BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2020, 05:20 AM   #1
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 21'' X6MC (F96)

Deactivate amber/orange side leds on laser light + sticker

(1) [blue rectangular] I think this is a North American specificity as this is not active/available on EU versions: do you know when do they turn on and, more importantly, how to code these to turn off preferably using Bimmercode (see below)?

(2) [yellow rectangular] I suspect this sticker inside is for North American version to indicate that the high beam is lowered. I didn't see that sticker on EU version. Can this be removed? Do we know the actual description on the sticker?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
(2) [yellow rectangular] I suspect this sticker inside is for North American version to indicate that the high beam is lowered. I didn't see that sticker on EU version. Can this be removed? Do we know the actual description on the sticker?
See warning label in owner's manual. You'd need to disassemble the headlight to access the label. Only USA vehicles with option 5AZ require them.

Simple forum or google search provides answers as to why:

G05 Laser Lights require FDA stickers
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1537262
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:25 AM   #3
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

thanks - what about my question #1?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
thanks - what about my question #1?
The lights can be coded to the European spec to disable the side marker light. You'll need a desktop grade coding app, you can't do it from BimmerCode as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
(1) [blue rectangular] I think this is a North American specificity as this is not active/available on EU versions: do you know when do they turn on and, more importantly, how to code these to turn off preferably using Bimmercode (see below)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
The lights can be coded to the European spec to disable the side marker light. You'll need a desktop grade coding app, you can't do it from BimmerCode as far as I know.
Would you know what are the ECUs that control these leds and how to actually deactivate using ESYS?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Would you know what are the ECUs that control these leds and how to actually deactivate using ESYS?

Thanks!
I'm not an esys pro but it's been outlined on these forums so just do some searching and you'll find it!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:11 AM   #7
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!
I'm not an esys pro but it's been outlined on these forums so just do some searching and you'll find it!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!
I looked... but didn't find anything.

Can anyone help me identify how to deactivate these amber / orange bulb on the side of the headlights using ESYS?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
SG_E90
DaZuc
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone

Quote:
I looked... but didn't find anything.

Can anyone help me identify how to deactivate these amber / orange bulb on the side of the headlights using ESYS?
Set both FLM's:

LMM1_Data: Wert_12
      01-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_E90 View Post
Set both FLM's:

Thank you! I'll try that as soon as I have access to my laptop again.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
Kost77
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_E90 View Post
Set both FLM's:

Did anyone have some luck with it? On g05 Wert_12 did not work
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kost77 View Post
Did anyone have some luck with it? On g05 Wert_12 did not work
Using E-sys, try VO Coding the two FLM2s with FA Typschlussel set to the EUR version of your X5.

Detailed instructions:

1) Edit your FA and change Typschlussel (under Type) to EUR version of your vehicle. For my NA M340iX, I changed 5U93 to 5U91. Save to a new FA file name.
2) Make sure E-Sys Options-->Options tab --> "Update VCM after TAL execution" and "Update MSM after TAL execution" are not selected.
3) In Expert Mode --> Coding --> Load the FA file you just create and VO Code the two FLM2 ECUs.
5) Test to make sure headlights operate properly and side markers are no longer on.

Larry
Attached Images

Last edited by larrylam646; 03-27-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 4
      04-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
Kost77
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Using E-sys, try VO Coding the two FLM2s with FA Typschlussel set to the EUR version of your X5.

Detailed instructions:

1) Edit your FA and change Typschlussel (under Type) to EUR version of your vehicle. For my NA M340iX, I changed 5U93 to 5U91. Save to a new FA file name.
2) Make sure E-Sys Options-->Options tab --> "Update VCM after TAL execution" and "Update MSM after TAL execution" are not selected.
3) In Expert Mode --> Coding --> Load the FA file you just create and VO Code the two FLM2 ECUs.
5) Test to make sure headlights operate properly and side markers are no longer on.

Larry
Thank you Larry! That worked magically. In addition to disabling amber reflectors it also made headlights dim really cool when you lock the car and gradually turn on when you open. I used Typschlussel JU01 for 2021 X5 M
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #13
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you Larry! That worked magically. In addition to disabling amber reflectors it also made headlights dim really cool when you lock the car and gradually turn on when you open. I used Typschlussel JU01 for 2021 X5 M
Thank you for letting me know.
      04-14-2021, 01:53 AM   #14
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What was the behavior of the headlights before ? I have done the same manipulation thing (returned to US typschlussel afterwards) but I didn't notice anything on the headlight dimming on and off when opening/closing.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:54 AM   #15
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Detailed instructions:

Larry
It does work.

I wonder if you know what are the other consequences / changes of changing the typschlussel from US to ECE on other aspects of the car ?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:29 AM   #16
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It does work.

I wonder if you know what are the other consequences / changes of changing the typschlussel from US to ECE on other aspects of the car ?
For the headlights, I know beam pattern and luminosity are set to ECE specs and different from US. I have not really noticed any material difference that would adversely affect performance.

I would not recommend blindly VO coding other ECUs. There may be incompatibilities and the VO Coding may fail or the the CAFD coding changes may cause operating errors/warnings.

Forum members, such as ifr and Trojanlaw , have contributed greatly and done the heavy lifting to determine what G05 features can be enabled/disabled by FDL coding.

Larry
      04-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #17
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I would not recommend blindly VO coding other ECUs. There may be incompatibilities and the VO Coding may fail or the the CAFD coding changes may cause operating errors/warnings.
Larry
You mean after changing the TypSchlussel from US to ECE ?

In case we'd want to do more VO coding on the car, would you recommend doing the following instead:
1. Changing TypSchlussel to ECE and import new FA
2. VO Code FLM ECUs
3. Return to TypSchlussel US and reimport the FA
4. Do more (future) VO Coding
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #18
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You mean after changing the TypSchlussel from US to ECE ?

In case we'd want to do more VO coding on the car, would you recommend doing the following instead:
1. Changing TypSchlussel to ECE and import new FA
2. VO Code FLM ECUs
3. Return to TypSchlussel US and reimport the FA
4. Do more (future) VO Coding
Again, I would not recommend VO Coding your vehicle ECU(s) with changes in your FA without first understanding what the FA changes will/may do to vehicle operation i.e. changes in CAFD.

I have a process I follow to understand the impact on CAFD ECU(s) for functionality/operation I wish to implement before deciding to modify FA and VO Code or just FDL Code my vehicle:

1) For FA changes, identify changes to vehicle SVT, if any. If there are changes to your SVT e.g. flashing different firmware, be careful... may imply more complex mods. I avoid these types of mods.
2) Identify changes in the CAFD file(s) for ECU(s) of interest. More times than not, more than one ECU is affected so it is an educated guessing to determine which ECU(s) may be of interest.
3) The most difficult (for me) is to understanding what these CAFD changes do and what CAFD parameters to change. For me, choosing between FA mods/VO Coding or FDL Coding (since both methods modify the CAFD(s) of interest) is dependent on the number of CAFD edits. FYI, VO Coding may change CAFD parameters you do not want changed so they will have to be changed back to factory.

Larry
      09-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #19
LasseTheDude
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45E

Quote:
Hi.

Can I code my G05 in Norway to have these amber markers on without loosing anti dazzle headlight etc? :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #20
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseTheDude View Post
Hi.

Can I code my G05 in Norway to have these amber markers on without loosing anti dazzle headlight etc? :-)
I am sure there is a way to enable the side-markers but I have not uncovered how to do it.

Does your vehicle come with side-markers? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=1
      09-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #21
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseTheDude View Post
Quote:
Hi.

EU laserlights don't have side markers. You'd need to get US headlights set for that.

Let me know if you'd be interested in a swap as I need to get EU laser lights for importing my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:57 PM   #22
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Quote:

Detailed instructions:

Larry
Thank you Larry
This worked for me as well!
I do have an additional question
With the amber lights now off, is it still possible to enable the fog lights with the parking lights?
Appreciate 0