BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
dbjunction
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S P90D,BMW X5 M50i

Android Auto frequent disconnects

I have a 2019 BMW X5 and am on version 07/2020.48 of xDrive. I use Samsung Note 20 Ultra that is currently on version 11 of Android. I am based in US.

The issue that I am facing is that my Android Auto disconnects, fairly regularly. Just drove for 50 miles one way yesterday and it disconnected twice. Basically, I will be playing some songs and using GPS via the Android Auto and the connection will suddenly drop. What I have noticed is that when the Android Auto drops and I try to reconnect, it will remain stuck in the "trying" state on the car display or show a "failed" message (again on car display). The phone continues to say that I am connected to the car via Android Auto.

The only fix that works is that I go to the Communication settings of the car and navigate to connected devices. The car shows connected via bluetooth to my phone - i disconnect it and reconnect it and on reconnection, the Android Auto again connects with both Google Maps showing on car screen and music playing through car speakers.

Obviously, this disconnecting/reconnecting is painful. It also happens with my wife's Samsung S20 Plus and used to happen with my earlier Note 10 Plus (basically, doesn't look like a phone issue).

Any thoughts or ideas? Also, I am not sure if anyone has had any luck to do OTA update in US but mine doesn't work (never worked).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction View Post
I have a 2019 BMW X5 and am on version 07/2020.48 of xDrive. I use Samsung Note 20 Ultra that is currently on version 11 of Android. I am based in US.

The issue that I am facing is that my Android Auto disconnects, fairly regularly. Just drove for 50 miles one way yesterday and it disconnected twice. Basically, I will be playing some songs and using GPS via the Android Auto and the connection will suddenly drop. What I have noticed is that when the Android Auto drops and I try to reconnect, it will remain stuck in the "trying" state on the car display or show a "failed" message (again on car display). The phone continues to say that I am connected to the car via Android Auto.

The only fix that works is that I go to the Communication settings of the car and navigate to connected devices. The car shows connected via bluetooth to my phone - i disconnect it and reconnect it and on reconnection, the Android Auto again connects with both Google Maps showing on car screen and music playing through car speakers.

Obviously, this disconnecting/reconnecting is painful. It also happens with my wife's Samsung S20 Plus and used to happen with my earlier Note 10 Plus (basically, doesn't look like a phone issue).

Any thoughts or ideas? Also, I am not sure if anyone has had any luck to do OTA update in US but mine doesn't work (never worked).
Any thoughts, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I started getting AA issues only AFTER my Note 20 Ultra upgraded to Android 11 earlier this month. Prior to this, it was perfect.

I found a lot of people had the same issues with Android 11 and AA on various brands of cars, it seems to be an Android issue and not a car issue.

Turning off bluetooth & wifi scanning on the phone seems to have stabilised it somewhat, but it still is not as stable as before the Android 11 update.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:53 PM   #4
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I started getting AA issues only AFTER my Note 20 Ultra upgraded to Android 11 earlier this month. Prior to this, it was perfect.

I found a lot of people had the same issues with Android 11 and AA on various brands of cars, it seems to be an Android issue and not a car issue.

Turning off bluetooth & wifi scanning on the phone seems to have stabilised it somewhat, but it still is not as stable as before the Android 11 update.
Good to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Can you please emaborate on "turning off bluetooth & wifi scanning on phone" part?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
mines fine with the OnePlus 8 Pro, I'll see if it's any different when my S21 Ultra comes. I do have some audio bugs with it but otherwise AA works perfectly fine. I wonder if your particular iDrive version is to blame. I'll double check mine but I'm pretty sure it's 2020/07.XX
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #6
Woypop
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

I'm using Galaxy Note10 that is still running on Android 10 and I'm dealing with this problem for nearly a month.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:54 AM   #7
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Mine happens very randomly. Some days nothing and some days it will happen frequently. It consistently drops out when I enter underground car parks for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:14 AM   #8
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction View Post
Good to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Can you please emaborate on "turning off bluetooth & wifi scanning on phone" part?
Goto settings,
Select the Location option.
Choose the Improve accuracy option.
Tap the buttons to the right of Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning to turn them off.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #9
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Goto settings,
Select the Location option.
Choose the Improve accuracy option.
Tap the buttons to the right of Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning to turn them off.
Thanks. Will try this out as well.

I was hoping someone will say that you are on 07/2020.48 version and that has this issue and that it got resolved in version xx/yyyy.zz.

Wishful thinking
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 04:03 AM   #10
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Well, on a 2019 G05 and a N20U (SM-986U1), I've had the exact same described experience with the random drops, involved reconnect process, etc.

Was happening on 07/2020 & is still happening for me on 11/2020, though I lean towards this being an Android Auto bug more than iDrive.

N20U is currently running Android 11 w/ OneUI 3.0.
G05 is currently running 11/2020.45.

Edit: just went on a nice 30 minute morning drive and had 2 AA restarts during the trip. First was when I tried ending a phone call - the entire iDrive console in the center went blank and then rebooted, logo and all, and when it restarted, it recognized my N20U was connected, but wouldn't start in AA. N20U kept showing the "Rate your feedback with AA"/System Driving App is Running messages and showing signs that it recognized the AA enabled vehicle, but just couldn't connect. Restarted the vehicle, kept going for another 15 mins, and then it cut out on me when I (admittedly for the purpose of tripping it up) tried changing the song on Spotify via my phone app instead of the iDrive console. Welp. Here we go againnnnn. This guy is headed back in on Monday for the 13th time in 12 months now due to a continuing dash cluster failure issue, so I'll mention this then and see if there's anything my case manager or engineer can add to this discussion!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

I have the same car and software and similar issue with AA. I frankly just ended up switching to using the cable to connect my s10 and not using Bluetooth. I have had no issues since. (but I only use it for long trips... my daily commute is too short to bother with AA - BMW Nav is generally just as good and much easier to use).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post
I have the same car and software and similar issue with AA. I frankly just ended up switching to using the cable to connect my s10 and not using Bluetooth. I have had no issues since. (but I only use it for long trips... my daily commute is too short to bother with AA - BMW Nav is generally just as good and much easier to use).
Oh I had no idea you could use it as a wired option - thought Andorid Auto in BMW was just wireless. So which port on the car should we connect the phone to?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #13
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Bump up this post. I have a Huawei P30 Pro running Android 10 with EMUI 11.0.0 suffering exactly the same issue. I thought it were because my phone is not officially supported (Samsung or Google) nor is it running Android 11. I guess I was wrong because ppl with Samsung and running Android 11 suffers the same issue here. So any clue guys?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:35 AM   #14
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Just a thought could it be at all related to background apps and battery saving ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #15
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I only use AA for navigation and occasionally to make a phone call. I have a OnePlus phone. I often get a disconnect when switching radio stations or switching screens. I also have to disconnect my phone and reconnect. This restores AA but it is a bit frustrating.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350

Last edited by rmorin1249; 05-14-2021 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 04:54 AM   #16
alE.193-BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I think i'm facing the same problem since a few months.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S20+ and drive a 320d from 2012.

After about five minutes my bluetooth goes into a "reconnecting -> connected -> reconnecting -> connected (...)"-loop.

Disabling and enabling the bluetooth-connection on my car seems to solve the problem until the next trip.

Quote:
Just a thought could it be at all related to background apps and battery saving ?
That's a good guess. But why should it be solved by disabling and enabling the car's bluetooth connection?
Appreciate 0