BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Clear Coat Scratch Repair

My dealership's cosmetic repair tech recently removed a hair-thin, ~10"-long scratch in my clear coat (my body color is Mineral White Metallic, if that matters). He sprayed some kind of solution on a microfiber cloth, wiped over the scratch lightly, and it disappeared in seconds. Does anyone know what that solution might have been, or if there's something similar I could research?

At first, I figured he just removed the dirt from the scratch, making it invisible. But upon closer examination, he actually removed or filled in the scratch, which was previously discernible when running my nail over it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I feel like I just watched a 3AM infomercial.

Hope whatever he did holds up for you.
      06-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Therealmatzaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

It’s probably spray wax which didn’t technically remove the scratch, but filled it in. To remove the scratch you’d need to take the clear down either through polish, compound or wet sand depending on scratch depth. Even those magic scratch removers are removing a bit of clear, just without the use of a machine.
If the scratch isn’t that deep this isn’t necessarily bad...you could keep using wax to fill it and provide protection.

There are lots of brands out there but I’m partial to Adams polishes or mezerna. Meguiars pro lines are good but hard to find locally.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

It was probably a gaze of some kind. I really hope that it doesn't wash out the first time you get rain or detail your ride...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichione View Post
My dealership's cosmetic repair tech recently removed a hair-thin, ~10"-long scratch in my clear coat (my body color is Mineral White Metallic, if that matters). He sprayed some kind of solution on a microfiber cloth, wiped over the scratch lightly, and it disappeared in seconds. Does anyone know what that solution might have been, or if there's something similar I could research?

At first, I figured he just removed the dirt from the scratch, making it invisible. But upon closer examination, he actually removed or filled in the scratch, which was previously discernible when running my nail over it.
How is the repair holding up? Fixing a light scratch in the clear coat as you describe above is a “routine” job that any good detailer can perform. I agree it sounds like the dealer guy filled in the scratch with a liquid wax which is a temporary fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdmcg View Post
Quote:

How is the repair holding up? Fixing a light scratch in the clear coat as you describe above is a “routine” job that any good detailer can perform. I agree it sounds like the dealer guy filled in the scratch with a liquid wax which is a temporary fix.
It's still completely invisible to the naked eye. Still not certain what they used, but it has yet to reappear.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
It's still completely invisible to the naked eye. Still not certain what they used, but it has yet to reappear.
Reading your original post again, my guess is the original “scratch” was in fact a foreign substance on top of the clear coat. For example, I’ve noticed occasionally a spider web like sticky thread on the paint. No idea what it is or where it comes from.
My guess is he cleaned it off with detail spray or liquid wax. A “scratch” in the clear coat can be buffed out but not with a MF towel and spray.
Good news is it’s fixed.
Appreciate 0