BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #23
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
Those swirls are too deep for polish. You're going to need full paint correction. You actually need to cut the paint with compound to get rid of those.

Paint correction will be anywhere from $1300 to $2k depending on the car and stages needed.
Yep, this is what the guy told me, he said some panels might actually have to be cut twice. He will keep the car over the weekend to perform the work, he gave me an estimate of $1500.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #24
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Bumping this thread up, just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem with the Tanzanite II color. Its just weird to have it so badly scratched up after the very first wash, maybe the paint is too soft?

I did not polish the car yet, I am planning to do it before the new year, and have it protected to prevent the same thing from happening.
All it takes is one bad car wash and it could require 10+ hours worth of paint correction to make it near perfect again. It all depends just how bad the car wash you went to is. Was it hand wash? machine wash? dirty mitt? harsh dirty broom brush that they use on other peoples cars and wheels? I've seen all of that in the past and spent enough hours with a orbital buffer doing paint correction to realize that its either I hand wash it myself or its just not worth it to wash it at all at a car wash place. Even when i hand wash myself over time you will still leave minor marks on the paint but those can be removed with one stage polish.

Even places that does "handwashes" their mitts are filthy, questionable soaps used, scrubbing the car up and down as fast as they can. Then comes the drying part with again dirty rags that they use over and over again. As much as I hate driving a dirty car I just can't come to going to these places ever again.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 12-02-2020 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
Tenac4537.00
      12-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #25
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
All it takes is one bad car wash and it could require 10+ hours worth of paint correction to make it near perfect again. It all depends just how bad the car wash you went to is. Was it hand wash? machine wash? dirty mitt? harsh dirty broom brush that they use on other peoples cars and wheels? I've seen all of that in the past and spent enough hours with a orbital buffer doing paint correction to realize that its either I hand wash it myself or its just not worth it to wash it at all at a car wash place. Even when i hand wash myself over time you will still leave minor marks on the paint but those can be removed with one stage polish.

Even places that does "handwashes" their mitts are filthy, questionable soaps used, scrubbing the car up and down as fast as they can. Then comes the drying part with again dirty rags that they use over and over again. As much as I hate driving a dirty car I just can't come to going to these places ever again.

Alan

Yep, this is what the guy explained to me, and to add insult to the injury, it turns out most car washes actually recycle water. How often do they actually replace or clean the filters that the recycled water goes through?

I'll have the paint corrected, and a ceramic coat protection applied, but I'll avoid these car washes from now on.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #26
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
As much as I hate driving a dirty car I just can't come to going to these places ever again.
^^^ Prefect advise.
      12-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #27
davidlg16
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

with full PPF and ceramic coating on top, are you guys still avoiding car washes?

I am paying for those to avoid doing car washes myself
Past:
2018 X5M / 2015 740i / 2015 M4 / 2013 X5 35i / 2010 335i / 2004 Z4 / 2000 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #28
puckhead85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp, Lexus GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlg16 View Post
with full PPF and ceramic coating on top, are you guys still avoiding car washes?

those automatic carwashes are terrible. They have one job and that is to quickly clean your ca so they are very rough to get off all the dirt and other crap that's on the car. In theory it can damage the PPF and even strip the ceramic coating off because of the harsh chemicals they use. Its best to find a good detail shop and have them do a hand wash.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #29
fundamentals
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp.22 AMG SL63

Most Companies that do PPF and Ceramic Coating will tell you if you go to a car wash it may void your warranty.

it does pose an issue in the northeast winter months but I'm not going to ruin $4500 worth of work. That's why I spent the money.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #30
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlg16 View Post

I have both and am not avoiding any car washes.
Haven't had any issues. Put the car through car washes about twice a week
Appreciate 1
mvigod181.50
      12-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #31
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:

Alan
100% agree ... i've been meaning to start a "what's your X5M cleaning routine" thread ... I'll do it this weekend, with photos from tomorrow's wash
      12-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #32
fundamentals
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp.22 AMG SL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MC_LI View Post
I have both and am not avoiding any car washes.
Haven't had any issues. Put the car through car washes about twice a week
Good luck. Please keep us to date how the ceramic coating holds up to cars washes. When they use recycled water I get real Leary.

Hope things keep looking good.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #33
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundamentals View Post
Good luck. Please keep us to date how the ceramic coating holds up to cars washes. When they use recycled water I get real Leary.

Hope things keep looking good.
Ceramic coating starts to decay the moment you stop using PH Neutral soaps. It's the number one issues with any coating. If the car wash has a well enough system that uses high quality soaps and is touchless should be okay for awhile, but forget it once harsh soaps are applied.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #34
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Dropped the car off at the detailers shop, should have it back on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #35
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Picked it up from the guy, and the gloss is back. There are some minor scratches left that he couldn't get rid of, but you need to look really close to see them. I'd say the car is 90% like new, so I am pleased.

Appreciate 2
mvigod181.50
      12-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #36
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

No more outside car washes! DIY only.
      12-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #37
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Picked it up from the guy, and the gloss is back. There are some minor scratches left that he couldn't get rid of, but you need to look really close to see them. I'd say the car is 90% like new, so I am pleased.

Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Consider it perfect.

Most dealer prep is also garbage. When I picked mine up, it looked like dealer prep was done with sand paper. I complained to management and they agreed. They covered the cost of paint correction.

Be careful with washing, even with those mobile detailing folks.
Be sure they rinse out the mitt often, especially when going below the belt line. It doesn't matter if they pressure wash before and use a soap cannon to cover the whole car. If they don't rinse out the mitt, there's a high chance that they will pick up some debris from the front bumper / lower panels and drag that across your entire car. Rinse often and don't apply pressure when drying. I literally lay a towel down on the hood to absorb the water, then lift it straight up. No pressure no dragging.
Then go at it gently with a detailing cloth for any drips.

Is this crazy? Yes. But it depends how you want your car to look.
      12-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #38
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

I only go to car washes that advertise HAND WASH, if im too lazy to wash it myself. Those auto washes blow.

Also, it looks like you're in queens? Do you park your car outside? That could be the reason you have swirl marks and tiny scratches as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #39
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
I only go to car washes that advertise HAND WASH, if im too lazy to wash it myself. Those auto washes blow.

Also, it looks like you're in queens? Do you park your car outside? That could be the reason you have swirl marks and tiny scratches as well.
In Brooklyn, and yes I park outside, but that's not the source of those scratches.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #40
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
Consider it perfect.

Most dealer prep is also garbage. When I picked mine up, it looked like dealer prep was done with sand paper. I complained to management and they agreed. They covered the cost of paint correction.

Be careful with washing, even with those mobile detailing folks.
Be sure they rinse out the mitt often, especially when going below the belt line. It doesn't matter if they pressure wash before and use a soap cannon to cover the whole car. If they don't rinse out the mitt, there's a high chance that they will pick up some debris from the front bumper / lower panels and drag that across your entire car. Rinse often and don't apply pressure when drying. I literally lay a towel down on the hood to absorb the water, then lift it straight up. No pressure no dragging.
Then go at it gently with a detailing cloth for any drips.

Is this crazy? Yes. But it depends how you want your car to look.
I see you are in NYC, do you have a mobile detailer you can recommend?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #41
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
In Brooklyn, and yes I park outside, but that's not the source of those scratches.
I dunno man, lots of stray animals come out at night in BK. Raccoons, possums, cats, and wild people.

Those swirls are most certainly not from 1 car wash it seems, unless the guy use 500 grit sand paper to wash your car lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #42
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
I dunno man, lots of stray animals come out at night in BK. Raccoons, possums, cats, and wild people.

Those swirls are most certainly not from 1 car wash it seems, unless the guy use 500 grit sand paper to wash your car lol.
Tell me about it, still pisses me off just thinking how bad it was.

If I recall correctly, we bought the car in late August, and it was absolutely pristine. I think the first wash was in late September and right away it got swirls all over it.

Still pisses me off to even think about it. The guy repaired for me best he could, but there are still scratches when you inspect it closely. Even the plastic on the headlights and tail lights is scratched up.

For anyone in NYC, particularly Brooklyn, do not go to the Crystal Hand Wash on Stillwell Avenue.
Appreciate 1
ed41367.50
      03-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #43
khal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Hi
I know your problem with your car was a long time but I just saw this today because I was planning to have the same colour, but how’s your car now after all is it good, and the problem was from the last how the car was washed. Please let me know if possible. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #44
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

I have a 2021 Tanzanite Blue X5MC I bought as a CPO. It came with full PPF and ceramic coating and it has swirl marks EVERYWHERE. You can only see it in the sun but it absolutely drives me nuts especially after getting a wash. The car is from NH so I am assuming the previous owner ran it through the auto washes there frequently. The good news is that the swirls are on the PPF and not the actual paint. Anyone know if the swirls are removable from PPF?
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0