BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Bimmer Code Adapter and Dealer Questions

I understand this may be the best option / versions to get for the app OBDLink LX/MX/MX++ which would lead me to the units called OBDLINK MX+ available on Amazon as suggested by Bimmercode . I have an iPhone and wonder if this is what every else is using or can recommend?

Second question is when returning to the dealership for the routine oil change do you have to recode it all back to the factory settings?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If the adapter is on Bimmercode's list of approved devices for the G-series, it should work fine.

I've not had the dealers give me problems with any of the (minor) coding that I've done. If you did something that changed the engine operation, they may take issue. Keep in mind that many of the things most people tweak are the norm in many other markets, so they were done where you are to meet federal requirements or other safety situations. Change something, and someone ends up getting hurt, and they could tie it back to a change you made, then you might have a problem. That would also apply if what you changed affected the vehicle enough to cause an attempted warranty claim when it broke something.

IOW, for most anything you might try, unless you brick your vehicle by changing something you shouldn't, it's generally not an issue.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
I understand this may be the best option / versions to get for the app OBDLink LX/MX/MX++ which would lead me to the units called OBDLINK MX+ available on Amazon as suggested by Bimmercode . I have an iPhone and wonder if this is what every else is using or can recommend?

Second question is when returning to the dealership for the routine oil change do you have to recode it all back to the factory settings?

Thank you in advance.
I used OBDLINK MX+ with BimmerCode on iPhone for a while now on 5 or so cars (not all mine and different models). I never had an issue coding with it on any of the cars I coded.

Very easy and convenient to use. I never had a dealer give me any issues with minor coding.

Good luck !
Appreciate 1