BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
torso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Best (optimal) B&W equalizer settings and sound mode

Can someone please post optimal eq settings for B&W sound system?

And what is the best 3D sound mode if i stream music via Apple Carplay (Apple Music Lossless).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
Aimster82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

I am also looking for what others have done.. but if you want bass (which I do) you will need to add a sub. The system's 2 subs under the seats is weak. I may add a 10" or a 12" in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

45e owner here and I wish I could help!

Here's the thing: there is no one "best" or preferred set of adjustments to an equalizer. What you actually hear is a product of (a) each individual recording you listen to; (b) whether you have passengers (which deaden the sound); (c) the volume you have the thing set to (the speaker's reproduction values will vary by volume); and, perhaps most importantly for old farts like me (d) what your hearing is like. Finally, some people just like more bottom end and some more treble. There is no "right" answer.

I could theoretically give you the point-of-departure settings I use, but if your hearing is better than mine (almost a certainty given my decades of attending/playing in live shows and selling hifi/listening to music louder than recommended) you would likely think the top end was pressed too much. My high freq deficit means I likely hear differently than you.

So, there is no "right" way to set the sliders. I suggest that you put on a recording you know well from repeated listenings on your "reference" hifi system, start at the top end (treble) and just play with each slider until it seems natural. Personally, I'd use something acoustic -- classical, jazz, singer/songwriter etc. You know what the human voice is supposed to sound like. You know what an acoustic guitar is supposed to sound like, whereas an electric guitar or keyboard could sound more or less like anything the engineer/artist wants it to.

The result of this process will be sound the way YOU want it, and no one can say you are wrong.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4708.50
      06-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
The system's 2 subs under the seats is weak.
The 2 speakers under the front seats are woofers, not subwoofers. There is a difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
Daxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22 G05

The B&W system has an electronic equalizer where you can boost the bass frequencies. It works, does a fair job to get the 8 inch drivers under the seats going. But, everyone has a different take on what is considered enough bass in their music playback. Using Flac file recordings played from USB will give you the best sound and further enhance your bass too. The last option is to get an additional subwoofer box in the back with a separate amplifier driving it, or a sub box with a built in amplifier. In either case it may likely need to have a proper install by an experienced individual, like a pro shop that works on these types of vehicles. There is room in the spare tire compartment, if you have no spare to have a box hidden away. But rattling could become an issue if for say a 10 or 12 inch driver is installed, without modding the pull- up lid on the cargo area. So a pro shop may suggest some simple mods to compensate. Maybe if anyone has done this they can chime in.
Appreciate 0