BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-25-2020, 06:36 AM   #1
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

X5 vs Garage Door

My X5 recently got into a fight with my garage door when the rear gate wasn't fully closed and I opened the garage door without knowing it!

You can see the result in the pics - it looks like just the metal "lip" was bent.

Can anyone guess at a ballpark cost and complexity of this repair? I'm wondering if it's a $100 or $1000 repair and if it's just a matter of unbending the metal and patching the paint or are parts required.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusecks View Post
My X5 recently got into a fight with my garage door when the rear gate wasn't fully closed and I opened the garage door without knowing it!

You can see the result in the pics - it looks like just the metal "lip" was bent.

Can anyone guess at a ballpark cost and complexity of this repair? I'm wondering if it's a $100 or $1000 repair and if it's just a matter of unbending the metal and patching the paint or are parts required.
Ouch. Sorry to hear. Good luck
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

I had this happen to mine and it cost me 1500 to fix... Hard to see in the pic but there was a dent plus paintwork. One shop wanted to replace the door instead of fixing... That was going to be a 6k repair.

I'm thinking yours is going to be in the thousand dollar range if they have to paint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #4
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I had this happen to mine and it cost me 1500 to fix... Hard to see in the pic but there was a dent plus paintwork. One shop wanted to replace the door instead of fixing... That was going to be a 6k repair.

I'm thinking yours is going to be in the thousand dollar range if they have to paint.
Ugh... ok thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post

Ugh... ok thanks for the insight!
Yeah... I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
Appreciate 0