Answers to these questions and many others can be found here
      06-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #24
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
My 240 lasted a year before I got tied of it's many flaws, BMW could have made it a wide fendered, thick tired 400+ whp masterpiece but instead decided to cripple it to the point I actively hated it at the end

Hopefully my new ZL1 scratches the right itches, namely feeble power delivery and lack of "fun"
I feel like the hate is starting to creep in for me as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #25
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Welcome to the club. My current Speed6 is the longest I have ever owned a car (Over 5 years), but it's time to move on. Also might sell the Jetta & miata. Not sure Depends on what I buy next. Looking at Hellcat Charger, C7 Vette, 2015+ M3/M4 & F-Type V8 S. However, I am now tired of wrenching so much so I want something already fast so I can just enjoy.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      06-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

What amazes me most is you don't live near even a half decent bit of road. This is the most mundane place for driving a vehicle one could imagine.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #27
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I just turned 40 and have owned 15 cars, several of which I sold after barely a year of ownership, and some after owning just a few months.

I ordered my 2015 M3 basically how I wanted it. I didn't go for a lot of options, but I got the things I wanted and only compromised slightly on the color. It was a great car for three years and I felt like I'd never want to drive anything else. Unfortunately, I totalled it at the track back in January and had to look for something to replace it. I ordered an '18 M3 in exactly the same color with only a few more options, but it's basically the exact same car, and I'm disappointed despite the '18 being either equal or an upgrade in every category.

Just a couple months into owning it and I'm already missing my '15. I miss the lump of low-end torque that was "refined" out of later models, the better stereo, headlights that would accept GFHB coding, the smoother DCT performance (new one seems awfully clunky, despite having the exact same software), and the less intuitive iDrive, but most of all I miss the history I had with that car. Five different European racetracks, road trips across the southeast, European delivery, and the faint patina of ownership that only I noticed.

Another forum member mentioned modifying the car to sustain the enthusiasm, and that does work for a time, but it also leads to compromises. For now I leave the car alone and find my GF's Fiat 500 to be a little riot on wheels. I'd love to have one as a cheap city car.

I totally get the OP's hatred of some cars as well. I couldn't get rid of my E92 M3 quickly enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #28
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

There's a common theme here and I know it works for me as well. Cars you put work into you bond with and want to keep around a long time. Cars you just buy and drive get old fast. That said there's a fine line between enjoying a car you've labored over and getting tired of having to work on something all the time.

By any objective standard modern performance cars have never been better but look at all the posts here from people who just got bored quickly with them. Maybe they're too good. They needed nothing out of the box. You can't begin to explore the limits on public roads safely so it's boring.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #29
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

You guys also need a Lotus or something, something less compromising. Alfa 4 C even.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #30
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You guys also need a Lotus or something, something less compromising. Alfa 4 C even.
I feel like I’d keep a Lotus for a shorter time than any other car. It’s nothing but compromise with almost no practicality. It appeals to only a very narrow segment of the driving population.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #31
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I’m on car 12 (2018 Nissan QASHQAI) and soon to be adding number 13 (V8 M3), and I haven’t hit 30!

The QASHQAI I bought for work, and the M3 will be a fun weekend car.
Hoping the combo of an excellent new work car plus an awesome weekender will keep me away from the car listings for a while!

Think the thing that would push me to make another change is being able to afford a 911 991.1 Carerra S or GTS.
That's my current situation and as many others have said as well, the two-car combo might do the trick.
The M3 "wakes me up" every weekend when I drive it. It scares me, and it keeps me focused more than any other car that I have owned (16 so far @ 32 yrs of age; If you deduct my two company cars, this is one car for each year).
Modifying the cars, tailoring it up to what you want can help - but can also frustrate you.

I tend to have kept those cars around the longest, where I can enjoy driving so much, that eventually, I will mute all thoughts and "noise" in my daily life. The Mk2 GTI does that, the E39 Cruiser does it remarkably well, and the M3 does. All the others, I use as a tool (=daily workhorses) or sell.

But don't worry, you are not alone. Definitely not.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      06-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #32
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I have the same problem but not with cars, but something that I never thought would cost anything.

I just keep hoping that my 8th wife will be the holy grail! An 8+ in looks, executive management career, as well as one who knows her way around the kitchen. But I will probably get tired of her as well.
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
      06-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #33
jcrane82
Trust me....I'm an engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35i, lots of bikes

I am on car #22 and motorcycle #8, and I am 36 years old. Nothing wrong with a little change every once in a while to keep things fun!

I have found that I am the happiest when I have most of the "bases" covered. At the moment I have these vehicles at my disposal:
-2008 128i 6MT Sport: Daily driver, lightly modified
-1998 M3 Sedan: Family hot rod, heavily modified, track car, Friday fun car
-2008 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple: heavily modified cafe racer
-1982 Honda XR80: Cheap/free dirt bike to beat around on after work
-2000 Honda XR50R: Technically my son's dirt bike, but I ride it more than him. Mostly just do wheelies with it.

I must say that I am the happiest I have been in a long with with the cars/bikes I currently have in my lineup. I still get the occasional urge to search for the next best thing, but my E82 is new enough that I still enjoy it (only owned 2 months).

For those that say we have a problem with buying/owning too many cars, I say to them that they have a problem not living a little!

To the OP: Maybe you need to own a few cars at a time, instead of selling/trading one to get another?
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      06-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #34
dizzyF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm in my mid 40s and have the same disease as the OP.
I just counted and I've been through 9 cars and 9 motorcycles.
I'm different because I didn't start doing well (financially) until I was in my mid 30s. So I couldn't go through as many cars as I would have liked. With age, I realized cars are a huge waste of money and I hate wasting money. My F30 was the only car I couldn't build an attachment to, so I sold it after 18 months of ownership and picked up my M3. With my current car and the Ducati Multistrada, I've never been happier...(for now).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
I am on car #22 and motorcycle #8, and I am 36 years old. Nothing wrong with a little change every once in a while to keep things fun!

I have found that I am the happiest when I have most of the "bases" covered. At the moment I have these vehicles at my disposal:
-2008 128i 6MT Sport: Daily driver, lightly modified
-1998 M3 Sedan: Family hot rod, heavily modified, track car, Friday fun car
-2008 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple: heavily modified cafe racer
-1982 Honda XR80: Cheap/free dirt bike to beat around on after work
-2000 Honda XR50R: Technically my son's dirt bike, but I ride it more than him. Mostly just do wheelies with it.

I must say that I am the happiest I have been in a long with with the cars/bikes I currently have in my lineup. I still get the occasional urge to search for the next best thing, but my E82 is new enough that I still enjoy it (only owned 2 months).

For those that say we have a problem with buying/owning too many cars, I say to them that they have a problem not living a little!

To the OP: Maybe you need to own a few cars at a time, instead of selling/trading one to get another?
I get the excitement of having a nice shiny new toy and it's your money. But as far as living a little, I choose to divert that money I would have sunk into an asset that depreciates into other things that gives me enjoyment in life.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #36
jcrane82
Trust me....I'm an engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35i, lots of bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I get the excitement of having a nice shiny new toy and it's your money. But as far as living a little, I choose to divert that money I would have sunk into an asset that depreciates into other things that gives me enjoyment in life.
I usually make money when I buy and sell my vehicles. That is due to putting time/effort into improving or fixing them up, so my experience will not match those who pay a dealer to solve problems. If done correctly, you can change your cars/motorcycles and put a little in your pocket. I also enjoy taking a vehicle that needs some love and rejuvenating it for someone to put more use into, so I also get that fulfillment.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #37
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

How can we get this to be a recognized mental disability? I have owned over 20 cars and i am 36.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      06-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #38
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
I usually make money when I buy and sell my vehicles. That is due to putting time/effort into improving or fixing them up, so my experience will not match those who pay a dealer to solve problems. If done correctly, you can change your cars/motorcycles and put a little in your pocket. I also enjoy taking a vehicle that needs some love and rejuvenating it for someone to put more use into, so I also get that fulfillment.
I prefer not to deal with the added headaches of being my own broker. Like you said, everyone's situation is different. For me, the time I spend being the main broker isn't worth the per hour rate I get from work nor the additional stress dealing with people who are less than ideal customers.

Plus, I usually make sure when I purchase a vehicle it is something I keep for a long time. You can easily see this with the 94 Camaro I owned. Bought that used in 99. Sold it off to a car buying service in 2014. Still have my 2004 ZX-10R which looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

There will always be a nice shiny new toy out there that is going to be better than what you have now. It's drawing the line on what you really want out of a vehicle and making sure you have the criteria set when you purchase the vehicle. That's what car sales people are looking to do. Make you purchase on straight emotion rather than having some logic interjected.

Also, I'm one of those that hate the actual vehicle buying process. Yes, it's fun test driving vehicles and imagining yourself in something new. But to get there with all the baggage with negotiating and paper work is just something that I try to avoid.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      06-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #39
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Most people that consistently trade or upgrade cars never really settle... they think there is something better or cooler when usually that is not the case. Their new cars isn't really better than the old one and round and round they go. All while they lost a lot of money doing it and never being satisfied.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      06-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #40
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

I'm 26 and I'm on my 10th car ( 6 MT M4 ) and what I found was to back track as to why I would get a car then why would I get rid of it and I found out it's because if I got the one step below of what I really wanted as a "way to save money" then dump thousands at it to make it what it wasn't. Like getting a Ecoboost mustang and trying to make it as fast as a 5.0, etc. Even if it became faster it still wasn't the flagship model

So with this car I made sure I had zero regrets or compromises because I plan to own it for a while. It gets tiring starting over and starting over and never having something that satisfies, plus it's financially stupid regardless if you have the money or not

I've had my M4 for 7 months now (not long at all) but it still feels fresh and new and exciting and turns heads everywhere I go since it ticks all the marks for me (RWD, 450+HP, over 20 MPG city, manual, timeless design)

Maybe you really need to think what will tick all the boxes and really dial in what car is really for you
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #41
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

He wants a high revving NA V8 with a shit ton of bottom end torque.

So yeah, he gonna be searching for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #42
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I'm 48. On car #15, and owned five motorcycles during that time as well.

Car #15 is a Porsche 718 Cayman. It's literally my dream car from my days as a kid, right down to the color. I think it's finally cured the affliction (for now) because there are zero cars I'd rather own that cost less than twice the 718's price new.

I also play bass guitar. We bassists have a term for serially buying and selling instruments, amps, speaker cabinets, effects pedals, etc. in search of the 'perfect' unit: G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

To wit: During my 20 years of playing bass I've owned about 40 basses, at least 20 amps, about that many speaker cabinets, and the-heavens-only-know how many effects pedals -- one of my three basses is for sale right now, in fact!
Appreciate 2
baege1320.50
      06-12-2018, 12:42 AM   #43
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
He wants a high revving NA V8 with a shit ton of bottom end torque.

So yeah, he gonna be searching for a while.
Until he finds the LS7.
      06-12-2018, 02:17 AM   #44
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

I also play bass guitar. We bassists have a term for serially buying and selling instruments, amps, speaker cabinets, effects pedals, etc. in search of the 'perfect' unit: G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
GAS also applies to camera gear. I've spent almost as much on cameras in my life as I spent on my current car. I know the way forward now, though...just get the newest flagship bodies and prime lenses.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00