BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #23
Nole8486
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 / 2004 X5

Thumbs up Brought back memories!

I remembered how much of a pain this was and also saved the correct instructions ..... except I couldn’t find them. Your saved link worked like a charm with my X5! (I have an older Overhead Door unit with a rolling code).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I have this thread saved from 3 years ago and the Homelink steps outlined has worked on all my BMWs including the new G05:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=20680959
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #24
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

I started reading thru the instructions for this and said screw it, i'll just use the garage door opener remote. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #25
indyg30
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6M50i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmb View Post
I'm also having a hard time with the garage door programming. I have a rolling code style system- followed the directions in the manual and a few youtube videos which basically are the same drill of clearing the codes and putting my opener in learn mode then hitting one of the mirror buttons three times. No luck at all and for whatever reason everytime I try it my garage door remotes are getting wiped and I have to reprogram them. What gives? I did the same method on my now long gone MDX and it worked fine.

For rolling code system, hold the button on the remote, close to the mirror then hold the button you want to be programmed. when the light blinks, run to the garbage opener and press learn, then run back to your car and just hold the button you wanted to program again for 5 seconds then release, then hold again, until it's working, and you'll know it's work, usually the second "hold" will set up the link. It'll take you literately 1 min or less to do this, hopefully this will work for you
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmb View Post
I'm also having a hard time with the garage door programming. I have a rolling code style system- followed the directions in the manual and a few youtube videos which basically are the same drill of clearing the codes and putting my opener in learn mode then hitting one of the mirror buttons three times. No luck at all and for whatever reason everytime I try it my garage door remotes are getting wiped and I have to reprogram them. What gives? I did the same method on my now long gone MDX and it worked fine.

For rolling code system, hold the button on the remote, close to the mirror then hold the button you want to be programmed. when the light blinks, run to the garbage opener and press learn, then run back to your car and just hold the button you wanted to program again for 5 seconds then release, then hold again, until it's working, and you'll know it's work, usually the second "hold" will set up the link. It'll take you literately 1 min or less to do this, hopefully this will work for you

First time in 4 cars, I've been able to get the remote programmed in the car. BMW should hire you to clarify the Manual
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #26
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Homelink does a reasonable job on their website, if anyone is having issues give it a try.

https://homelink.com/home/welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #27
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for this! I didn't even bother looking in the manual, just followed these instructions and it worked perfectly right away.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:28 AM   #28
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

What is a rolling code system and how do I know if I have one?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #29
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
What is a rolling code system and how do I know if I have one?

If you have a "learn" button on your main unit
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #30
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

For people with an incompatible or older system, or if your range is bad on your opener, this may help. We have two Audis (ordered X5 should be here any day!) and the Audis are notoriously bad for Homelink setup. My one garage door was also getting a lot of interference that I couldn’t identify for the life of me (landscape lights, new appliances plugged in, etc).

This is a range extender for garage doors and gates. Super easy to install and really increases range for the opener. Looks complicated but super easy to install. Older opener that works except for the receiver? This is a much cheaper alternative to replacing a whole opener unit. Took care of my interference issue perfectly!

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-85...s%2C198&sr=8-4

You have to order a power adapter and have an outlet nearby (or split your opener outlet) but be aware that there are 2 power adapters, one has to be wired to the opener and the other plugs in. I went with the latter for ease of use. You also have to buy remotes and I suggest some bell cable to reach other openers in your garage but all of this added up was WAY cheaper than a good opener and the installation hassles with that, plus not sure a new opener would have solved my interference issue. This unit can be installed closer to a door or window and I believe has a stronger signal than the internal units.

In our Audis, we have to pull the fuse for the side radar sensors when programming our homelink. For some ridiculous reason, they made those the same frequency as a lot of garage door openers. SMH

Last edited by jg05; 01-21-2021 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #31
mike murphy
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Bingo! I searched high and low, tried many different ways to get this done, but the above ^^ did the trick for me (2019 X3 M40i and Chamberlain opener - rolling code)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:06 AM   #32
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
For people with an incompatible or older system, or if your range is bad on your opener, this may help. We have two Audis (ordered X5 should be here any day!) and the Audis are notoriously bad for Homelink setup. My one garage door was also getting a lot of interference that I couldn't identify for the life of me (landscape lights, new appliances plugged in, etc).

This is a range extender for garage doors and gates. Super easy to install and really increases range for the opener. Looks complicated but super easy to install. Older opener that works except for the receiver? This is a much cheaper alternative to replacing a whole opener unit. Took care of my interference issue perfectly!

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-85...198&sr=8-4

You have to order a power adapter and have an outlet nearby (or split your opener outlet) but be aware that there are 2 power adapters, one has to be wired to the opener and the other plugs in. I went with the latter for ease of use. You also have to buy remotes and I suggest some bell cable to reach other openers in your garage but all of this added up was WAY cheaper than a good opener and the installation hassles with that, plus not sure a new opener would have solved my interference issue. This unit can be installed closer to a door or window and I believe has a stronger signal than the internal units.

In our Audis, we have to pull the fuse for the side radar sensors when programming our homelink. For some ridiculous reason, they made those the same frequency as a lot of garage door openers. SMH
Can you send the link to the power adapter you bought please?

Also, I am confused as to how do my 3 garage openers connect to this unit? Do I have to run a wire from each receiver to this unit and if yes then what kind of wires do I use? Does it come with instructions to do this?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:31 AM   #33
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[ATTACH][ATTACH]
Quote:
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post

Also, I am confused as to how do my 3 garage openers connect to this unit? Do I have to run a wire from each receiver to this unit and if yes then what kind of wires do I use? Does it come with instructions to do this?
Tried to upload a photo of the adapter and remote. Basically, this unit has a few purposes but I’m using it as a range extender for one door. I had to buy an extra remote, the adapter and some bell wire.

The extra remote is because this unit uses the newer rolling code technology vs the older rolling code system that my original door opener uses.if you’re current opener has the yellow learn button, you should be able to just relearn your existing remote to this unit instead of your opener. I bought a 3 button keychain sized remote in case I need it for more than just one door in the future but only installed this on the one door where I was having interference, no need running wire where it wasn’t necessary for me.

Think of this as just another wall button to make the installation easier to visualize. All this does is connect to the same connector as your wall button. When you activate this/ hit the remote, it sends a pulse and tells the door to open/close just like a wall button. I just twisted it onto the same wires and then pushed them back in. There are a bunch of ‘contacts’ on this unit for various functions. They really advertise this thing as a commercial application with the ability to open/close and then stop doors at certain heights, etc.

But The other function is to just have the open/close work for 3 doors - see the photo with connectors and separate learn buttons for three doors - and it really extends the range.

You just run the bell wire from the contacts to your garage door. And it is low voltage so if it doesn’t work, you just swap the +/- and try the wires the other way. You can do this for all three of your doors if you’d like.

Then you program the remote(s) to this unit and THEN you program HomeLink using the newly programmed remote and learn button on this unit. Like an idiot, I was trying to program using the new remote and the learn button on my old opener and couldn’t figure out why I was having issues until I realized my error. Once I used the new remote and the learn button on the extender it worked like a charm. Total operator error.

All this unit really does is become an outside of the opener, new receiver unit for your garage door opener(s). I only needed it for one door but you can centrally locate it and connect it to three doors since it has enough contacts and learn buttons for all 3. It’s pretty easy. This is also a good replacements if your opener is working well but your receiver unit is broken inside the unit. This is much cheaper than a repair/replacement of the whole opener.

For the adapter, I would get the one listed in the photo. I think it’s the 85LM. It is just a barrel plug in ‘normal’ adapter. To me, it was just easier than than having to connect a few more wires but I think the other option is good if you don’t have an open outlet nearby and need a longer power run. You should be able to find the other model with a search if you need it.

As an FYI on the functionality - my original rolling code opener from 13 years ago has a purple learn button, This one has a yellow learn button so if you need a new remote(s) make sure you match up the correct technology for the correct learn button and get one for the yellow learn button. And then when you press the learn button for homelink, press the learn button on this unit NOT your opener. Each set of contacts has its own learn button. If you zoom in on the the attached photo or go to Amazon and zoom in on their picture you’ll see the learn buttons and contacts where you connect the wires. You can look up the directions online pretty easily as well but it’s a simple connect. Takes 5 minutes.

Range has been extended DRAMATICALLY and no more interference on that one door. I didn’t bother installing to the others since they work fine but the process is the same - and it’s easy.

Hope that helps!
Attached Images

Last edited by jg05; 03-02-2021 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:24 AM   #34
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
[ATTACH][ATTACH]
Quote:
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:

Tried to upload a photo of the adapter and remote. Basically, this unit has a few purposes but I’m using it as a range extender for one door. I had to buy an extra remote, the adapter and some bell wire.

The extra remote is because this unit uses the newer rolling code technology vs the older rolling code system that my original door opener uses.if you’re current opener has the yellow learn button, you should be able to just relearn your existing remote to this unit instead of your opener. I bought a 3 button keychain sized remote in case I need it for more than just one door in the future but only installed this on the one door where I was having interference, no need running wire where it wasn’t necessary for me.

Think of this as just another wall button to make the installation easier to visualize. All this does is connect to the same connector as your wall button. When you activate this/ hit the remote, it sends a pulse and tells the door to open/close just like a wall button. I just twisted it onto the same wires and then pushed them back in. There are a bunch of ‘contacts’ on this unit for various functions. They really advertise this thing as a commercial application with the ability to open/close and then stop doors at certain heights, etc.

But The other function is to just have the open/close work for 3 doors - see the photo with connectors and separate learn buttons for three doors - and it really extends the range.

You just run the bell wire from the contacts to your garage door. And it is low voltage so if it doesn’t work, you just swap the +/- and try the wires the other way. You can do this for all three of your doors if you’d like.

Then you program the remote(s) to this unit and THEN you program HomeLink using the newly programmed remote and learn button on this unit. Like an idiot, I was trying to program using the new remote and the learn button on my old opener and couldn’t figure out why I was having issues until I realized my error. Once I used the new remote and the learn button on the extender it worked like a charm. Total operator error.

All this unit really does is become an outside of the opener, new receiver unit for your garage door opener(s). I only needed it for one door but you can centrally locate it and connect it to three doors since it has enough contacts and learn buttons for all 3. It’s pretty easy. This is also a good replacements if your opener is working well but your receiver unit is broken inside the unit. This is much cheaper than a repair/replacement of the whole opener.

For the adapter, I would get the one listed in the photo. I think it’s the 85LM. It is just a barrel plug in ‘normal’ adapter. To me, it was just easier than than having to connect a few more wires but I think the other option is good if you don’t have an open outlet nearby and need a longer power run. You should be able to find the other model with a search if you need it.

As an FYI on the functionality - my original rolling code opener from 13 years ago has a purple learn button, This one has a yellow learn button so if you need a new remote(s) make sure you match up the correct technology for the correct learn button and get one for the yellow learn button. And then when you press the learn button for homelink, press the learn button on this unit NOT your opener. Each set of contacts has its own learn button. If you zoom in on the the attached photo or go to Amazon and zoom in on their picture you’ll see the learn buttons and contacts where you connect the wires. You can look up the directions online pretty easily as well but it’s a simple connect. Takes 5 minutes.

Range has been extended DRAMATICALLY and no more interference on that one door. I didn’t bother installing to the others since they work fine but the process is the same - and it’s easy.

Hope that helps!
Great info and thanks for taking the time to write it up
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      03-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #35
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great info and thanks for taking the time to write it up
Sure thing! Good luck and please post back if you do install this. Always great to get other folks’ experiences and opinions.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:28 PM   #36
reservedzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I’ve heard it’s rather simple in the case of BMWs because they usually have garage opener buttons on the rearview mirror. My car has them, and it took less than five minutes to adjust.
Maybe it’s also because of the doors. Mine are from doorsdirect2u.co.uk, and they were really easy to adjust and install. That’s why I like to work with this company - they are always quick and do their job good.
Another thing I like about these doors is that they have windows, and the sunlight can get inside and make the garage look better. And wooden doors fit the house’s design way better than plastic ones.

Last edited by reservedzz; 08-26-2022 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #37
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

Homelink 2-Way Communication

Is the 2022 X5 45e Homelink compatible with this 2-way communication? The Lexus has it, but don’t see it on the X5 45e.

https://homelink.com/compatible/two-way-communication
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #38
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoda2nd View Post
Is the 2022 X5 45e Homelink compatible with this 2-way communication? The Lexus has it, but don’t see it on the X5 45e.

https://homelink.com/compatible/two-way-communication
Does your rearview mirror have up and down arrows or just the dot that flashes? I think that will help answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #39
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to share one piece of information that has not been mentioned in any of the forums I read. This caused me to have no luck getting any button programmed on my (new to me) 2019 X5 no matter what I did!

I was struggling to get through the first step with my chamberlain garage door opener using the remote to train the homelink button. I was never able to get the homelink button in my car to go from a slow orange blink to the fast green blink which indicates it recognized your remote. I finally checked with Homelink and they said you need to use an ORIGINAL Chamberlain remote to train the homelink button. I was using a universal remote that worked fine to open the garage but it did not work to program the homelink button. I went out and bought an original Chamberlain 3-button remote and retried the programming sequence (first train button with handheld remote then use learn button on the garage door opener). It worked the first time. So that was the problem all along.

Last edited by Jcit; 12-25-2022 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 12:21 AM   #40
Firstline
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

bmw m5

You can do without Home Link, you need to buy a special adapter to access Wi FI.
Appreciate 0