BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

There seems to have a lot of trouble to use AA with iDrive 7. A lot of frustrations, especially for owners whose phone is not one of the officially supported ones announced by BMW. So I wanted to share some of the settings I ended up using to make it work.

1) My phone is not one of the officially supported ones. It's a Huawei P10 plus running Android 9 with Huawei's EMUI 9.1.0.
My car is running 07/2020.60

2). You should enable developer option and have Mobile data always on and make sure your cellular data is ON. I only have 2G of data every month. So I have the habit of disable my cellular data when at home and at work to make sure I don't over my limit. Sometime, I forgot to reenable it before I drive. Then I get frustrated because AA is offline.

3) Make sure in AA, wireless projection is enabled

4) WLAN+ is enabled (this maybe a Huawei thing)

5) Make sure you only have one remembered wifi connection on your phone from your car. There are ppl on this forum reporting multiple wifi connection remembered with slightly different SSID. For me, there is only one which is called DIRECT-BMWvin

6) You need to have both wifi and bluetooth connected with the car

7) If you have both connected successfully, you should be able to launch wireless AA and under your connected device in your iDrive, it should show the AA logo

8) In AA, there's the option to Autolaunch when certain Bluetooth is connected. Note that if your WiFi is disabled when AA launch, it may promote to allow AA automatically enable WiFi. so pay attention to your phone, you need to allow this.

9) If you don't have a data plan subscription with the car (here in Canada, it's with AT&T), when you connected to car's wifi, phone will warn you that there's no internet connection. It will ask you to continue or cancel. In my case, I need to choose CANCEL. If I choose continue, it will not have connectivity to use anything. This is very counter-intuitive. If this is your case, you will see the wifi connectivity sign WITHOUT 4G indicationindication at the top right corner

10) If you have connectivity from your cellular data, a 4G sign should show up next to the wifi logo at the top right corner

11) Wireless AA is not very stable, I do get it disconnected sparidically. Sometimes it reconnected by itself after a few sec/mins, sometime it needs a phone reboot to reconnect.

What I summarized here is from my experience with my phone. It may or may not apply to other phones. At least, I hope it will point you to the right direction.
Good luck everyone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

thanks for the post and information.

does android auto (google maps specifically) not come up as full screen?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
thanks for the post and information.

does android auto (google maps specifically) not come up as full screen?
AA takes the entire screen, but unfortunately navigation apps like Waze and Google map only takes about 2/3. T he right 1/3 seems to be reserved for media player and clock.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

It's funny, I have a Samsung 10+ and I'm trying to keep AA from automatically connecting to car. Seems like its sucking dry my data plan.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I have a Samsung 10+ and I'm trying to keep AA from automatically connecting to car. Its sucking up my data plan.
You can disable auto launch AA when car connects to your phone's Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Android auto

Good day,
I follow your instructions and I manage to have Android auto connected, despite I use a Huawei P30Pro with Android 10.1.
I have a problem now and maybe you have an answer, after launch of AA with the message Wifi must be open the Wifi show no internet. The map open on AA, actually google maps, show no internet present (! you know the sign), despite the mobile data always on settings of the phone. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #7
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portocale View Post
Good day,
I follow your instructions and I manage to have Android auto connected, despite I use a Huawei P30Pro with Android 10.1.
I have a problem now and maybe you have an answer, after launch of AA with the message Wifi must be open the Wifi show no internet. The map open on AA, actually google maps, show no internet present (! you know the sign), despite the mobile data always on settings of the phone. What do you think?
make sure your mobile data is ON.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #8
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Bumping an old thread, because I was looking for more information of using an unsupported Android 9 phone with Android Auto.

I have a new G01 X3. AA works great with my wife's Pixel 2 XL, but on my LG V30 I can start AA, Google Maps works, but Waze and YouTube music do not work.

With Waze I just get a blank screen and YouTube music shows no music. I use AA on the LG with no problems in my Mazda (which is USB wired only).

Ideally want to run Waze in the BMW, but I guess I could just upgrade my phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
CMG815
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235

Anyone having any issues with supported phones
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #10
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
With Waze I just get a blank screen and YouTube music shows no music. I use AA on the LG with no problems in my Mazda (which is USB wired only).

Sometime, I got black Waze screen as well. I need to disconnect AA and restart. It will fix itself.

I don't use YouTube music, but I do notice that for certain application (in my case, Amazon Music), I need to open the app on my phone to use it on AA
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
olek.rom
Rep

Really nice info...thank you for sharing...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post

Sometime, I got black Waze screen as well. I need to disconnect AA and restart. It will fix itself.

I don't use YouTube music, but I do notice that for certain application (in my case, Amazon Music), I need to open the app on my phone to use it on AA
In the AA settings on the phone you can add or remove compatible apps and change their order if that helps