BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #1
ZBublitz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Unable to access Apple CarPlay.

Hello,

So as of about four or so days ago I am no longer able to access Apple CarPlay. The option for CarPlay shows on my iDrive screen, and my phone shows it’s connected to CarPlay. However, when I select the option on the Home Screen of iDrive to open up CarPlay or by selecting the Media button on the iDrive control, it leads to nowhere. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall my phone connection to my car as well as forgetting my car via Bluetooth settings from my iPhone. This seems to have started after taking a FaceTime call the other night and since then it won’t connect.

I’ve attached what shows on my iDrive when trying to get to CarPlay, but when tapping on it, or any other option in iDrive that would normally pull up CarPlay it goes nowhere.

If anyone has any suggestions I’d really appreciate any and all help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBublitz View Post
Hello,

So as of about four or so days ago I am no longer able to access Apple CarPlay. The option for CarPlay shows on my iDrive screen, and my phone shows it's connected to CarPlay. However, when I select the option on the Home Screen of iDrive to open up CarPlay or by selecting the Media button on the iDrive control, it leads to nowhere. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall my phone connection to my car as well as forgetting my car via Bluetooth settings from my iPhone. This seems to have started after taking a FaceTime call the other night and since then it won't connect.

I've attached what shows on my iDrive when trying to get to CarPlay, but when tapping on it, or any other option in iDrive that would normally pull up CarPlay it goes nowhere.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate any and all help.
I have had a similar issue after an iOS update suggest you completely erase the connections from BOTH the iPhone and car then lock the car for 10'mins or so and restart the iPhone and start the whole process again. If that does not work try installing/pairing another iPhone and see if that works from this you will be able to deduce if the fault lies with the car or phone

There is also a thread called "No internet when on Carplay" on this forum you should read it especially the part about disabling the internet option in iDrive unless you have an additional "hotspot" account
      01-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

In addition to the above try rebooting iDrive and see if that makes a difference.
      01-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
ZBublitz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks for the options to troubleshoot!

I was able to correct the issue yesterday be restarting the iDrive by holding down the volume knob for about 15-30 seconds to reboot and after it reconnected to my phone successfully and allowed me to access the functions of CarPlay.

I'll definitely check out the other thread and keep your advice handy in case anything else arises.
Appreciate 0