BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Ceramic vs. Regular Tint

Getting ready to tint my front two windows to match the rear. I didn't plan on redoing the other windows in ceramic. Does it make any sense to do the front two windows in ceramic and not the others?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A good ceramic tint like 3M's can be had in various densities, so if that's your issue, there's not a reason not to go that way except for the cost. If you're talking one using metallic, those can mess with your cellular signal. Some of the organic ones will change color as they age.

3M's at high light transmission tints tend to block as much if not more IR and UV than many of the much darker other types. Theirs is thicker, and harder to install on compound curved surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Suntek Carbon or CXP
3M color stable

Two examples of good tint for your situation.

Don't get random crap most tint shops push. It's dyed and provides little heat rejection. Also avoid metal films.

More important, find a shop that computer cuts their film. No razor blades on your glass.
      01-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Suntek Carbon or CXP
3M color stable

Don't get random crap most tint shops push. It's dyed and provides little heat rejection. Also avoid metal films.

More important, find a shop that computer cuts their film. No razor blades on your glass.
Was thinking of doing LLUMAR, heard good things in the past.

Do you have any experience with it?
      01-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Quote:
Suntek Carbon or CXP
3M color stable

Llumar and Suntek are both owned by Eastman. Llumar has a entry level ceramic film called CTX. I'm not a fan, but it's OK film. Just be sure you like the color of the film and look through it in sunlight before committing. It should price out similarly to the other films I mentioned and will provide similar performance. The 3M color stable is an excellent film to look through but it's heat rejection is a bit less than the Suntek I mentioned or llumar's upgraded ceramic called IRX.

Focus on the shops workmanship. That's as important as the film choice.
vitipr171.00
      01-22-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
Getting ready to tint my front two windows to match the rear. I didn't plan on redoing the other windows in ceramic. Does it make any sense to do the front two windows in ceramic and not the others?
One word of caution on tint on the front windows -- certain tints block a lot of IR light, which can cause the infamous "daytime dimming" issue reported in various BMW forums (which, FWIW, is not specific to X5), e.g.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=26

I am experiencing this issue with ceramic tint and will be going back in next week to have it replaced with plain dyed film that supposedly does not block as much IR light (which the OP of the mentioned thread indicates is the main issue).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Quote:
Suntek Carbon or CXP
3M color stable

Llumar and Suntek are both owned by Eastman. Llumar has a entry level ceramic film called CTX. I'm not a fan, but it's OK film. Just be sure you like the color of the film and look through it in sunlight before committing. It should price out similarly to the other films I mentioned and will provide similar performance. The 3M color stable is an excellent film to look through but it's heat rejection is a bit less than the Suntek I mentioned or llumar's upgraded ceramic called IRX.

Focus on the shops workmanship. That's as important as the film choice.
Thank you for the detailed write-up!

Color isn't a major concern for my application. I'm doing a 90% on the windshield which is basically clear so not too worried about color change. More so just need heat reduction.

Thank you again!
      01-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #8
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
One word of caution on tint on the front windows -- certain tints block a lot of IR light, which can cause the infamous "daytime dimming" issue reported in various BMW forums (which, FWIW, is not specific to X5), e.g.

I am experiencing this issue with ceramic tint and will be going back in next week to have it replaced with plain dyed film that supposedly does not block as much IR light (which the OP of the mentioned thread indicates is the main issue).
That's interesting, never thought about that. Is this mostly affected by the windshield tinting? I was only doing the drivers and passenger windows in ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Owners with all sorts of tint experience the dimming issue. Where have you read using a non ceramic (with same VLT) works around the issue?
      01-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Picked up my x5 today and experienced this problem. The dash and nav kept switching between daytime and nighttime. Drove me crazy. I took it back to the dealer and the sales rep said he has never seen this before. We were sitting in the car and the display was dimmed and he said it looked normal. I opened the drivers side door and it immediately brightened up again. He said he would check with their genius. I find it hard to believe, this hasn't been a bigger problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Tinted my front two in ceramic to match the rear and yes, it makes sense to just do the front two. I also did my windshield and don't have the dimming issue that some others experience.
      01-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Picked up my x5 today and experienced this problem. The dash and nav kept switching between daytime and nighttime. Drove me crazy. I took it back to the dealer and the sales rep said he has never seen this before. We were sitting in the car and the display was dimmed and he said it looked normal. I opened the drivers side door and it immediately brightened up again. He said he would check with their genius. I find it hard to believe, this hasn't been a bigger problem.

Maybe just remove a small strip/ square from the windshield where the mirror is attached in front of the sensor so the sensor can get the light. Might be an easy fix...

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #13
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Maybe just remove a small strip/ square from the windshield where the mirror is attached in front of the sensor so the sensor can get the light. Might be an easy fix...
I think the sensor is located on the left side of the speedometer display. If I use the light from my phone there, the display brightens right away.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #14
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Owners with all sorts of tint experience the dimming issue. Where have you read using a non ceramic (with same VLT) works around the issue?
It was on the thread I referenced - a guy on there had done some real low-level investigatory work and determined that it was actually infrared/IR light that the sensor (which is located on the main driver display on the left side) is most sensitive to. I think he used a LED IR light in his testing.

In any case, I am taking my M50i in to have the drivers side window re-done in non-IR blocking film to hopefully fix the issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It was on the thread I referenced - a guy on there had done some real low-level investigatory work and determined that it was actually infrared/IR light that the sensor (which is located on the main driver display on the left side) is most sensitive to. I think he used a LED IR light in his testing.

In any case, I am taking my M50i in to have the drivers side window re-done in non-IR blocking film to hopefully fix the issue for me.
He's using an LED in the IR light spectrum and pointing it directly at the dash light sensor. This really isn't any different than pointing a flashlight directly at the light sensor. IR is light, just less visible to the human eye.

I hope this tint change gives you positive results.
      01-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

i'm running LLumar Pinnicle all around in my X5M and do not have any issues with radar/cell phone reception. I also have the windshield done for heat rejection.

Once you diminish the light entering the interior cabin it will dim the dash cluster. Doesn't matter what tint you use. I only noticed it at first but you get use to it and don't even think about it anymore. Also driving with the panoroof shade open helps.
      02-05-2021, 12:53 AM   #17
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

so Is there any settings in the vehicle which allow manually increase a dash brightness or does it have any setting to not allow the sensor to change a brightness of a dash?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:36 AM   #18
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
so Is there any settings in the vehicle which allow manually increase a dash brightness or does it have any setting to not allow the sensor to change a brightness of a dash?
I've been to multiple dealers and they say there is not a setting that can correct the situation. The Sarasota dealer told me that it is common for them to tint windshields also and that owners just have to get used to it.

I have a little flash light in the center console that I use if I need to see something. Thought about getting a little reading light and attaching it to the vent on the left side of the dash and have it pointing into the sensor. 90k car needs a $2 light attached to see the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #19
rscpa1
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 65 Mustang

I installed 3M Crystaline and do not have that problem. 90% on front windshield, basically clear...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #20
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscpa1 View Post
I installed 3M Crystaline and do not have that problem. 90% on front windshield, basically clear...
The dealer put mine on, so I have no idea what it is other than its ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #21
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

I used llumar for past 10 years and no problem at all.

My other car has the same tint for 6 years and no problem at all.

No matter what I tint the whole car because I want heat rejection. If you are going for just look then no ceramic is needed but since money is spent, better get good heat rejection.

If you don't tint the back, front side is somewhat stays cool when driving for long distance but then heat comes in from the back so your back of head gets hot haha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #22
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Suntek Carbon or CXP
3M color stable

Thank you!
Appreciate 0