BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-08-2024, 10:26 PM   #1
BringMyWallet!
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport Package

Oil Change led to Oil Leak

Recent nightmare of an experience over the past weekend. Got an oil change at a BMW Dealer, drove 40-50 miles while on my way home and was halfway home before my vehicle informed me to pull over with a Low Oil Pressure warning. Come to find out, oil was leaking everywhere, it spread all throughout the underbody and on the entire backside of the vehicle due to aerodynamics. Had it towed to limit risk of engine damage.

Today they discovered the service tech over torqued the drain bolt to a point of stripping and upon driving it slipped out resulting in the oil draining all over.

It was a major inconvenience waiting for tow truck, no vehicle throughout the weekend through today and the stress associated of what in the world has happened! Most I’ve paid for a premium oil change that resulted in a nightmare of a situation.

They say the engine is fine and that I did the right thing following the vehicles direction. They put an oversized new part and bolt apparently that is a BMW part for situations like this that do happen.

What would you expect of the dealer to further ensure no engine damage?

What would you expect in this happened to you in regards to compensating for time, future risk, days of inconvenience, stress, etc?

Thank you for your insight!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:55 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Strip drain plug, I would expect a lower oil pan replacement. A larger plug on a stripped hole isn’t going to hold up in subsequent oil change.
davchr80.50
1Boxer34.50
      01-08-2024, 10:56 PM   #3
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Dealer: Opens hood, looks at engine. Yep, engine is fine.
      01-10-2024, 02:31 PM   #4
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

OP. Was it stripped and was it simply a issue that the tech forgot the crush washer...

I can see a INDY doing an oversized plug but one would presume, assume a dealer would do a new pan....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 10:13 AM   #5
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

The dealer damaged the pan. He should replace, NOT just repair it. If he does not want to replace it, get an estimate for replacement from a BMW dealer and small claims him for that amount. Also, complain to BMWNA.

Change the oil yourself. It is quite simple. You will save time, money, and know that it is done right.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:59 PM   #6
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
The dealer damaged the pan. He should replace, NOT just repair it. If he does not want to replace it, get an estimate for replacement from a BMW dealer and small claims him for that amount. Also, complain to BMWNA.

Change the oil yourself. It is quite simple. You will save time, money, and know that it is done right.
Absolutely very easy to do oil change are easy maintenance
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:02 PM   #7
2heeldrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

Did the oil pressure drop to zero or did the low oil light come on? No oil pressure is obviously very bad for the engine bearings.

An oversized drain plug will likely not last very long. At the very least, the stripped threads in the pan should be repaired with a Timesert plug. That would be considered to be a permanent repair. The other (and best) solution is a new pan, which I'm sure the dealer will NOT want to do.

I would also push for a warranty extension on the engine just in case there is any potential damage from running out of oil.

You might have to get legal representation to get them to do the right thing.

When a dealer makes a costly mistake... they are always going to take the cheap and easy way out.

Sorry you have to deal with this. It is unfortunately a very common mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

If you really want to be sure send a oil sample to blackstone labs and let them do a full analysis on what they see in your oil. If something was damaged it will show elevated metal content in the oil.