BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
NazaK
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 418d

5 days and back to the dealer

So picked up my 45e last friday, during a drive on Wednesday morning I feel a drip on my knee. I look at the ceiling and notice a drop of water and the roof is soaking wet. Took it back to the dealer, they will investigate it on monday.
What kind of compensation should I ask? Extended warranty? I'm a bit concerned about the electronics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

It could be bad glue(polyurethane) on the windshield.
Long term, headliner will start dropping, just the question when, unless Bmw is using super glue. If you can, go for extended warranty.
Btw how long you can extend warranty in the EU?
      12-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Also, if you have a sunroof, could be seals or a drain issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

That @€#*cks. Sorry to hear that.

This has been reported before on this forum. Seems to be a moonroof problem.

I hope they find a solutions for you
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

If the whole roof area is soaking wet, I would refuse the car and order a new one.

It will not be an easy task to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Any update on this? Curious as to the cause. Was it a bad seal on the shark-fin antenna or the sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #7
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

this is one of the reasons I sold my E70, leak are VERY hard to diagnose and after a few attempt I just gave up and sold the car, i hope yours will be more easily indetifiable

fro sure once you get the car back put a water hose on top of the car and see if it happens again.
      01-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #8
NazaK
Belgium
Rep

They put the car under a rain shower for a few hours but didn't notice any leak. At the end of the day they called me with that update and asked what happened prior to the leak (normal rain, everything closed obviously)
Next day continued their investigation, noticed a wire of the sunroof drain was not in the perfect position, that might have been the cause. Tested it again with the rain shower.

Got the car back, they will contact me for a possible compensation as the supervisor was not there at pickup.

Didn't have any real rain yet to test it myself.

Car did come back with a big scratch on passenger door... will contact them about it tomorrow
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      01-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #9
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

How did they know for sure it wasn’t slowly leaking? Did they completely dry out the headliner (or replace it), prior to the test?

Also, any odor or smell from the dampness?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #10
NazaK
Belgium
Rep

I dropped the car on the 24th, they opened all the doors and roof and let it dry out before starting their investigation on the 28th.

Didn't notice any smell and no stains on the roof liner
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazaK View Post
They put the car under a rain shower for a few hours but didn't notice any leak. At the end of the day they called me with that update and asked what happened prior to the leak (normal rain, everything closed obviously)
Next day continued their investigation, noticed a wire of the sunroof drain was not in the perfect position, that might have been the cause. Tested it again with the rain shower.

Got the car back, they will contact me for a possible compensation as the supervisor was not there at pickup.

Didn't have any real rain yet to test it myself.

Car did come back with a big scratch on passenger door... will contact them about it tomorrow
I seem to recall an issue at least one 2019 G05 owner complained about where one of the tubes that drains the water from the sunroof channel to under the car, was not installed properly and therefore caused water to leak into the cabin, similar to yours. Someone also complained about water getting into the footwell and that was caused by a A/C condensate drain not connected properly. You could search the forum if you wanted to find those posts but your issue seems to be a repeat of theirs.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      01-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

That is so frustrating .... then the scratch on top of it all. I hope you have better luck with your G05 moving forward
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 09:09 PM   #13
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

We had an issue with another brand years ago. Dealer did the ‘hose’ shower and nothing. Problem was so bad a cup’s volume of water would spill out of the glove compartment when opened after a rain. Also the roof and carper would get wet.

Likely one of two issues:1. Sunroof drain tubes run incorrectly, but that would usually be seen with water lower down toward the floor unless it’s backing up from a clog.
2. More likely it’s an area of missed adhesive around the windshield seal. In our case, the hose test did nothing - not enough pressure and not the right angle. Lemon Law lawyer had a tech look at the car and within a few minutes and a stethoscope he was able to hear wind noise coming from the wndshield. Noise = potential water intrusion.
Turns out, after we won the case but were waiting for the buyback to go through we got a bad crack in our windshield and had to replace it so we got to see what was nought to be the issue first hand. Sure enough, the black tarry adhesive holding the windshield to the frame had a spot where they never finished the application and it left a spot about 1 inch long where the water was coming in.

Hope they can figure yours out but that might be something to look at. Sorry about the scratch - just compounds the frustration!

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      01-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #14
explosive0
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

Good luck. Having the exact issue on a different brand, and ended up ordering a MY21 X5.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #15
Chilcy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi - a month after buying a Used BMW X5 (2020 plates) from approved dealership there was heavy rain and I noticed water on seat next morning. Then discovered headliner above and around sun visor and down the pillar was very wet. And finally gravity meant the footwell too was soaked. Stressful.
Did a bit of research inc here and found the issue. There are drain holes in the front right and front left corner of the sunroof when open. Max 6mm diameter. The one on the right (above the leak) was clearly blocked with 'standing water' sitting there. I sucked it out with a straw (yuck) and covered the car. Called dealer(s) who said they could see me for a diagnostic in 4-6 weeks. Great. So had an idea and bought one of those compressed air machines (the ones with small tanks) and air gun along with 2 meters of 6mm tubing. £120 for the lot from Amazon. Arrived next day - pushed tubing down as far as it could go, rigged it up to the machine and blasted air down the hole for 2 mins. Immediately saw water release (little tube in door frame near bottom which is 'pursed' rather than open presumably to stop insects crawling in). Very satisfying - did other side just in case - and then poured some water into the cavity where the standing water had been and it drained away immediately. Stuck a dehumidifier I had from my basement in the car overnight and was dry. Next day two heavy rainstorms and zero issues so far. Pic of the sunroof recess space I'm talking about with arrow pointing to top right where hole is. Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0