BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Weird pressure noise when driving in the rain

So I noticed this pressure/static noise coming from somewhere while driving in the rain.

It kind of sounds like static or water shooting out of a crack in a hose at high pressure.

The sound would only come at higher speeds 50+ and would go away when slowing down.

I first I didn't think anything of it, thought it was Sirius static but then I noticed a pattern with the speed differences.

There's no water leaking anywhere, so i dont think its the windshield or sunroof. Wonder what this is.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 11:41 PM   #2
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i Pure 2002 JCW Cooper

Tyres?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Nosse View Post
Tyres?
Its not rhythmic or anything. It just sounds like a jet of water leaking out of a cracked garden hose at high pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Nosse View Post
Tyres?
Its not rhythmic or anything. It just sounds like a jet of water leaking out of a cracked garden hose at high pressure.
If it is a hissing sound check for coolant leaks just to be safe. I am assuming the car isn't over heating. But usually with a hissing sound that is what I would check.

Could also be water touching a hot engine part and the rapid evaporation causing the noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
If it is a hissing sound check for coolant leaks just to be safe. I am assuming the car isn't over heating. But usually with a hissing sound that is what I would check.

Could also be water touching a hot engine part and the rapid evaporation causing the noise.
Coolant level is good. That water touching the engine at high speed actually makes sense. Could possible be that. It sounds just like squirting water on a hot pan.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So it happened again with the wet roads in my F96 today.

It wasn't raining, but since hurricane henri rolled through with just some rain all night, the roads were wet today.

And like clock work, once I hit like 40 MPH, this weird staticy noise fills the cabin, mostly on the front right passenger area.

BMW water tested the car and it was fine they said.

It wasn't even raining, just the roads were damp and the noise came.

If im driving through a road with some dry patches, the noise will literally stop as I go through the dry areas and start again once I drive through the wet areas.

Could it really be the P Zero tires just pushing the water around and this noise is normal or what?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 03:17 PM   #7
bimmerman_x5f15
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Same Issue

I just got my F15 X5 (bought a pre-owned car). I drove from dealership and it started raining on my way.

When I am driving in rain and on wet road, there is water hissing sound coming from under the trunk area. If I slow down to speeds less than 20mph, it goes away.

I wonder what could be causing the hissing sound? I appreciate if anyone can pitch in their thoughts or comments.
Appreciate 0