BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Road Trip out East

After a little over a year with the X5, finally got a chance to stretch its legs (much needed too, severely under-miles on the lease... thanks covid). Overall I'm thoroughly impressed with it, and that's saying a lot because I tend to be critical about things in general. I'm really hard-pressed to find faults.

My impressions on my first road trip with the G05:
  • This car is a road trip dream. I always appreciated how smooth and quiet it was, but I was blown away by it on this road trip
  • Acoustic glass is absolutely incredible. In previous road trips, passing a large semi you would hear it howling. In this car, the passing a huge semi is barely audible. Here's to hoping acoustic glass makes a comeback in subsequent models
  • Air suspension was also excellent. On straight highway road you feel like you're gliding across the road. Patches of uneven pavement that should unsettle the car are barely noticeable.
  • In the twisties, dropping it into sport+ mode firms everything up nicely so you can take the corners with some level of confidence. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a sports car, and I was wholeheartedly missing my 3 series, but the X5 did an admirable job.
  • I didn't fully appreciate the seat massage until I had been sitting for hours. Normally where we'd have to stop just to stretch our legs, we could prolong the drive just a little bit longer by turning on the massage.
  • Driving assistant also helped tremendously, especially on the long, boring stretches. The car more or less driving itself was a game-changer for such long drives.
  • The heated and cooled cupholders actually work! Our morning coffee stayed warmer, longer. And our water bottles remained cooler, longer as well. They don't cool down a warm beverage or warm up a cold beverage, but if you've got an already hot cup of coffee, the heated cupholder will help it stay warmer much longer than if it were a regular cupholder.


I'm currently at my destination so I'll have more pictures whenever we head back home.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE

Last edited by wtwo3; 10-28-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Coincidentally, Chicago's first snow of the season marked the start of our trip.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 2
Auricom1605.50
Alan l.3464.50

      10-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Most of the trip was through rain, but at least we got nice fall colors to enjoy looking at regardless of how gloomy the weather was.

As a side note, don't worry, I wasn't cruising in the left lane. Both of these were during passing.
Attached Images
  
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

First and only fill-up for the trip.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 2
Auricom1605.50

      10-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Deep Creek Lake in Maryland was our stop for the night and the views were incredible.
Attached Images
     
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 2
Auricom1605.50

      10-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Finally on to the twisties and our final leg of the journey before reaching the destination. At this point the car's in desperate need of a wash.
Attached Images
      
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 2
Auricom1605.50

      10-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
Paladin1
Major
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
525
Rep
1,002
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport, Arctic Gr
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M Sport  [0.00]
Thanks @wtwo3! About to make a similar trip from Nebraska to Tennessee - one thing I did like about my previous Q7 was what a great highway cruiser it was (setting aside the negatives of in-town throttle response, Nav and overall handling). Hoping for the same from the G05.
Appreciate 1
wtwo31288.00

      10-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Thanks @wtwo3! About to make a similar trip from Nebraska to Tennessee - one thing I did like about my previous Q7 was what a great highway cruiser it was (setting aside the negatives of in-town throttle response, Nav and overall handling). Hoping for the same from the G05.
You'll love it. I honestly wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I was. As good as a city driver the X5 is, it's even better out on the open road.
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
642
Rep
1,545
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
After a little over a year with the X5, finally got a chance to stretch its legs (much needed too, severely under-miles on the lease... thanks covid). Overall I'm thoroughly impressed with it, and that's saying a lot because I tend to be critical about things in general. I'm really hard-pressed to find faults.

My impressions on my first road trip with the G05:
  • This car is a road trip dream. I always appreciated how smooth and quiet it was, but I was blown away by it on this road trip
  • Acoustic glass is absolutely incredible. In previous road trips, passing a large semi you would hear it howling. In this car, the passing a huge semi is barely audible. Here's to hoping acoustic glass makes a comeback in subsequent models
  • Air suspension was also excellent. On straight highway road you feel like you're gliding across the road. Patches of uneven pavement that should unsettle the car are barely noticeable.
  • In the twisties, dropping it into sport+ mode firms everything up nicely so you can take the corners with some level of confidence. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a sports car, and I was wholeheartedly missing my 3 series, but the X5 did an admirable job.
  • I didn't fully appreciate the seat massage until I had been sitting for hours. Normally where we'd have to stop just to stretch our legs, we could prolong the drive just a little bit longer by turning on the massage.
  • Driving assistant also helped tremendously, especially on the long, boring stretches. The car more or less driving itself was a game-changer for such long drives.
  • The heated and cooled cupholders actually work! Our morning coffee stayed warmer, longer. And our water bottles remained cooler, longer as well. They don't cool down a warm beverage or warm up a cold beverage, but if you've got an already hot cup of coffee, the heated cupholder will help it stay warmer much longer than if it were a regular cupholder.


I'm currently at my destination so I'll have more pictures whenever we head back home.
That stretch through the Blue ridge mountains was probably the highlight of the trip, I imagine.
Appreciate 1
wtwo31288.00

      10-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #10
wtwo3
Major
wtwo3's Avatar
1288
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
That stretch through the Blue ridge mountains was probably the highlight of the trip, I imagine.
Definitely - my first time driving through them (in the past we've more or less driven around them to get to the destination faster). Beautiful mountain views, sprawling green fields, hairpin turns... this is also where I was wishing for my 3 series. But I couldn't fault the X5, it did a pretty good job all things considered.

We had actually planned to drive through Shenandoah National Park on Skyline drive, but my daughter began feeling nauseous and carsick just getting to the park so we ended up scrapping that plan and drove straight to our destination.
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 1
VTENGR641.50

      10-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #11
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
DCwell3er's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Belleville, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Nice! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Enjoying life! Missing the warmth of the 305.
Appreciate 1
wtwo31288.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST