E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Anyone else running a catch can this way?

08-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
dlamyle
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Anyone else running a catch can this way?

First post here so I'm hoping my images show up...It is a tight fit against the air box but it will get in there. It will actually go lower with a bit more effort but then its harder to get out and its not necessary since at this height it's lower than the outlet from the engine. Very easy to check the level and empty when full in this location. I bet you could shave the air box a bit to make more room but I haven't bothered with it.
Name:  335dcatch can.JPG
Views: 1504
Size:  698.2 KB
Here's a look at what I captured after 200 miles on the original set up when the elbow was pointed down which might have caused some pooling.
Name:  IMG_0554.JPG
Views: 1547
Size:  585.8 KB
You can see I did some surgery to the hose outlet and wire harness that "was" attached to the hard pipe. I just used a hot utility knife to slice it off and then plugged it back in to the harness and zip tied it to the hose elbow fitting. You will need to cut the wire harness bracket off of the elbow as well. With it cut off, the elbow can be turned to face the front of the car and makes it a straight shot out.
Name:  modified hose nipple.JPG
Views: 1529
Size:  818.7 KB
The lower hose I used needs to be trimmed to a length that lets it feed past the front of the engine where the most space exists since it is tight by the large air intake pipe. I then used a plastic 5/8" elbow to make the turn since my original set up with just a hose developed a kink once the hose softened from heat.
Name:  bottom hose.JPG
Views: 1446
Size:  715.7 KB
Upper hose has lots of room and is easy to get to with the elbow at the ccv turned this way. I had to add a short length of hose to get to the catch can. It's a just a 5/8" nipple crammed in there and a Gates powergrip to hide the joint. Yes I would have used black hoses all around if Amazon had the in stock but I don't like to wait.
Name:  upper hose.JPG
Views: 2343
Size:  810.9 KB
Here are the part I used if anyone is interested. No check engine lights yet. I'm not sure how the wire harness on the original hose worked or what its for but it didn't look like it needed to be exactly where it was. Everything is still connected and its tight and flat up against the elbow in case temperature has any importance.
I've read silicone hoses aren't the best for oil/fuel contact so I'm going to keep an eye on it but I think it will be fine since the hoses aren't going to be full of these fluids at any time.

ADD W1 Black Baffled Universal Aluminum Oil Catch Tank Can Reservoir Tank Ver.1
HPS HTSER90-050-100-BLUE High Temperature 4-Ply Reinforced Silicone 90 Degree Elbow Reducer Hose, 100 psi Maximum Pressure, 8" Length, 1/2" > 1" ID, Blue
Eldon James L0-10BN Black Nylon Equal 90 Degree Elbow, 5/8" Hose Barb (Pack of 10)
Anderson Metals Brass Hose Fitting, Union, 5/8" x 5/8" Barb
AN-10 10AN -10 AN Nylon Stainless Steel Braided Fuel Oil Gas Line Hose Black 5 Feet Length
Gates 32925 PowerGrip Hose Clamp
Gates 32922 PowerGrip Hose Clamp

Last edited by dlamyle; 08-28-2016 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: images not showing
Appreciate 1
rulonger110.50
      08-29-2016, 04:48 AM   #2
ChiDiddy
Rep
Drives: pop smoke

Thanks for this!! And for listing the parts out too!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Deja-Vu, sort of.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
dlamyle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype View Post
As interesting as that set up is...it still has the dip or low spot in the line coming off of the ccv tube where the fitting points down. I was referring to that issue in particular with my post. Just wondering if anyone had tried to turn it forward as I have to see if any issues came up.
Also, Since I haven't seen any "off the shelf" catch cans in this area, I wanted give others an option they could duplicate or improve.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I give you originality points for putting the can over there in front of the air box. Its a tight fit but you got it to work. Props to you!! I see a JBD box over there too.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
32valves
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda
I give you originality points for putting the can over there in front of the air box. Its a tight fit but you got it to work. Props to you!! I see a JBD box over there too.
good eye, after you said jbd box I didn't see it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamyle View Post
As interesting as that set up is...it still has the dip or low spot in the line coming off of the ccv tube where the fitting points down.
Is that a problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is that a problem?
It could be a possible puddling point. If in cold climate, possible water freeze up concern when car is off. This spot would be plenty warm while engine is on. Let us know after another 5000 or 6000 miles how it does. I might rearrange my setup to over there but only if do something non OEM with air inlet.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Newbie question...what is the benefit of running a catch can if you go down the path of egr, full delete, etc. Is this another CBU preventative step? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Newbie question...what is the benefit of running a catch can if you go down the path of egr, full delete, etc. Is this another CBU preventative step? Thank you
Yes, CBU is combination of soot from EGR and oil from CCV. Catch can gets some/most of oil from CCV. It isn't fool proof though.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
It could be a possible puddling point. If in cold climate, possible water freeze up concern when car is off. This spot would be plenty warm while engine is on. Let us know after another 5000 or 6000 miles how it does. I might rearrange my setup to over there but only if do something non OEM with air inlet.
The danger of freezing the CCV lines comes when they are long and routed all over the place. Even then, it is a mostly theoretical risk because it depends on numerous factors like the environment (humidity), driving style and engine condition. Nobody I know of has ever reported it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
dlamyle
Rep

Quote:
The danger of freezing the CCV lines comes when they are long and routed all over the place. Even then, it is a mostly theoretical risk because it depends on numerous factors like the environment (humidity), driving style and engine condition. Nobody I know of has ever reported it.
Yeah, I hear ya, probably not an issue for most but this way its not a possibility. So no risk theoretical or not.
I also wanted to make sure any oil left in the line drains down to the catch can. I've seen some pretty sludgy stuff come out of peoples catch cans and if that stuff builds up in a low spot it could reduce flow.
Along that line, the factory hose is bigger and straight so we are already reducing flow with the smaller fittings on these cans. Avoiding one more 90 degree turn in the hose can't hurt right? Again probably not an issue but if the option to increase flow is there I'll take it.

Last edited by dlamyle; 08-31-2016 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Following up on this location for the catch can. How is it working out ?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

I'll be removing my catch can and going back to stock. I've had the Berger can installed on the left strut brace for over 35k miles and have seen very little impact. At each oil change there is only a thin coating. No collection or pooling.
      08-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
I'll be removing my catch can and going back to stock. I've had the Berger can installed on the left strut brace for over 35k miles and have seen very little impact. At each oil change there is only a thin coating. No collection or pooling.
Yeah, the BMS catch can didn't work well in my application either, and seemed to only catch very large drops and let aerosol's through: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=408

What I have been running that does a very good job on even the aerosol components of the CCV is this (this pdf has a chart on aerosol filtration and oil drop/deposit reduction): http://cumminsfiltration-empty.bitna...LI33046-GB.pdf

I wanted something that was low restriction and no maintenance and would not potentially ice up in winter like a filtered media unit can, but also had data regarding aerosol filtration. At 65% it's not as good as a Provent or filtered media solution, but I don't have to worry about winter situations and monitoring blockage buildup or changing filters. And after 9 months there is no oil residue clinging on the turbo compressor housing when removing the intake snorkel like was always present with the BMS and similar catch cans I tried.
      08-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #16
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
What I have been running that does a very good job on even the aerosol components of the CCV is this (this pdf has a chart on aerosol filtration and oil drop/deposit reduction): http://cumminsfiltration-empty.bitna...LI33046-GB.pdf
That is a closed system. I thought you were back to an open air filter. Where does the exhausted gases go?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #17
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
That is a closed system. I thought you were back to an open air filter. Where does the exhausted gases go?
That Cummins/Fleetguard filter can be used in either open or closed configurations because the restriction is so low. Many B series Cummins use it in open ventilation configuration.

I've currently been using it in a closed configuration for ~8 months. The outlet of the filter goes into the intake plastic venturi port like OEM configuration and the oil drain port goes into a container I can monitor/drain when needed.

After getting the hybrid ProTurbo LP turbo I measured better hp results with closed CCV than open ventilation (our email exchange from Jan 19 of this year discussed measured OCV vs CCV with the hybrid setup). With the OEM LP turbo the better AFR results without sucking in crankcase fumes showed similar hp results between open/closed (I'm speculating the better AFR's with an open setup gave better BSFC than the lower AFR's with the closed setup which equalized the advantage of vacuum on the crankcase, so it seemed like measured results were a wash between the 2 ... and the open CCV left no residue in the intact so I had been using that).
      08-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #18
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

This is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
After getting the hybrid ProTurbo LP turbo I measured better hp results with closed CCV than open ventilation
Appreciate 0