nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoo01 View Post
Wow, looks great! Do you have an OEM crystal console or is it the aftermarket one?
thanks! a pity that supply chains affected its inclusion from the factory.

i have a US unit, but the OEM crystal unit i bought from Poland, so where my BAND button is, the EU unit had what looks like a man with a phone to his ear. i didn't know if that unit was still tied to an EU VIN or programmed differently cuz of the different button, so i just removed its entire volume knob assembly plus the little black trim around it (since i damaged those during the attempt on mine) and put it on my existing unit.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-11-2021 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #68
BimmerBoo01
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
this crystal button "fix" cost me a lot more than it should've in the end. it should've been included with the rest of the factory installed crystal components that came with the Executive package, but now the set is complete!

FYI: BRAND NEW crystal series volume button for sale
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post27101250
Nice. Just wondering, does your idrive controller arrows light up?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #69
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice. Just wondering, does your idrive controller arrows light up?
oh, i misunderstood your earlier question! by "crystal console" you're referring to the central area with the gear shift, start/stop button, iDrive controller, correct? if so, mine came factory installed with all the crystal as part of the Executive package. the only thing missing was the crystal radio volume on/off button (which was included in builds before the pandemic). that is the only part i replaced to "complete" the crystal controls option.

and NO, my iDrive arrows do not light up...and they're factory installed! i believe it can be fixed by coding, just like the X in the gear shifter.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-11-2021 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #70
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
oh, i misunderstood your earlier question! by "crystal console" you're referring to the central area with the gear shift, start/stop button, iDrive controller, correct? if so, mine came factory installed with all the crystal as part of the Executive package. the only thing missing was the crystal radio volume on/off button (which was included in builds before the pandemic). that is the only part i replaced to "complete" the crystal controls option.

and NO, my iDrive arrows do not light up...and they're factory installed! i believe it can be fixed by coding, just like the X in the gear shifter.
Thanks for the response! I did a swap with an OEM unit (Gear Shifter, Start/stop, idrive) but the idrive arrows do not light up. I assumed that I needed to code something as well. My X lit up without coding. Its odd that your arrows doesn't light up from factory, unless it wasn't intended to.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #71
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I reviewed several OEM images, videos, press releases, marketing ads, and they all showed NO LIGHTS on the glass "crafted clarity" iDrive controller. interesting, I thought...
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #72
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
I reviewed several OEM images, videos, press releases, marketing ads, and they all showed NO LIGHTS on the iDrive controller. interesting, I thought...
thank you for the confirmation.
Appreciate 1
rogurat759.50
      01-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #73
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Hello,
I tried to install the itouch glass replacement and had a bad outcome. I disconnected the cable, replaced it with the glass (per the video instructions), reconnected the cable and and everything was working escept the LEDs. I figured I had to tighten the connections so I disconnected the knob and tried to reseat the ribbon but was surprised with some smoke. The controller board for the touch pad I think is fried now. Anyone know if I can get a replacement unit for the controller board?

Wife is not happy
Have you fixed it yet? Let us know please. It looks like I am on the same boat. The batteries were disconnected during the process, but I can't get the controller to work
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:45 AM   #74
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
Quote:
Hello,
I tried to install the itouch glass replacement and had a bad outcome. I disconnected the cable, replaced it with the glass (per the video instructions), reconnected the cable and and everything was working escept the LEDs. I figured I had to tighten the connections so I disconnected the knob and tried to reseat the ribbon but was surprised with some smoke. The controller board for the touch pad I think is fried now. Anyone know if I can get a replacement unit for the controller board?

Wife is not happy
Have you fixed it yet? Let us know please. It looks like I am on the same boat. The batteries were disconnected during the process, but I can't get the controller to work
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

Wife is not happy
Yes! I fixed it. When you disconnected the trunk battery, were you still getting power to the idrive? The power should be completely cut once you disconnect the trunk battery. Also is your shifter working?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #75
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes! I fixed it. When you disconnected the trunk battery, were you still getting power to the idrive? The power should be completely cut once you disconnect the trunk battery. Also is your shifter working?
Yes, the shifter works. I did disconnect the back battery, don't understand why the controller doesn't work. I repeated the process a few times with no luck.
How did you fix it? Did you replace the controller? Let me know please.
Name:  IMG_0672.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  192.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #76
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the shifter works. I did disconnect the back battery, don't understand why the controller doesn't work. I repeated the process a few times with no luck.
How did you fix it? Did you replace the controller? Let me know please.
Attachment 2506629
By the looks of the photo, it looks like the idrive controller is getting power, which is good. I'll PM you my phone number and you can give me a call. It's easier if we talk over the phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #77
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
By the looks of the photo, it looks like the idrive controller is getting power, which is good. I'll PM you my phone number and you can give me a call. It's easier if we talk over the phone.
Finally I was able fix the iDrive controller by replacing the round circuit board inside as well as the ribbon cable.
Name:  IMG_0720.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  268.4 KB

Last edited by Maximus2002; 01-27-2021 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #78
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Super important to disconnect all power in the vehicle. That's the preferred route.

Perhaps you can safely work around battery disconnect issues by removing the entire center module. There's one harness that powers the shifter/buttons, one that powers the iDrive controller, and two connections for the light bars.

Overall removal is easy. There are carpet panels running the length of the console, they pop-off easily. From there you have four hex screws, after removal the entire center stack can be gently lifted (use something soft/an interior pry-tool, as to not damage any surfaces).
      02-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #79
boostin1004
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 m3 cab

FYI they're on sale for 20% off
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #80
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Finally I was able fix the iDrive controller by replacing the round circuit board inside as well as the ribbon cable.
Attachment 2513783
Im confused by this photo. The OEM crystal idrive controller does NOT light up but the NON OEM one does?? Has anyone gotten the OEM crystal idrive arrows to light up?
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #81
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post
Quote:
Attachment 2513783
Im confused by this photo. The OEM crystal idrive controller does NOT light up but the NON OEM one does?? Has anyone gotten the OEM crystal idrive arrows to light up?
I believe the wiring differs when installed at the factory. non-crystal iDrive controller arrows light up, but crystal iDrive controller arrows don't. he got his aftermarket crystal iDrive controller to light up because he originally had the non-crystal one, which had the wiring for it.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      03-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #82
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
I believe the wiring differs when installed at the factory. non-crystal iDrive controller arrows light up, but crystal iDrive controller arrows don't. he got his aftermarket crystal iDrive controller to light up because he originally had the non-crystal one, which had the wiring for it.
Intersting. Thanks for the insight. So If im understanding this correctly, the non-crystal idrive controller arrows (black face) do light up?
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #83
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Intersting. Thanks for the insight. So If im understanding this correctly, the non-crystal idrive controller arrows (black face) do light up?
Standard iDrive controller arrows light up.

Photo of my controller, MY20 G05
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      03-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #84
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So If im understanding this correctly, the non-crystal idrive controller arrows (black face) do light up?
yes. even in my wife's MY20 G30, her standard iDrive controller arrows light up. my MY21 G05 crystal iDrive controller arrows don't light up.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      04-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #85
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
I think it would be crazy to have an entirely different control part number for the sake of omitting 4 LEDs. My assumption is the crystal piece from BMW simply doesn't have any opaque or cuts in the back that would let the light through.
      04-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #86
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Anyone has tried the volume button with the trim on the car? I plan on doing the volume button and start stop controller today and any tips on the volume button replacement would be super appreciated. I did watch the video from Martin and I will be using pliers to pull out the silver ring with a towel wrapped around it but I am still scared to damage the delicate silver ring due to using pliers and force 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #87
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

There's a thread on crystal volume button.
Great helpful information.
I used a tiny screwdriver.
Took me 2-3 minutes.
Start / Stop was also simple.
I need to do Shifter next.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #88
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Anyone has tried the volume button with the trim on the car?
dedicated thread here

Crystal Series Volume Button https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805028
Appreciate 0