BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Ceramic protection?

Has anyone had the ceramic paint protection applied? If so, does it really protect the paint as well as they promise and do you recommend it? Any I'll effects to the paint after?
      01-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5TXguyG05 View Post
Has anyone had the ceramic paint protection applied? If so, does it really protect the paint as well as they promise and do you recommend it? Any I'll effects to the paint after?
I consider it a semi-permanent wax. Nothing more, nothing less.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Makes cleaning easier
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
My understanding is it’s a slightly longer lasting alternative to wax. I’ve always used wax and like the results so saw no reason to change. I’m not sure if you can alternative between wax and ceramic coating.

Note: Ceramic coating last for years when applied correctly. Above comments are related to “sealants”.

Last edited by RVAGuy; 01-04-2020 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Clarify comments.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      01-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you used it? Would you recommend ceramic over wax?
      01-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
I have not used ceramic coatings however there is no lack of YouTube videos on its application. I don’t recall ever seeing a claim it was superior to wax other than its benefits might last a few months longer.

Note: Ceramic coating last for years when properly applied. Above comments relate to “sealants”.

Last edited by RVAGuy; 01-04-2020 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Clarify comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #7
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Most of the ceramic coatings applied by pros have a 4 year life. Even if you use a high quality carnauba wax, you would be doing that annually, at least, right?
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #8
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Most of the ceramic coatings applied by pros have a 4 year life. Even if you use a high quality carnauba wax, you would be doing that annually, at least, right?
Your correct, I was mistakingly referencing “sealants”. Ceramic coating does last significantly longer but requires professional application and several days to cure. Additionally, frequently wax is applied over the ceramic coating which can have a dull finish.

I wax our cars three times annually, wash monthly (pressure washer/ foam/ two buckets/ MF towel dry) and deep clean interior every two-three months. If needed I’ll clay them but being garaged that’s rarely necessary. Best equipment for cleaning cars is a stool on wheels from which you can access interior and exterior sides/front/back w/o bending.

Thanks for catching my error.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #9
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

I covered mine with ceramic coating, didn't want to spend the money on labor so did it myself. 2.5 days in the garage with my son resulted in a nice and shiny, easy to clean car. I haven't had any damage to the paint since then (Yes, knocking on wood). I like it and it was worth the trouble... I used Avalon King.
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
      01-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
I covered mine with ceramic coating, didn't want to spend the money on labor so did it myself. 2.5 days in the garage with my son resulted in a nice and shiny, easy to clean car. I haven't had any damage to the paint since then (Yes, knocking on wood). I like it and it was worth the trouble... I used Avalon King.
I’m impressed. Working with son makes it that much more rewarding. How did you control for dust over 2.5 days application?
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdmcg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
I’m impressed. Working with son makes it that much more rewarding. How did you control for dust over 2.5 days application?
Garage is pretty clean, but minimized airflow you prevent any dust binding into the coating. Other than some specks from overusing the application cloth we were successful in that. Before every panel we made sure it was dust free.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #12
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m curious...the 2.5 days included cure time I’m guessing. What would you estimate your actual hands on time to be?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #13
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm impressed. Working with son makes it that much more rewarding. How did you control for dust over 2.5 days application?
I'm curious...the 2.5 days included cure time I'm guessing. What would you estimate your actual hands on time to be?
Couple of hours cleaning the car to include clay bar and alcohol. Then applying ceramic, one panel at the time, probably 8 hours first day. Then dusting and applying second layer on second day, 6 hours maybe. Ditto third day for third layer. Total 20 hours hands on, roughly, and not rushing at all. I did the glass also.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Ceramic Pro here. Makes maintenance much easier, but it's not maintenance-free. Still needs regular washing, and "refreshing" annually. But less effort than multiple hand-waxings over the same time. More expensive, but less effort. The paint needs to be professionally corrected prior to coating, because the coating is considered "permanent," although it can be removed by claying and buffing, but definitely harder to remove than wax. It does look nice, and stays nice looking longer. At a cost.
Appreciate 2
Ftpohyeah283.00
Rodrick34.50
      01-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #15
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Ceramic Pro here. Makes maintenance much easier, but it's not maintenance-free. Still needs regular washing, and "refreshing" annually. But less effort than multiple hand-waxings over the same time. More expensive, but less effort. The paint needs to be professionally corrected prior to coating, because the coating is considered "permanent," although it can be removed by claying and buffing, but definitely harder to remove than wax. It does look nice, and stays nice looking longer. At a cost.
Thank you for your refreshingly candid and honest assessment of ceramic coating pros and cons. My understanding is ceramic is basically an alternative to waxing with the benefit it last significantly longer but at a higher cost primarily for professional instillation. I admire the skill, patience and dedication a good detailer can bring to returning a car to pristine condition.
As a result of this thread I have considered the amount of time I expend maintaining our two black cars, interior and exterior. While I wax the cars two or three times annually, I don’t find that it takes more than 1 or 2 hours each time. I spend much more time washing the cars every three or four weeks (dragging out the pressure washer and hooking up the hoses/ filling three buckets with soapy water/ washing the wheels/ foaming the car/ hand washing / spraying off the water/ drying etc. etc). As the cars are garaged, I rarely have to clay them and typically that takes at most 1-2 hours.
I summary, I don’t find waxing the cars is difficult or time consuming. In fact I find cleaning the cars a surprising therapeutic task that I can do on my own, when I want to, at my own pace, the radio playing music I like and knowingly when I’m done the cars will look great. My wife loves it as she always has a clean car.
Perhaps an added benefit of ceramic coating is it better protects the finish at car washes which makes it more easily justified for those that have neither the time or inclination to wash the car themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
This is a pretty good comparison, I think linked somewhere on the forum before:

Appreciate 2
      01-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #17
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Paladin1;25651337]This is a pretty good comparison, I think linked somewhere on the forum.

Thank you for the video.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #18
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
This is a pretty good comparison, I think linked somewhere on the forum before:

This is a great video. I am going to have my X5 paint corrected and protected with a high quality wax. As much as I hate scratches and swirls, there is nothing like a clean black car. I like the less permanent approach with wax versus the ceramic, particularly being able to touch up certain areas of the car over time. Thanks for sharing this.
      01-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #19
rtadams1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Fresh Ceramic

I just applied ceramic to my new X5 tonight. It’s sitting in my garage now curing. It looks great but definitely takes a lot of work to get it right:
1. Touchless wash earlier today.
2. Wiped down the car with Meguiars quick detailer.
2. Used my DA orbiter to correct the swirls in the paint.
3. Applied two coats of Carpro Quartz.

Here are a few close ups.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      01-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #20
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadams1 View Post
I just applied ceramic to my new X5 tonight. It’s sitting in my garage now curing. It looks great but definitely takes a lot of work to get it right:
1. Touchless wash earlier today.
2. Wiped down the car with Meguiars quick detailer.
2. Used my DA orbiter to correct the swirls in the paint.
3. Applied two coats of Carpro Quartz.

Here are a few close ups.
Looks pretty damned glossy! What were your reason for going with the Carpro Quartz? In one of the reviews, they said to use their wash product too, makes beading more effective.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      01-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #21
rtadams1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Looks pretty damned glossy! What were your reason for going with the Carpro Quartz? In one of the reviews, they said to use their wash product too, makes beading more effective.
I wanted the hardened protection of quartz. Unfortunately, my car is outside most of the time. The garage is just too tight with our kids stuff everywhere. I’m hoping to change that in the spring though...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:59 AM   #22
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadams1 View Post
I wanted the hardened protection of quartz. Unfortunately, my car is outside most of the time. The garage is just too tight with our kids stuff everywhere. I’m hoping to change that in the spring though...
Garaging the car does a lot to reduce maintenance. I have not had to clay our cars in years. Assuming boarding school is out of the question do you have a shed to warehouse the kids stuff?
My only fear in the garage is a garden tool, etc. falling on the car.
Appreciate 0