Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
5k miles thoughts on F95 X5M Competition

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Some of my likes and dislikes after driving it for a few months. If you have any ideas on how to address my dislikes and meh's - I'd love to hear them!

• Amazing instant power when in aggressive mode
  • Surprisingly agile (steering ratio helps a lot too) - it just feels good in turns
  • Autopilot is great when stuck in a rolling stop, or when need to do smth real quick (eat a snack, drink, kids)
  • Auto stop works surprisingly well - predicts when to start, never stops too early, and I love the quiet when sitting at a stoplight
  • HUD is great
  • Auto lock when walking away
  • Kick to open + split trunk
  • Massage!
  • 360° backup camera
  • Auto H - started in dislikes because pull away felt super jerky, but having learned to tap the gas pedal to release the hold, I like this quite a bit. It works even better in combination with auto stop.
  • Love the switch to touch keyboard when bring finger to screen
  • M1/M2 to quickly switch settings are great
  • Amazing how nonchalant it feels at 100mph+.

Dislikes:
  • Giant heavy metal key - car keys becoming obsolete can't come soon enough for me
  • Satellite radio broke down (will probably just wait for 6k mile service to fix).
  • Back up assist does not work well - tried it just for fun and it hopped onto a curb for no reason. Bad BMW!
  • Can't consistently come to a super smooth stop no matter the settings. Autopilot can't do it either. This is really bugging me - that last sudden grab at the end is awful.

Meh:
  • Android Auto periodically crashes iDrive
  • Wish comfort setting for suspension was a tad more comfortable (likely will get MSS springs in spring)
  • Remote 3d view works maybe 20% of the time
  • Speaking of the app - why doesn't it show more stuff about car state? I hooked up Home Assistant to the car, and get a bit more data.
  • "Hey bmw" isn't great - have to yell at it most of the time
  • Don't know how to copy seat/mirror position from profile to profile
  • I like the safety features, but they're a bit too aggressive sometimes especially when it misinterprets going over adjacent lines of new asphalt as leaving the lane
  • Gesture control pure gimmick - turned it off after a week as it kept misinterpreting random hand movements as gestures
Appreciate 5
skypx60.00
ajob454.50
      01-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
RR_Bimmers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21' BMW X5MC, '23 BMW M4C Vert

Garage List
  [0.00]
Great summary. On point.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
irpirate
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 x5mc

Does anyone else have issues with getting in and out of the car without stepping on the painted rocker panel? Get a full seat bolster up the a getting in and out every time. (stock height)
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      01-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpirate View Post
Does anyone else have issues with getting in and out of the car without stepping on the painted rocker panel? Get a full seat bolster up the a getting in and out every time. (stock height)
Getting in and out without hitting the sides of the car and sitting on the bolster takes choreography for sure. I have the same issue with a much lower X1, so doubt height adjustment would change much.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:05 PM   #5
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
Getting in and out without hitting the sides of the car and sitting on the bolster takes choreography for sure. I have the same issue with a much lower X1, so doubt height adjustment would change much.
Well shoot, was hoping mss would fix that. Appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

I somehow think MSS would improve it. I think that some of the people who have had the springs installed should be able to comment, but I imagine that with a 50mm drop that there should be some impact on ease of entry. That hip/thing bolster certainly sits kind of proud.

I hate seeing damage to seats and tend to hop up a bit to clear it on entry. But on exit, it is more challenging to not put pressure on it.

I would love to see some of the members who have had their F95's for a while now post pics of the leg bolster to see how they are wearing over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
irpirate
Private
Rep

Honestly I don't even mind the stock height as far as cosmetics go, was thinking of MSS just to partially remedy the seat bolster issue. Or xpel on the rocker and just step on it.

I'd like to see the same.
Appreciate 1
X5MMMMM31.00
      01-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #8
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
I somehow think MSS would improve it. I think that some of the people who have had the springs installed should be able to comment, but I imagine that with a 50mm drop that there should be some impact on ease of entry. That hip/thing bolster certainly sits kind of proud.

I hate seeing damage to seats and tend to hop up a bit to clear it on entry. But on exit, it is more challenging to not put pressure on it.

I would love to see some of the members who have had their F95's for a while now post pics of the leg bolster to see how they are wearing over time.

my arse is already chaffe-ing against the seat on exit!!

MSS spring due for 1st February installaiton, and hoping they help with a "smooth exit"
      01-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
irpirate
Private
Rep

Car has been daily since purchase mid September 2020.
Driver

Passenger (used few times a week)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #10
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Car has been daily since purchase mid September 2020.
Driver

Passenger (used few times a week)

great photos there!

my car is in the shop for the XPEL PPF / ceramic coat this week (for the whole week, which is absolutely killing me!!) - i'll post photos on saturday - but having driven my wife's X5 40i (the car i had before bought the X5M), i must say it;s been nice to re-experience that silky smooth X5 air suspension, gliding serenely over bumps, and being able to lazily slide out of the driver seat without having to lift the buttocks up for the X5M seat edge!!

"bottom chaffage via X5M vs X5 40i seats" is probably not a good new thread title!!
      01-09-2021, 04:01 AM   #11
schaeffs888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d // BMW M135i

Garage List
Nailed it! Great summary mate.

My biggest gripe so far is the gesture control! It became so annoying it was turned off after two weeks.

On the stopping piece (including auto-pilot) I am not finding this at all actually however. The one thing I really like about it in auto pilot is that as the car is coasting up to the car in front to stop - it cuts the engine as well, so you get a silent and smooth stop at the end! I would definitely take it back to BMW to take a look at it as its sounds the polar opposite of what mine is doing!
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 02:22 AM   #12
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

I might be in the minority, but I enjoy gesture control.

My wife hates it but when I point at the TV with my index finger and do clockwise/counterclockwise circles, she knows exactly what I'm asking!

I hate the idrive lag. We are in 2021 and still these computers can't get to the home screen without a 2 second lag.
      01-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post

My wife hates it but when I point at the TV with my index finger and do clockwise/counterclockwise circles, she knows exactly what I'm asking!

I hate the idrive lag. We are in 2021 and still these computers can't get to the home screen without a 2 second lag.
I'm with you. Takes some getting used to in all fairness but once you are it's super easy and much more convenient.

Folks tell me that the audio controls are on the steering and that's true but usually my right hand rests on/near the gearshift so it's much simpler to use gesture than to bring it all the way over to the steering.

I guess like any feature, it's fantastic for some and less so for others
      01-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:

That's funny about the TV experience, but I can relate... I'm definitely in the camp that like gesture control. My 20 year old daughter is a fan too. Not to mention, passengers who have never seen it before think I'm trying to trick them somehow when I demo it for them.
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      01-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Quote:

That's funny about the TV experience, but I can relate... I'm definitely in the camp that like gesture control. My 20 year old daughter is a fan too. Not to mention, passengers who have never seen it before think I'm trying to trick them somehow when I demo it for them.
I have a 3 year old who tries to do the gesture control from the back seat.
      01-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #16
X5MMMMM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Or xpel on the rocker and just step on it.
+1
SOLD: X5 35i - Oxford Green w/Brown
SOLD: 530i - Titan Silver w/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #17
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
I'm with you. Takes some getting used to in all fairness but once you are it's super easy and much more convenient.

Folks tell me that the audio controls are on the steering and that's true but usually my right hand rests on/near the gearshift so it's much simpler to use gesture than to bring it all the way over to the steering.

You're doing the steering thing wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #18
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're doing the steering thing wrong
Lol it's always been a habit to steer with my left. And yes, should have both hands on but usually my commute is stop and go traffic. Rarely need to keep on the 10 & 2 at 10mph.

I usually prop my left elbow on the door/window sill and cruise away.
      01-12-2021, 04:40 PM   #19
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol it's always been a habit to steer with my left. And yes, should have both hands on but usually my commute is stop and go traffic. Rarely need to keep on the 10 & 2 at 10mph.

Fwiw 3 and 9 are what professional drivers use and what NHTSA currently recommends.

And the autopilot is a huge mental health saver in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 4
xmanpro2974.00
PABrian149.50
ajob454.50
      01-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #20
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Fwiw 3 and 9 are what professional drivers use and what NHTSA currently recommends.

And the autopilot is a huge mental health saver in stop and go traffic.
Yeah, I'm certain it will be. Made sure to spec it on my upcoming build for this very reason.

Very excited!
      01-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #21
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

From the dislikes section: unable to come to a smooth stop. Is it the brakes being excessively aggressive?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:31 PM   #22
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Good write up

I like the safety features, but they're a bit too aggressive sometimes especially when it misinterprets going over adjacent lines of new asphalt as leaving the lane.

Not sure if its different on the X5, but on my 7 you can turn that off, or you can turn it to minimal intrusion. Our F15 X5 its supper aggressively annoying when you slightly cross a line and you cant turn it down.

On my G12 I turned it down to minimal and I barely notice it now.