BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #23
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
I'm curious if anyone has driven an RSQ8 with air suspension... I wanna get into one of the super SUVs next, but I am also one to worry about ride comfort as it will be a family hauler with two toddlers. Everything I've read is the X5M is quite rough... wish it had the 40i and M50i air suspension.
Why don't you go test one? The thing about forum reviews is you don't know if the guy complaining about ride quality is a 60-year old obese person with horrific back problems to begin with.

Others have said ride isn't so bad at all, especially if you're coming from other M models.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #24
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Why don't you go test one? The thing about forum reviews is you don't know if the guy complaining about ride quality is a 60-year old obese person with horrific back problems to begin with.

Others have said ride isn't so bad at all, especially if you're coming from other M models.
Wish I could, but I live in a small town with one Audi, one BMW, and one Mercedes dealership within 200km. They're also small dealerships so they have at most 1 X5M or X6M in stock at a time. No test drives because they need to keep them pristine.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #25
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wish I could, but I live in a small town with one Audi, one BMW, and one Mercedes dealership within 200km. They're also small dealerships so they have at most 1 X5M or X6M in stock at a time. No test drives because they need to keep them pristine.
That seems bs though, any car that is lot inventory should be able to be test-driven if you are deemed a qualified buyer. How do they expect to sell a lot car if you can’t drive it first?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #26
hksr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That seems bs though, any car that is lot inventory should be able to be test-driven if you are deemed a qualified buyer. How do they expect to sell a lot car if you can’t drive it first?
Problem is, they sell. Lots of people that can afford these $100k+ SUVs don't think twice about buying one without driving it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #27
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Problem is, they sell. Lots of people that can afford these $100k+ SUVs don't think twice about buying one without driving it.
Yea makes sense then. I guess you could talk to the sales manager and explain your concern and need to test ride quality before buying, I gotta believe that could get you a few miles on the next unsold lot car that comes in. Who knows?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #28
hksr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yea makes sense then. I guess you could talk to the sales manager and explain your concern and need to test ride quality before buying, I gotta believe that could get you a few miles on the next unsold lot car that comes in. Who knows?
Maybe... I tried when I was thinking about picking up an F80 M3, but they wouldn't budge on it. I went with an Audi instead. Now that I've been a repeat customer with this particular dealership with a few purchases from them, they might make an exception I guess...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #29
dholter65
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Why not go into a new SVR? I’ve been considering an SVR or X5M at the moment. The SVR with carbon fiber package looks stunning
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #30
oneway
Private
Rep
Drives: S4 + Range Rover Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholter65 View Post
Why not go into a new SVR? I’ve been considering an SVR or X5M at the moment. The SVR with carbon fiber package looks stunning
I've considered it, but the RRS is due for a new design for 2022. Not super excited about getting into the brand new model right away. I like to skip a year so they can work the bugs out.
Past: '16 BMW 340i, '16 Audi SQ5, '15 Lexus IS350, '15 Audi Q5 3.0, '14 Audi S4, '13 Infiniti FX35, '11 Infiniti G37s, '10 Audi A4, '08 Infiniti G35s, '08 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Infiniti G35c, '07 Infiniti FX35, '06 Nissan 350z, '04 Toyota 4Runner, '02 Lexus IS300, '01 Honda Prelude...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #31
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

I've sat as a passenger in both cars - in fact both 2019 versions. The RR is more comfortable for a passenger. I think BMW X5M seem more passionate about their car and are much more brand loyal - at least tells me the ownership experience has been great for them.

Best case is to drive both and make a decision. I think the interior of the RRS is more comfortable and seems more spacious. I have a fully loaded X5 50i (Individual leather, B&O and DHP) and it isn't nearly as luxurious as a well loaded RR 5.0 V8.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #32
JM71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: P911

I'll add one additional variable. If you do any road trips outside of major metro areas the Range Rover might be a better option. The X5M with staggered width and diameter tires is a nightmare if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere.

Ask me how I know....X5 had to be a towed a couple hundred miles back to Dallas (in the wrong direction of my trip) just for a tire...that they did not have in stock. So, added over a day to the trip and a lot of hassle.

I haven't check how common the tires are on the RRS but they are at least the same all the way around so you can carry a spare that can be used at any position.

Unfortunately, a lot of the cars we love (like the X5M) are no good road trip cars.
Appreciate 0