BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2024, 07:19 PM   #1
bklynchris
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Changed brake fluid, now tons of lights/messages/problems. HELP!

Hi all,

I have a '21 X5 4.0 Xdrive M-Sport. So far it's been fantastic: 81,000 trouble-free miles in only 3 years.
It's needed nothing but basic maintenance, which I do all myself.
Changed the rear brake pads at 70k, no problems
Changed the front brake pads at 79k, no problems.
Today I went to rotate the tires, and while they're off I might as well bleed the brakes and add new Pentosin DOT-4 brake fluid.

I followed the normal procedure for bleeding brakes, the same procedure I've followed on my previous F10, and all the other cars I've owned. Press the brake while cracking the bleed screw to force out the old fluid, close the screw, top off the reservoir, repeat for all four tires.

I do the job, button everything back up, start up the car, and now I have tons of lights on the dash. Full on STOP icon, warnings on everything from brakes to parking brake to chassis stabilization etc.

I connected my Autel diagnostic scanner to check for codes...but no codes! No stores or permanent.

Advice? Suggestions? Did I miss something? Any help is appreciated.

Best,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 02:39 PM   #2
slilley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Ugh, that sucks! Let us know what you find - I'm assuming it'll have to go to the dealer for them to diagnose.

I use a Motive pressure bleeder to flush my brakes, but I've not done the X5 yet (only 17K miles). I do know from experience that it's super-easy to introduce air into the system on other recent BMWs and Mini's if you jack one corner at a time (my normal process) vs. leaving the car level like it would be if it was up on 4 jackstands.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:05 PM   #3
bklynchris
Rep

So I had to bite the bullet and pay the stupid tax- aka take it to a shop. Found a very good repair shop here in Westchester NY that specializes in euro autos. The problem was...I somehow got air into the brake lines. Don't ask me how, I was super careful about always topping up several times while bleeding each caliper. The tech said it really wasn't my fault; the ISTA software is now the best (and maybe only ?) way to properly bleed the braking system.

Several hundred dollars lighter, but hey, the job is done. First time I've had to throw in the towel and take it to an expert in 15 years and at least a dozen cars. Oh well, we can't bat 1000.

So in conclusion, front and rear brakes are still doable with regular hand tools. Bleeding the brake lines....best left to ISTA I guess.

Happy wrenchin'

Bklynchris
Appreciate 3
aerof16100.00
slilley51.50
JoeAyalaM165.00
      04-29-2024, 07:10 PM   #4
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynchris View Post
So I had to bite the bullet and pay the stupid tax- aka take it to a shop. Found a very good repair shop here in Westchester NY that specializes in euro autos. The problem was...I somehow got air into the brake lines. Don't ask me how, I was super careful about always topping up several times while bleeding each caliper. The tech said it really wasn't my fault; the ISTA software is now the best (and maybe only ?) way to properly bleed the braking system.

Several hundred dollars lighter, but hey, the job is done. First time I've had to throw in the towel and take it to an expert in 15 years and at least a dozen cars. Oh well, we can't bat 1000.

So in conclusion, front and rear brakes are still doable with regular hand tools. Bleeding the brake lines....best left to ISTA I guess.

Happy wrenchin'

Bklynchris
I use a Motive pressure bleeder and it works great. The only risk to get air in the lines with this is if you let it (and the brake master cylinder) run dry.

I’ve used it many times with no issue. Glad you got yours sorted but I wouldn’t be afraid to try it again.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pow...0aAgulEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:09 AM   #5
bklynchris
Rep

Thank you for the tip. I'll definitely pick up the Motiv and give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:26 AM   #6
slilley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

I'm now convinced that your problem is the same one I first experienced on my wife's 2015 Mini Cooper, and then AGAIN more recently on my daughter's 2020 X1. There's something about the design of the brake master cylinder that allows air to be introduced into the system if you aren't careful. My write-up on this problem is Post 4 at this link: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uid-flush.html

I would have assumed it was a one-off, until experiencing EXACTLY the same thing on my daughter's 2020 X1. Now I know how to deal with it: I always keep the car level when bleeding brakes.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE923004.50
      04-30-2024, 05:10 PM   #7
bklynchris
Rep

You bring up a very interesting point. When I bled the brakes, I had the entire front end on jack stands so I could get the wheels off and access the calipers. Maybe that was the reason.

Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 1
slilley51.50
      05-01-2024, 09:31 AM   #8
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

OT, but was curious for those weekend warrior wrenches - Don't have BimmerLink but anyone know if that also has an option to cycle the ABS pump so it evacuates the fluid if one one was doing a flush.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:46 AM   #9
bklynchris
Rep

@chefwong you raise an excellent point. I've gone this long without buying one of the modding apps, bit I would consider getting one now if it included this functionality. Can anyone tell us if one of the popular apps covers this?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 01:49 PM   #10
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

There was a recent thread on transfer case....that may be only ISTA but I'd be curious for whom-ever replies, what *apps* has same/similar maintenance tools built in.
I'm pretty sure the mid grade + scanners has the functionality of telling the system to engage the ABS for a fluid change. Be curious if any of the IOS'esque apps have similar functionality

OP. I re-read your post. Are we confident per the INDY that the trifecta of Christmas tree was the system detecting air in the system ?
Just wondering....
When you drove it to the Indy, how did the pedal feel or did you end up having it towed for precautionary measures ?

Last edited by chefwong; 05-01-2024 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 11:56 AM   #11
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

I also think you need the DSC bleed procedure. You can bleed the ABS module with Ista.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 01:06 PM   #12
bklynchris
Rep

chefwong the brake pedal was super spongy, no feel. Didnt go down to the floor, but definitely very little braking ability. The Indy shop I took it to was only about 1 mile away, so I just avoided major avenues and drove very slowly. I was worried that I possibly damaged the brake booster or some other hardware, but luckily that was not the case.
Appreciate 0