BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2024, 05:38 PM   #1
MadameLV85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e

Unhappy "Damaged" battery - Please help

First off- I apologize if this is in the wrong topic section. I'm coming here to get your opinions as you're all far better informed on me regarding my car and I'm just plain frustrated.

Last Thursday my 2022 X5 45e with 29k miles would not start. I called BMW roadside, they weren't able to jumpstart it. They sent out a tow truck who was able to briefly start it, but 1/2 way out of my garage it died again with a "overheating" warning. We couldn't even put it into neutral, and it had to be dragged onto the flatbed.

Fast forward to today and this is what the dealership sends me.

FOUND 12V BATTERY AT 4.6 VOLTS- NOT OK. JUMP STARTED VEHICLE AND PULLED INTO SHOP. FOUND OBD II COMPONENT IN STALLED AT OBD PORT... PERFORMED VEHICLE TEST AND FOUND SEVERAL UNDERVOLTAGE FAULTS IN THE VEHICLE. NO BATTERY PARASITIC DRAWS NOTED AT THIS TIME DURING ENERGY DIAGNOSIS. FOUND FAULTS FOR BATTERY TOTAL DISCHARGE AND FAULT FOR LIGHT ACTIVE, STARTABILITY LIMIT REACHED. CHECKED BATTERY AND FULLY CHARGED AFTER SEVERAL HOURS. LET VEHICLE SLEEP OVER WEEKEND AND RECHECKED FAULTS AGAIN AND FOUND UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT PRESENT IMMEDIATELY WHEN STARTING THE VEHICLE. SUSPECT 12V BATTERY IS DAMAGED DUE TO FULL DISCHARGE DUE TO OBD II DEVICE OR LIGHTS LEFT ON, OR BOTH. BATTERY FAILED LOAD TEST, RATED AT 850CCA, TESTED AT 47CCA- BATTERY FAILED. RECOMMEND REPLACE 12V BATTERY AND REGISTER AND RECHECK

The OBD II (Carseat safety) device and/or a light being left on in a less than 2.5-year-old vehicle would not fully drain and damage a battery. Note the fact that NO parasitic draws were found. I know this is complete bullshit. They're trying to get me to pay $950. Please help.

ALSO - The dealership wants to charge $700 for an alignment. My two rear tires are balding on the inside edge. I have no idea how my alignment could be that bad. I was rear-ended in May '22 but had the vehicle repaired by a BMW-certified body shop. Any opinion or advice on this would help too. I also find the price insulting.

Again, my apologies if I haven't explained everything properly. I really just need advice.

Thanks

Last edited by MadameLV85; 01-30-2024 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 05:45 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The manual warns that nothing should be left in the OBD port, as many devices do not shut off and the vehicle leaves power to that port all of the time. After removing that device, and testing, it makes some sense that they did not detect any parasitic draws. It is possible to program the vehicle to shut off power to the OBD port when the vehicle is turned off, but a dealer won't do that. That can make later servicing more problematic.

$700 for an alignment is about $500 high, in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
E91toG05344.00
      01-30-2024, 06:11 PM   #3
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
You can buy a lifetime alignment at Firestone, good for any shop in the US, for under $200. Good as long as you own the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:46 PM   #4
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

I think you will have trouble getting out of the $950 charge. They found a device in the OBD port that should not have been there. Not sure on the X5 but many cars have the OBD port live all the time and the battery could have been drained with your device. Proving to a dealer rep, that knows little to nothing about electronics, that your OBD device did not drain and damage your battery is going to be difficult and expensive.

$700 is quite high for an alignment. You will need to find a shop that can read the steering angle sensor when they do the alignment. Not all of them have that equipment.

The lesson I have learned is the dealer is NOT your friend. They will pretend to be. But they are there to take as much of your money as they possibly can.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:48 PM   #5
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
It’s possible there nothing wrong with your alignment. Tires wear fast. Pay to get your battery replaced and move on. Cars are sensitive now a days.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 07:01 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I would suggest doing the battery yourself. You can get the battery for under $200. Buy Bimmerlink and an Adapter for about $100 to do the registration and you will be set.
X6ix GTA142.00
eelnoraa2032.50
      01-30-2024, 07:47 PM   #7
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I agree with the TurtleBoy. You can buy a quality battery for under $300. My local Battery Warehouse store recommended a local shop that will install and register the battery for $150.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:05 PM   #8
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameLV85 View Post
The OBD II (Carseat safety) device and/or a light being left on in a less than 2.5-year-old vehicle would not fully drain and damage a battery. Note the fact that NO parasitic draws were found. I know this is complete bullshit. They're trying to get me to pay $950. Please help.
I wouldn’t assume any of that. It was just a few years ago when BMW considered it normal to replace the 12V battery at every annual service.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

Quote:
ALSO - The dealership wants to charge $700 for an alignment. My two rear tires are balding on the inside edge. I have no idea how my alignment could be that bad. I was rear-ended in May '22 but had the vehicle repaired by a BMW-certified body shop. Any opinion or advice on this would help too. I also find the price insulting.
Yeah, that’s pretty ridiculous for an alignment.
      01-30-2024, 08:06 PM   #9
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I agree with the TurtleBoy. You can buy a quality battery for under $300. My local Battery Warehouse store recommended a local shop that will install and register the battery for $150.
You can get a good battery at Sam's in or Costco for WAY under $300. Theyre under $200.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:20 PM   #10
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
I would inform the dealer I’ll be over to pick it up drive it to the next dealer. Tell them you’re having some starting issues you think the battery bad if they’re good enough to replace it under warranty, then proceeded to talk to them about the alignment. don’t mention anything about being at the local dealer, if your dealers in the next state drive over there
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:22 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i'm just past 3 years and 25k miles on my 2021 45e, and i've been seeing quite a few reports of sudden, dead 12V batteries. i mentioned my concern to my SA last month at the 3-year maintenance, but i don't think they checked them

$700 alignment is ridiculous. i paid $200 for a 4-wheel alignment a few months ago after replacing all four tires due to inner edge wear (surprisingly the fronts, too). camber was close to -2º, so he decreased that a bit (not to 0º), but he said toe was significantly off.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:54 PM   #12
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
$700 alignment is ridiculous. i paid $200 for a 4-wheel alignment a few months ago after replacing all four tires due to inner edge wear. camber was close to -2º, so he decreased that a bit (not to 0º), but he said toe was significantly off.
Agree with you. BMW has traditionally put a lot of negative camber in the rear. It provides for better handling at the cost of inner edge wear. The solution is to ask your alignment guy to set it near the minimum camber settings rather than mid-range. You probably won't notice the difference in handling, and the tires will wear more evenly.
      01-31-2024, 12:26 AM   #13
MadameLV85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i'm just past 3 years and 25k miles on my 2021 45e, and i've been seeing quite a few reports of sudden, dead 12V batteries. i mentioned my concern to my SA last month at the 3-year maintenance, but i don't think they checked them

$700 alignment is ridiculous. i paid $200 for a 4-wheel alignment a few months ago after replacing all four tires due to inner edge wear (surprisingly the fronts, too). camber was close to -2º, so he decreased that a bit (not to 0º), but he said toe was significantly off.
I saw that too, and I've pointed it out to the service agent. He told me he'd try to see what he can do and will get back with me tomorrow.

Good to know on the alignment info. I'll bring that up with whoever I have align the tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:31 AM   #14
MadameLV85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
I would inform the dealer I’ll be over to pick it up drive it to the next dealer. Tell them you’re having some starting issues you think the battery bad if they’re good enough to replace it under warranty, then proceeded to talk to them about the alignment. don’t mention anything about being at the local dealer, if your dealers in the next state drive over there
But won't the other dealer know of the issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I wouldn’t assume any of that. It was just a few years ago when BMW considered it normal to replace the 12V battery at every annual service.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

Yeah, that’s pretty ridiculous for an alignment.
Intersting... I may have to bring this up as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I would suggest doing the battery yourself. You can get the battery for under $200. Buy Bimmerlink and an Adapter for about $100 to do the registration and you will be set.
I think I'm going to go down this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
I think you will have trouble getting out of the $950 charge. They found a device in the OBD port that should not have been there. Not sure on the X5 but many cars have the OBD port live all the time and the battery could have been drained with your device. Proving to a dealer rep, that knows little to nothing about electronics, that your OBD device did not drain and damage your battery is going to be difficult and expensive.

$700 is quite high for an alignment. You will need to find a shop that can read the steering angle sensor when they do the alignment. Not all of them have that equipment.

The lesson I have learned is the dealer is NOT your friend. They will pretend to be. But they are there to take as much of your money as they possibly can.
I've definitely learned that lesson this time around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
You can buy a lifetime alignment at Firestone, good for any shop in the US, for under $200. Good as long as you own the vehicle.
Thank you. I'm going to look into this. What a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The manual warns that nothing should be left in the OBD port, as many devices do not shut off and the vehicle leaves power to that port all of the time. After removing that device, and testing, it makes some sense that they did not detect any parasitic draws. It is possible to program the vehicle to shut off power to the OBD port when the vehicle is turned off, but a dealer won't do that. That can make later servicing more problematic.

$700 for an alignment is about $500 high, in my opinion.
I was under the assumption he tested it before taking it out. I'll find out. I still don't see how an OBD device and/or leaving the light on can damage a less than 2.5-year-old battery.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll find out tomorrow what the service agent was able to get done for me. Worst case, I'll just drive it home and have a new battery installed. I'm disgusted by the pricing that the dealership has for everything. The total for everything they say I need is 3k, on a vehicle under warranty and less than 2.5 years old. I just feel like they're trying to swindle me.

I'm also definitely throwing out that device. I'm going to call the car seat manufacturer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:42 AM   #15
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameLV85 View Post
I was under the assumption he tested it before taking it out. I'll find out. I still don't see how an OBD device and/or leaving the light on can damage a less than 2.5-year-old battery.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll find out tomorrow what the service agent was able to get done for me. Worst case, I'll just drive it home and have a new battery installed. I'm disgusted by the pricing that the dealership has for everything. The total for everything they say I need is 3k, on a vehicle under warranty and less than 2.5 years old. I just feel like they're trying to swindle me.

I'm also definitely throwing out that device. I'm going to call the car seat manufacturer tomorrow.
That’s how they got their name stealerships I never take my cars back to the dealer all they do is rip you off I don’t even care if they give you a free oil changes or free service. I just do it myself. and yes, if my car needs a battery, I’m not going to the dealer I’m going to the closest parts store and see what the availability is and doing it myself I would never pay that price
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 02:00 AM   #16
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

I’ll throw out an opposite viewpoint on dealers - you’ve identified one who’s not good.

I have the good fortune of having a master Ford mechanic for a best friend, who before returning to Ford worked as a BMW and later a Mini tech - so I’ve got someone to run things past. My local dealer has been wonderful - service, repairs and parts have been reasonable.

The one time I had a minor problem, the SA corrected it, and ten minutes later called to let me know that he’d reversed the credit card charge for my oil change and tire swap.

So - shop for a better dealer. Good luck!
Appreciate 2
X6ix GTA142.00
swainbmw525.50
      01-31-2024, 05:44 AM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
I’ll throw out an opposite viewpoint on dealers - you’ve identified one who’s not good.

I have the good fortune of having a master Ford mechanic for a best friend, who before returning to Ford worked as a BMW and later a Mini tech - so I’ve got someone to run things past. My local dealer has been wonderful - service, repairs and parts have been reasonable.

The one time I had a minor problem, the SA corrected it, and ten minutes later called to let me know that he’d reversed the credit card charge for my oil change and tire swap. So - shop for a better dealer. Good luck!
i can also attest that not all are 'stealerships'. ours has been honest and good to us since 2008. not once have they tried to swindle some un-needed service or quoted an exorbitant price for recommended, out of warranty repairs.

that said, i replaced all tires at Discount Tire and had my alignment done at an outside shop that specializes in custom alignments because it was urgent, and BMW couldn’t accommodate me soon enough. I would consider the prices I paid were fair market value.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:52 AM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Also, the parts department at your local BMW dealership may sell the BMW branded batteries for about the same cost of an aftermarket battery.

It only costs more money if you pay to have the dealership install & register the battery through the service department.

If you go to the Parts department and buy the battery yourself (and register it yourself if you have the tools)…the cost drops drastically.

The larger 105AH battery usually runs between $200-$240 in many recent threads across several forums. Unfortunately I haven’t seen what the cost is for the slightly smaller 95AH battery…but again, if that’s the one you have, you can simply call your local dealership’s parts department (not the service dept) to get a price quote.

My local BMW dealership had the lowest price for the 105AH battery when I replaced it last year…I was out the door for $227 after the $18 core charge return.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:35 AM   #19
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Also, the parts department at your local BMW dealership may sell the BMW branded batteries for about the same cost of an aftermarket battery.

It only costs more money if you pay to have the dealership install & register the battery through the service department.

If you go to the Parts department and buy the battery yourself (and register it yourself if you have the tools)…the cost drops drastically.

The larger 105AH battery usually runs between $200-$240 in many recent threads across several forums. Unfortunately I haven’t seen what the cost is for the slightly smaller 95AH battery…but again, if that’s the one you have, you can simply call your local dealership’s parts department (not the service dept) to get a price quote.

My local BMW dealership had the lowest price for the 105AH battery when I replaced it last year…I was out the door for $227 after the $18 core charge return.
Best thing to do is talk to the parts department, or other online resources, compared to auto parts stores for the best value
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:00 AM   #20
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post

The one time I had a minor problem, the SA corrected it, and ten minutes later called to let me know that he’d reversed the credit card charge for my oil change and tire swap.

So - shop for a better dealer. Good luck!
You have obviously been lucky. I have not. That is one reason I do almost everything except warranty work on my cars.

For what the dealers charge, they should be the BEST. A person should not have to shop for a decent on.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:07 AM   #21
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Firestone is not a good shop. Don’t.
Appreciate 1
eluded3046.00
      01-31-2024, 12:15 PM   #22
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
Firestone is not a good shop. Don’t.
I don't think that is a fair assessment of any chain. I am sure there are good and bad shops, each with good and bad mechanics. It is hard to know until you can assess them. With alignments, look at the printed results and measure/monitor your tire wear periodically.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50