BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

High Pitch Noise from Dash Area

This has been very bothersome to me. There is a high-frequency tone being emitted from the electronics behind the dash. It seems to come from the area behind the small HVAC display but I've noticed the noise even with the HVAC system OFF.

This is not a fan noise it's a ringing/resonance of an electronic component that results in a high frequency tone.

We test drove several G05s and I didn't notice it until we got in the one that picked us up from the airport for PCD (and of course our car).

This is my wife's car so I can't simply surrender it to the dealership at my will so I'd like to know if someone has had this resolved before I pursue.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

There was a thread a little while ago discussing this. Fortunately you are not alone
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
wjakridgeii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I am pretty sure we all have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:44 AM   #4
GG3
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 325

Are you sure it's coming from the info system? I have had the same noise from my M3 and found that it was the rear vision mirror. With the car running and in park place your ear 1 inch in from either end of your revision mirror and listen. Don't place your ear in the middle on the the rest vision mirror it's more prominent on the ends of the mirror. A stethoscope is a handy tool to use for this. I believe it has something to do with the drive in the anti glare mechanism in the mirror.

If you are in Sydney Australia have a chat with either James or Michael from Hornsby BMW these 2 legends the are all over this.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

I just took delivery of a 2021 x6 2 days ago and noticed this exact sound coming somewhere from the dash.

Holy shit is it annoying.

I tried everything...screen off, HVAC off, radio off, nothing on the charger...NADA...nothing works.

The sound is there...constantly.

There is a computer with a heatsink and fan behind the dash and I really think its coil whine from there.

The car also makes another weird noise when I turn it on and off...its almost like an organ playing. Have you noticed this? For example: When you get to your destination, place car in park and turn engine off. You will hear like a low sounding dolby THX noise or a piano organ noise for a few seconds and it will slowly fade away. Also happens when you start the car. At first I thought it was a welcome/goodbye tone, but its not...I don't think?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #6
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

You get used to it after a while. I listened to ~5 X7s on the lot and they all had the same. I thought it would drive me nuts at first, but eventually I stopped noticing it
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I just had a '21 as a loaner and it was actually a little worse than my '19. If you open the hood and put your ear near the control electronics on the driver's side, you can hear it there, too (it may be the source). The noise/ringing/tone, whatever you want to call it, is on the lines running through the car. You can even hear it coming from the tweeters with the volume down all the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I think it is the iDrive HDD. I am not certain but it's the only thing I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I think it is the iDrive HDD. I am not certain but it's the only thing I can think of.
I agree its probably that. You would think in a car that costs so much they would use solid-state memory, with no moving parts it would've been quieter and more reliable in the longer term.

I've got the same high pitch whine, consistent with everyone else.

Cheap short-cuts for a few hundred bucks, ......seriously?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      12-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Ok, I figured it out today after touching and prodding at everything on the dash.

If I gently rest the back of my finger on the temperature LCD, the noise completely stops...as if my skin is insulating it.

Im not blocking the noise, as just a small portion of the back of my finger is in contact with the LCD temp screen.

It's definitely a grounding or electrical issue or poor quality electronics.

I don't think BMW can fix it, perhaps an electrician can insulate the wires or add some sort of insulating foam behind this LCD screen???
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #11
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Cheap short-cuts for a few hundred bucks, ......seriously?

This coupled with the removal of passenger side dimming/anti-dazzle is ridiculous. I code the driver's side off now for symmetry but it is a huge annoyance. MB did this first a few years ago and I hated it there, now that it's on our daily it bothers me even more.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 2021 X5

Yea i just replied to the other post on this topic..

I'll just quote:

Picked up a new 2021 x5 about 2 weeks ago, the problem is present since day 1 i think...Picked up near Toronto here in Canada.
After i discovered it i wanted to make sure its not my ears that are ringing on their own, i downloaded this sound spectrum analyzer app on my phone and DID see big spikes around 8k and 11k Hz point, when i put the phone near the idrive screen or the small AC control screen.

So, i took it back to the dealership, they looked at it and this is what they told me:
1, Another customer also reported this.
2, they sat into a demo x5 and noticed the same noise.
3, so they checked it out and believe this noise is from a tiny cooling fan within the front dash body, and this is NORMAL. so they told me "i guess you will have to live with it".

Well, i tried to live with it...but i couldn't. Not only it is mentally bugging me, but also it is kinda hurting my ears after a short road trip...

So i called BMW customer service and they say they will talk to the dealership to find out what they can do.

I came from Mercedes because i heard many good things about X5/X6 lol but if this is what i get for 100 grand CAD ...that would suck.

Will update when i hear from the customer service...if they actually do anything about this.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #13
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Ok, I figured it out today after touching and prodding at everything on the dash.

If I gently rest the back of my finger on the temperature LCD, the noise completely stops...as if my skin is insulating it.

Im not blocking the noise, as just a small portion of the back of my finger is in contact with the LCD temp screen.

It's definitely a grounding or electrical issue or poor quality electronics.

I don't think BMW can fix it, perhaps an electrician can insulate the wires or add some sort of insulating foam behind this LCD screen???

I agree with this. Its very likely to be a electrical/circuit design problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #14
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

I am wondering if anyone has returned the car after finding this problem?
Is it an option in Canada?

I like the car a lot, but i reeealy can not drive with this noise...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #15
ladra
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 2021

Does anyone have any update on this high pitch noise issue with the AC display?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 07:12 AM   #16
Markw88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i E92

Does anyone have any update on this issue? Just acquired a 2019 X5 G05 with the same problem and wondering if there's anything I can do to resolve! Thanks
Appreciate 0