BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

Sensatec vs Vernasca

Is there a convincing reason to stay away from sensatec and upgrade to vernasca leather on the X5? I know vernasca gives you nice white contrast stitching (I’m looking at the black interior), a striped center seat design, and a stitched line across the upper door panels above the armrest. Cosmetically, these look great, but how much nicer is the real leather from a comfort perspective? My concerns with sensatec are its stiffness, stickiness in hot weather, and potential rubbery feeling (based on experience with MB-Tex), however I don’t have experience with bmw leatherette to know how valid these concerns are.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Sensatec is plastic. Vernasca is real leather. I had a X5 loaner with Sensatec and it felt like vinyl and very out of place in a vehicle like the X5. I personally would much rather have cloth upholstery than vinyl in any price point of vehicle.
Trying to decide how close vinyl feels like leather is like trying to judge the best generic brand of hotdogs when you where expecting steak.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I've tried the Sensatec and Vernasca in several models. Sensatec feels noticeably softer to me. I would prefer Sensatec over Vernasca. Even when it was called "leatherette" back in my old E46, the fake stuff felt softer. Held up great too.

On my X3, I only got Vernasca because it was the only way to get the ambient lighting at the time. There's more stitching in the seats but the stitching alone wouldn't be enough for me to want Vernasca.

On my X5, I upgraded to Merino cuz again, Vernasca felt awful.

Hopefully it's durable because IMO, Vernasca is one of the most stuff and uncomfortable leather on the market.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Sensatec is plastic. Vernasca is real leather. I had a X5 loaner with Sensatec and it felt like vinyl and very out of place in a vehicle like the X5. I personally would much rather have cloth upholstery than vinyl in any price point of vehicle.
Trying to decide how close vinyl feels like leather is like trying to judge the best generic brand of hotdogs when you where expecting steak.
+1 ... Sensatec has no place in an X5 ... just feels cheap I didn't even want the Vernasca ... was happy Merino was an option

Have the Vernasca in the Z4 and its just OK
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:11 AM   #5
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

I had a 330i loaner with Sensatec for of couple weeks while waiting for my X5 to arrive. The car was great, but Sensatec is vinyl. There's no getting around it...it just feels like what it is. I also agree, there's no place for it in an X5.
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:54 AM   #6
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

I have the Vernasca Leather which is standard in my '21 M50i and it is more than nice enough for me and I would guess just about any man. It is rather shocking to see how some guys need to sit on leather that is "sumptuous" and as soft as a baby's ass. Hey it's your money and your choice but jeeeezus, you are not buying your wife a pair of gloves or an LV purse here. How soft and cushy does your world really need to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I have the Vernasca Leather which is standard in my '21 M50i and it is more than nice enough for me and I would guess just about any man. It is rather shocking to see how some guys need to sit on leather that is "sumptuous" and as soft as a baby's ass. Hey it's your money and your choice but jeeeezus, you are not buying your wife a pair of gloves or an LV purse here. How soft and cushy does your world really need to be.
Why??????

It’s a shame you equate luxury in such a sexist way. You seem to be over compensating unnecessarily going out of your way forcing your own value system over and over again on a luxury vehicle forum which is now becoming bizarre.

We understand you are a person of simple taste but you need to stick your head up out of your bunker and realize you in a BMW luxury vehicle forum. No one is taking shots at your value system for not “manning up” the $$$ to go big or go home. That would be juvenile and insulting as not every one might have the means to afford these luxuries.
The G05/G07 forum is filled with very pleasant, helpful, and nonjudgmental members.

This constant shaming others implying they are not “manly enough” because they prefer a fully optioned luxury vehicle on a luxury car forum sounds like some counter culture kid telling his parents how they got it all wrong while living in their basement bitching about their extravagant taste.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-26-2020 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 9
      11-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

It would be nice to have a black and white answer on this but it seems everybody has a very different take on each material.

my take is that Merino is best for sure.. but require a lot more care to look good over time.

Vernasca is a tough leather which require no maintenance care

Sensatec is actually softer but synthetic, if BMW was not telling us it was sensatec I think most people would be fooled by it.

I, personaly believe Vernasca offer best compromise as I think leather will wear better than Sensatec, which I think will degrade and fall apart in long terms 10+ years, like most chemical based textile. And Merino will scratch and look crappy over time as well. So I am going with Vernasca. I have Dakota in my X5 10+ years and it looks great. I have never ever even wipes it I hope Vernasca will be as good.
      11-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why??????

It’s a shame you equate luxury in such a sexist way. You seem to be over compensating unnecessarily going out of your way forcing your own value system over and over again on a luxury vehicle forum which is now becoming bizarre.

We understand you are a person of simple taste but you need to stick your head up out of your bunker and realize you in a BMW luxury vehicle forum. No one is taking shots at your value system for not “manning up” the $$$ to go big or go home. That would be juvenile and insulting as not every one might have the means to afford these luxuries.
The G05/G07 forum is filled with very pleasant, helpful, and nonjudgmental members.

This constant shaming others implying they are not “manly enough” because they prefer a fully optioned luxury vehicle on a luxury car forum sounds like some counter culture kid telling his parents how they got it all wrong while living in their basement bitching about their extravagant taste.
Why do my opinions cause you such an obvious degree of anger which is well demonstrated by your need to make personal attacks on my character and preferences. You present yourself as a person who is very much in need of control and have no tolerance for perspectives that differ from your own, an sure sign of insecurity. You attack every post I make here on this subject which is actually pretty strange but once again a sure signal of your need to control. Possibly you see yourself in some position of authority where you have the ability to silence those who you find yourself in disagreement with.
Life is way to short to wrestle with these shortcomings. Lighten up and come to the realization that the rest of the world will never be marching in lockstep with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
It would be nice to have a black and white answer on this but it seems everybody has a very different take on each material.

my take is that Merino is best for sure.. but require a lot more care to look good over time.

Sensatec is actually softer but synthetic, if BMW was not telling us it was sensatec I think most people would be fooled by it.

I, personaly believe Vernasca offer best compromise as I think leather will wear better than Sensatec, which I think will degrade and fall apart in long terms 10+ years, like most chemical based textile. And Merino will scratch and look crappy over time as well. So I am going with Vernasca. I have Dakota in my X5 10+ years and it looks great. I have never ever even wipes it I hope Vernasca will be as good.
Yes, this is a sensible approach to the selection of interior material. The Vernasca does appear to be the best of the various choices here, an opinion that some here become aggressive about. LOL.
I don't expect the leather in my SUV to be that of the Ferragamo and various other Italian made premium grade shoes that I choose to wear.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post

Great choice. I think you'll be happy! All the best...I hope your wait is a short one
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Why do my opinions cause you such an obvious degree of anger which is well demonstrated by your need to make personal attacks on my character and preferences. You present yourself as a person who is very much in need of control and have no tolerance for perspectives that differ from your own, an sure sign of insecurity. You attack every post I make here on this subject which is actually pretty strange but once again a sure signal of your need to control. Possibly you see yourself in some position of authority where you have the ability to silence those who you find yourself in disagreement with.
Life is way to short to wrestle with these shortcomings. Lighten up and come to the realization that the rest of the world will never be marching in lockstep with you.
I could care less about your opinions and don’t disagree with some of your opinions in the past but question the reasoning to constantly add sexist “man up” comments to any feature you find unnecessary for a luxury vehicle and deem them as “effeminate”??? Not sure why or what your reasoning of assigning certain luxury items to being “too soft and for the ladies” and others are masculine enough?? A lot of new members come here for information and don’t need that kind of derogatory back handed compliments.

As a previous moderator on a few larger forums, I can assure you it’s not just myself noticing these juvenile digs.
You be you dude and I know you are new here but these sexist digs everywhere will get you bounced off this forum. The moderators have experience with these types of issues and won’t let that tone go on too long.

Some Forum rules of conduct:

1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Through the generations of BMW, enthusiasts have come together for the love of the car and the community. So the basic rules of real life apply here, show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it. Derogatory or insulting remarks will not be tolerated. This applies to all corners of the site - including posts, profile visitor messages, and thread tags.

2) Search. These forums tend to accumulate knowledge, and so when you have a question do a simple search first. Alot of times, the best answers will be found in old threads that have gone over the topic in detail. If you can't find your answer or are still unclear, then by all means don't be afraid and post your question.

3) Disagree, don't attack. Disagree on topics, but try to leave it at that. Just because you don't like someones opinion on the car's engine, doesn't mean you should call him and his mother all sorts of names Disagreements are awesome, and you should call someone on something you don't agree with, but don't go out of your way to insult and flame someone. Please consider if you would say to someone's face the same thing you are posting.

4) Help. Be helpful, we are all probably here because of a question and people will go out of their way to help you. Try to do the same if you have the answer to a question posted. BMW-E90 enthusiasts have to stick together. If you think not telling others about some technical info you have will make you and your car unique and prefer to be unique rather than share this information, then this forum is not for you. Help each other with questions and answers and I guarantee you, one

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-26-2020 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 4
thereef5101163.00
GlennC321.00
Paladin15457.50
rawskyb55.50
      11-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #13
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why??????

Oh, the irony
Appreciate 2
MystroX56244.50
Rodrick34.50
      11-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why??????

Spot on!!
Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      11-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

Interesting that sensatec is considered softer. I have heard complaints on this forum about sensatec being uncomfortable on long drives and am not surprised to hear that given that sensatec isn’t a “living” material like leather that can change and slacken over time. That said, it could be an issue with the cushioning on the sports seats, though my initial impression of those seats was quite positive, with no concerns about over-prominent bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

I made the mistake, against my better judgement to buy a showroom vehicle that was specified with imitation leather. It was a Mercedes E class. The salesman said i would have no problem with it. Well at 3 years and one month, the drivers seat seam split all the way along and Mercedes would not cover it as it was just out of warranty. It would not have happened with real leather.
Ive not made that mistake since.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
HouseMD
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

I would be concerned about resell value. How many people want to spend this much on a vehicle and get fake leather seats?
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      11-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMD View Post
I would be concerned about resell value. How many people want to spend this much on a vehicle and get fake leather seats?
Most consumers wouldn't know the difference unless it was pointed out.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #19
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I could care less about your opinions and don’t disagree with some of your opinions in the past but question the reasoning to constantly add sexist “man up” comments to any feature you find unnecessary for a luxury vehicle and deem them as “effeminate”??? Not sure why or what your reasoning of assigning certain luxury items to being “too soft and for the ladies” and others are masculine enough?? A lot of new members come here for information and don’t need that kind of derogatory back handed compliments.

As a previous moderator on a few larger forums, I can assure you it’s not just myself noticing these juvenile digs.
You be you dude and I know you are new here but these sexist digs everywhere will get you bounced off this forum. The moderators have experience with these types of issues and won’t let that tone go on too long.

Some Forum rules of conduct:

1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Through the generations of BMW, enthusiasts have come together for the love of the car and the community. So the basic rules of real life apply here, show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it. Derogatory or insulting remarks will not be tolerated. This applies to all corners of the site - including posts, profile visitor messages, and thread tags.

2) Search. These forums tend to accumulate knowledge, and so when you have a question do a simple search first. Alot of times, the best answers will be found in old threads that have gone over the topic in detail. If you can't find your answer or are still unclear, then by all means don't be afraid and post your question.

3) Disagree, don't attack. Disagree on topics, but try to leave it at that. Just because you don't like someones opinion on the car's engine, doesn't mean you should call him and his mother all sorts of names Disagreements are awesome, and you should call someone on something you don't agree with, but don't go out of your way to insult and flame someone. Please consider if you would say to someone's face the same thing you are posting.

4) Help. Be helpful, we are all probably here because of a question and people will go out of their way to help you. Try to do the same if you have the answer to a question posted. BMW-E90 enthusiasts have to stick together. If you think not telling others about some technical info you have will make you and your car unique and prefer to be unique rather than share this information, then this forum is not for you. Help each other with questions and answers and I guarantee you, one

Looks like #3 above is one that you should reread my friend. I've noticed how you seem to sport your various positions of authority such as Judge, Instructor, moderator. I'm sure we are all impressed and hopefully that gives you what ever validation that you are striving for.
Why don't you just lose the control and accept the fact that others may see things differently than you do. I really don't think it is necessary for you to inhibit others here from posting in your self appointed moderator capacity. let it go Man, don't see why you continue to force a disagreement with your personal attacks.
Lighten up and enjoy the holiday.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #20
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Why??????

+1 to this. It truly is a shame these responses are so juvenile, and even more of a shame the poster doesn't see how condescending the remarks are to others. Even after multiple people have tried nicely to point out this fact, still this poster insists and continues with the passive-aggressive comments to those who wish to spend some money on options that don't align with what they deem important to them.
Appreciate 5
      11-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #21
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlou View Post
+1 to this. It truly is a shame these responses are so juvenile, and even more of a shame the poster doesn't see how condescending the remarks are to others. Even after multiple people have tried nicely to point out this fact, still this poster insists and continues with the passive-aggressive comments to those who wish to spend some money on options that don't align with what they deem important to them.
Do you mean like in another thread where my X5 was referred to as a "tractor" because it did not have the ultimate, silky soft, sumptuous, Merino Leather?
This is all rather comical as it seems a couple here are trying to make this some kind of a PC issue as so many things in our world have become.
Enjoy your BMWs and any other vehicles you guys own and with whatever interior appointments they may have. No need for name calling and lectures.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #22
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why??????

BTW I'm coming back to BMW from Porsche. I don't need to "go big or go home" as you so condescendingly put it, I've already been there, done it, can afford these luxuries as you say and a whole lot more my friend.
Appreciate 0