability to change the suspension feel electronically?
No not at all. You are just replacing the spring not the shock/damper.

Does this hurt the warranty?
In my case my SA says no. But if they were to deny remember they have to prove that the part caused the damage.

Is the ride softer or rougher than stock?
Like I said mine is not installed yet, but others are reporting a better all around ride quality.
I haven’t noticed any ride quality issues with my stock vehicle. If anything at high speed I would like a little less play.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #190
nesrock@gmail.com
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M Comp

Does it look like the H&R springs set will allow for the wheel gap to be reduced more than the MSS?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #191
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesrock@gmail.com View Post
Does it look like the H&R springs set will allow for the wheel gap to be reduced more than the MSS?
Unless H&R supplied a bumpstop replacement, it won't go any lower than the MSS.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:29 PM   #192
sroi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 5.0 M Package - Carbon

What has everyone been able to align their camber to after dropping the car?

Anyone slammed it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #193
evanaswan
Yngwie J Malmsteen
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 GC - G07 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroi View Post
What has everyone been able to align their camber to after dropping the car?

Anyone slammed it?
Go they the whole thread. I uploaded the alignment specs after adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #194
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

This is the clunking noise I get when I turn the wheel right

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #195
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post

Who installed your MSS kit?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #196
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

Quote:
Who installed your MSS kit?
A shop I go to and trust. We’ve been trying to resolve this since install. Thinking about taking out the strut again and trying to reseat the spring.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #197
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Woah WTF? I would be pissed off with that noise. Have you or the vendor reached out to MSS yet? I have my MSS at home and when looking at the rear setup I can see where the small helper spring connecting to the perch could be an issue for noise. Ben said he presses the black helper spring into the perch before he installs it to the shock.
      02-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #198
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post

Hope you and your shop find an easy solution to that noise. When you do, please share with us

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0