BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
MTI422
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

2021 X5 M50i DHP Rough Ride

Hello from a long-time reader, just registered. Recently I traded in a 2016 X3 35i (6-cylinder) for a CPO 2021 X5 M50i (8-cylinder). My question concerns the X5 ride. It has 20” wheels with new Pirelli run-flats and the Dynamic Handling Package: ZDH that includes 2VH Integral Active Steering, 2VW Adaptive M Suspension Professional, and ZX5 Active Roll Stabilization (and no air suspension). My concern is about the X5 ride as compared to the X3, which has 19” wheels, also new Pirelli run-flats, and the M Sport Package with 225 regular suspension and 2VG Performance Control (whatever that is). Whereas the ride of the X3 around town was planted and supple I’ve found the X5 to be a little harsh in comfort mode (sport mode is harsher of course). With the X3 we could cruise over road humps without hardly slowing down but the X5 is pretty firm and tends to buck back and forth like a rocking horse when going over the humps and bad/undulating city streets. The 2021 X5 settles down quickly but bucks before doing so, where the 2016 X3 simply settles after an upset. I can crash through the road humps with the X5, of course, but it’s not as comfortable as the X3 even with the much better seats in the X5. I had a 2010 X5 35d at one time and its ride was a little firm until I changed out of run-flats to regular tires but this X5 has no spare and I’ll be keeping the run-flats. Both the X3 and X5 have new Pirelli tires--I actually liked the Pirelli run-flats on the X3, which were surprisingly smooth and quiet. Of course, the X5 with DHP corners flat as a pancake, tracks straight as an arrow, and has a short turning radius, which is all great. I test drove the X5 mostly on freeway and better side roads. Had I noticed the rougher ride it wouldn’t have changed my mind because I really liked the vehicle. It’s very nice on road trips, of which we’ve had a couple already. But now she’ll be complaining about the X5’s somewhat harsh ride around town rather than complaining about hitting her head getting into the X3--such is life. So my question to you all is this: Is this X5 comfort mode ride that I’m describing typical of the heavier V8 (with presumably firmer suspension/springs) or is it a function of DHP, or both? I’d like to know your opinions for the next time I get an X5--and there will definitely be a next time. Then perhaps I’ll order air suspension, hopefully available, even though maintenance and air suspension replacement parts are very high (her car is a GL450 and we replaced all the shocks and air suspension components on it at 70K miles/9 yrs.). Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 06:05 AM   #2
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI422 View Post
Hello from a long-time reader, just registered. Recently I traded in a 2016 X3 35i (6-cylinder) for a CPO 2021 X5 M50i (8-cylinder). My question concerns the X5 ride. It has 20” wheels with new Pirelli run-flats and the Dynamic Handling Package: ZDH that includes 2VH Integral Active Steering, 2VW Adaptive M Suspension Professional, and ZX5 Active Roll Stabilization (and no air suspension). My concern is about the X5 ride as compared to the X3, which has 19” wheels, also new Pirelli run-flats, and the M Sport Package with 225 regular suspension and 2VG Performance Control (whatever that is). Whereas the ride of the X3 around town was planted and supple I’ve found the X5 to be a little harsh in comfort mode (sport mode is harsher of course). With the X3 we could cruise over road humps without hardly slowing down but the X5 is pretty firm and tends to buck back and forth like a rocking horse when going over the humps and bad/undulating city streets. The 2021 X5 settles down quickly but bucks before doing so, where the 2016 X3 simply settles after an upset. I can crash through the road humps with the X5, of course, but it’s not as comfortable as the X3 even with the much better seats in the X5. I had a 2010 X5 35d at one time and its ride was a little firm until I changed out of run-flats to regular tires but this X5 has no spare and I’ll be keeping the run-flats. Both the X3 and X5 have new Pirelli tires—I actually liked the Pirelli run-flats on the X3, which were surprisingly smooth and quiet. Of course, the X5 with DHP corners flat as a pancake, tracks [...]
I had a very similar experience in the x5 m50. I believe it is the weight as I did not experience the same in the 40i, and others can correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe there is a lot of difference btw the comfort suspenion modes of the two models, even if you have DHP as an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 07:05 AM   #3
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI422 View Post
Hello from a long-time reader, just registered. Recently I traded in a 2016 X3 35i (6-cylinder) for a CPO 2021 X5 M50i (8-cylinder). My question concerns the X5 ride. It has 20” wheels with new Pirelli run-flats and the Dynamic Handling Package: ZDH that includes 2VH Integral Active Steering, 2VW Adaptive M Suspension Professional, and ZX5 Active Roll Stabilization (and no air suspension). My concern is about the X5 ride as compared to the X3, which has 19” wheels, also new Pirelli run-flats, and the M Sport Package with 225 regular suspension and 2VG Performance Control (whatever that is). Whereas the ride of the X3 around town was planted and supple I’ve found the X5 to be a little harsh in comfort mode (sport mode is harsher of course). With the X3 we could cruise over road humps without hardly slowing down but the X5 is pretty firm and tends to buck back and forth like a rocking horse when going over the humps and bad/undulating city streets. The 2021 X5 settles down quickly but bucks before doing so, where the 2016 X3 simply settles after an upset. I can crash through the road humps with the X5, of course, but it’s not as comfortable as the X3 even with the much better seats in the X5. I had a 2010 X5 35d at one time and its ride was a little firm until I changed out of run-flats to regular tires but this X5 has no spare and I’ll be keeping the run-flats. Both the X3 and X5 have new Pirelli tires—I actually liked the Pirelli run-flats on the X3, which were surprisingly smooth and quiet. Of course, the X5 with DHP corners flat as a pancake, tracks [...]
Coming from non BMWs cars, I had the same observation as yours, the back n forth bounce. I think it's a characteristic of the M Adaptive suspension. My 40i feels very planted on smooth surfaces, but on rough roads the back n forth is more than I would like. Next time around I'll consider going for air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 10:43 AM   #4
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
Coming from non BMWs cars, I had the same observation as yours, the back n forth bounce. I think it's a characteristic of the M Adaptive suspension. My 40i feels very planted on smooth surfaces, but on rough roads the back n forth is more than I would like. Next time around I'll consider going for air suspension.
I have the same experience also mine has the 22s and I would say it’s the m adaptive suspension that creates the rocking over rough surfaces, and mine is a 40i
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      09-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #5
MTI422
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Thanks for all your replies. Since 40i owners report the same behavior then it's probably the sportier M suspension, perhaps worsened by the extra weight of the V-8. Of course it is a BMW--not a floater like the GL450--and the rocking really isn't that bad. It's just different than the X3 35i and we'll get used to it. I simply need to be a little more careful on rough roads if I have a passenger. Agree that air suspension will most likely help, so until next time . . . Thanks again!
Appreciate 0