01-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #23
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Wow! Thank you for all of your responses! Really feeling the love!

So I received a quote from the dealer and basically there is a $6190 difference if I order, custom, before January 31 and a $7490 difference if I order after. The reason is because they're waiving the shipping fee for this month.

To give you an idea of the deal that is currently being offered.

Almost fully loaded X5 xDrive 40i MSport: $65,900 |MSRP $78,400
21" M Y-Spoke bi-color wheel
Phytonic Blue Metallic
Vernasca Black Leather
Brown-Metallic Ash Grain Wood
MSports Pkg
Executive Pkg
Luxury Seating Package
Parking Assistance Package
Front and Rear heated seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrest, and Steering Wheel
3rd row seat + air suspension
Extended Shadowline Trim
M Sports Brakes with red calipers
(Only options missing: DAPP/ Aluminum running board/ Hitch) Space saver not included because of the 3rd row seat.

I'm not firm on the 3rd row but it seems like enough people out there think the ride is more comfortable with it. Also, I like the idea of being able to adjust the second row.

The quote I received for the custom build which is every option mentioned above + DAPP is $72,090 if ordered before Feb and $73,390 if ordered after. (MSRP: $80,100).

Decisions, decisions.....
You can get air suspension without the 3rd row. The 3rd row is only good for if you have two little kids. Adults really cant sit back there for more than 15 minutes, maybe.

When you get the M sport package, it comes with the M sport transmission, along with aesthetic changes. But if you bundle onto it the 3rd row or the air suspension, you pay a bit more, and they take out the M transmission and put in the air one. I personally think that's kind of a waste since the M sport package costs so much to begin with, is supposed to come with the sportier transmission and when they replace it with the air suspension (which is cheaper to get standalone), you're paying all of it just for some aesthetic changes.

Your build is good, and the deal they are giving you is also very good. But they ordered this vehicle with a lot of non functional, aesthetic options, like the bigger wheels, shadowline trim, m sport etc.

Personally, I value functionality over aesthetics. We all compromise somewhere, and my build doesn't have big wheels and the other outside stuff, but I got all the inside upgrades.

If you're happy with how your truck looks and you do a lot of only city driving, 16% off is a very fair deal and I doubt you'd miss DAPP. But if you're a highway commuter, you should consider looking elsewhere for a similar build with DAPP.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:50 PM   #24
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
That's absolutely ridiculous, cheapskates alright !

Reminds me of the HDD they put in the dash that has a high-pitched whining sound.
Don't worry, BMW also removed the HDD media storage on all 2021 X5's. What does a HDD 30GB cost them, maybe at best a dollar a vehicle, but again that's a dollar per vehicle that the shareholders can divvy up.
It's all about being cheap. I guess the BMW bean counters that make $150-200K a year have to come up with any means possible to justify their salaries.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #25
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Hello all! Thank you again for all the advice! Honestly, this community is one the best out there. When I was looking to buy an XC90, I couldn’t find a forum that had the same number of active members as this one did! I’m glad I decided to stay with BMW!

So I finally put a deposit on my 2021 X5 xDrive 40i Msport with the following:

Artic Grey Metallic
Black Vernasca Leather
Aluminum Tetragon Trim
21” M Y-spoke bi-color wheels
M Sports Package
M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers
Executive Package
Luxury Seating Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrests, and Steering Wheel
3rd-row seat + air suspension
Extended Shadowline Trim

In an effort to help those who are looking to purchase a vehicle similar to mine, I’ll try to explain the reasons I picked specific options to the best of my ability.
I picked the exterior, interior, trim, M Sports package, sports brakes, and extended shadowline trim purely for aesthetic reasons. This is all preference-based so no need to go into further detail.
I added the 21” M Y-spoke bi-color wheels not only because I think they look good but also because it increases speed limiter. (Note: 840 - Increased top speed limiter)

I chose to get the executive package over the premium purely for aesthetic reasons. I personally think the blue laser lights add uniqueness and since you can’t get them without the executive package, I had no choice but to add them. Because I’m purchasing an NA BMW in Korea, I will not be able to use the Remote Engine Start via the app and the heads-up display will only show speed as I will not be connected to Korea’s BMW network. This means no arrows from the navigation or camera alerts. I probably won’t use gesture control too often but wanted to have it just to try. The Panoramic Sky Lounge LED roof, glass control, and rear manual side window shades are for the wow effect.

The Luxury Seating Package, Front and Rear Heated Seats, Heated Front Seats, Armrests, & Steering wheel were added strictly for comfort. I tried parking assist in a friends x5 M50i and wasn’t too impressed but I think its primarily because both of us didn’t really know how to use it. So I added it because I’ve heard nothing but how amazing it is from other people both in and out of this forum. I hoping once I get over the learning curve, it’ll work very well.

Now on to the 2 most asked questions! Drivers Assistance Professional Package and Air Suspension.

I opted to add the 3rd-row seats + air suspension which automatically adds 2-axle air suspension. This means that the M adaptive suspension which is part of the M Sports package is deleted and replaced by the 2-axle air suspension or the 3rd row seats + air suspension option. I personally chose the 3rd row seats + air suspension option because I liked the idea of having 2 additional seats and because I wanted something to make the ride more comfortable. I added this option knowing that the 2 extra seats would not be comfortable for any person who is 5’7” or taller. Especially on longer rides.

Another important reason I wanted the 3rd row setup is because my wife wanted the ability to recline the 2nd row even if it was only 1 more degree! A video I found shows that it reclines a decent amount. The video is in Korean but you can watch from 8:59 to get an idea of how much it will recline (
). I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you that I was concerned about air suspension failure and the cost associated to replace/repair them but….. YOLO!

I had the opportunity to test drive 2 X5 50i’s, one with air suspension and one without. I honestly did not realize that I was driving one that had it. It might have something to do with the fact that I was driving it in sports mode the whole time….. After reading several reviews, it seemed like the majority of the members here had a good experience with it, which is why I added it to the build.

Now on to Drivers Assistance Professional Package also known as DAPP! Honestly….. I was pretty disappointed with it when I tried it today. Maybe my expectations were too high? When I was in active steering/ active cruise control, it seemed as if had a preference to hug the right side of the lane and many times almost ran into the next lane. On 2 occasions it moved over solid double yellow lines and was horrible when it came to curves. With that being said, I think it may be based on a learning curve and the experience will be better once I understand its limits and capabilities. I also noticed that it seemed to do better when there were other vehicles around. I can definitely see a use case for this on a highway where the road is predominately straight.

The traffic jam assistant worked like a charm. Honestly, based on my short experience, DAPP is worth it even if it's only for this feature. I didn’t get to test it in heavily congested traffic, but a smile formed across my face when I realized how well it performed and imagined all the traffic scenarios in which I could travel stress-free. Please remember that DAPP is only a level 2 function that is supposed to assist in driving and not replace the need for a driver.

Supposedly there is a backorder and I’m not expected to get my vehicle until June or July of this year. Once I do I’ll test it out and update this post. SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST and thanks again to all those who replied!

V/r
JC

Last edited by JC316; 01-29-2021 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #26
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Hello all! Thank you again for all the advice! Honestly, this community is one the best out there. When I was looking to buy an XC90, I couldn’t find a forum that had the same number of active members as this one did! I’m glad I decided to stay with BMW!

So I finally put a deposit on my 2021 X5 xDrive 40i Msport with the following:

Artic Grey Metallic
Black Vernasca Leather
Aluminum Tetragon Trim
21” M Y-spoke bi-color wheels
M Sports Package
M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers
Executive Package
Luxury Seating Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrests, and Steering Wheel
3rd-row seat + air suspension
Extended Shadowline Trim

In an effort to help those who are looking to purchase a vehicle similar to mine, I’ll try to explain the reasons I picked specific options to the best of my ability.
I picked the exterior, interior, trim, M Sports package, sports brakes, and extended shadowline trim purely for aesthetic reasons. This is all preference-based so no need to go into further detail.
I added the 21” M Y-spoke bi-color wheels not only because I think they look good but also because it increases speed limiter. (Note: 840 - Increased top speed limiter)

I chose to get the executive package over the premium purely for aesthetic reasons. I personally think the blue laser lights add uniqueness and since you can’t get them without the executive package, I had no choice but to add them. Because I’m purchasing an NA BMW in Korea, I will not be able to use the Remote Engine Start via the app and the heads-up display will only show speed as I will not be connected to Korea’s BMW network. This means no arrows from the navigation or camera alerts. I probably won’t use gesture control too often but wanted to have it just to try. The Panoramic Sky Lounge LED roof, glass control, and rear manual side window shades are for the wow effect.

The Luxury Seating Package, Front and Rear Heated Seats, Heated Front Seats, Armrests, & Steering wheel were added strictly for comfort. I tried parking assist in a friends x5 M50i and wasn’t too impressed but I think its primarily because both of us didn’t really know how to use it. So I added it because I’ve heard nothing but how amazing it is from other people both in and out of this forum. I hoping once I get over the learning curve, it’ll work very well.

Now on to the 2 most asked questions! Drivers Assistance Professional Package and Air Suspension.

I opted to add the 3rd-row seats + air suspension which automatically adds 2-axle air suspension. This means that the M adaptive suspension which is part of the M Sports package is deleted and replaced by the 2-axle air suspension or the 3rd row seats + air suspension option. I personally chose the 3rd row seats + air suspension option because I liked the idea of having 2 additional seats and because I wanted something to make the ride more comfortable. I added this option knowing that the 2 extra seats would not be comfortable for any person who is 5’7” or taller. Especially on longer rides.

Another important reason I wanted the 3rd row setup is because my wife wanted the ability to recline the 2nd row even if it was only 1 more degree! A video I found shows that it reclines a decent amount. The video is in Korean but you can watch from 8:59 to get an idea of how much it will recline (
). I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you that I was concerned about air suspension failure and the cost associated to replace/repair them but….. YOLO!

I had the opportunity to test drive 2 X5 50i’s, one with air suspension and one without. I honestly did not realize that I was driving one that had it. It might have something to do with the fact that I was driving it in sports mode the whole time….. After reading several reviews, it seemed like the majority of the members here had a good experience with it, which is why I added it to the build.

Now on to Drivers Assistance Professional Package also known as DAPP! Honestly….. I was pretty disappointed with it when I tried it today. Maybe my expectations were too high? When I was in active steering/ active cruise control, it seemed as if had a preference to hug the right side of the lane and many times almost ran into the next lane. On 2 occasions it moved over solid double yellow lines and was horrible when it came to curves. With that being said, I think it may be based on a learning curve and the experience will be better once I understand its limits and capabilities. I also noticed that it seemed to do better when there were other vehicles around. I can definitely see a use case for this on a highway where the road is predominately straight.

The traffic jam assistant worked like a charm. Honestly, based on my short experience, DAPP is worth it even if it's only for this feature. I didn’t get to test it in heavily congested traffic, but a smile formed across my face when I realized how well it performed and imagined all the traffic scenarios in which I could travel stress-free. Please remember that DAPP is only a level 2 function that is supposed to assist in driving and not replace the need for a driver.

Supposedly there is a backorder and I’m not expected to get my vehicle until June or July of this year. Once I do I’ll test it out and update this post. SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST and thanks again to all those who replied!

V/r
JC
Congratulations - that’s a great build! And yes, the ACC will take some getting used to but not much. Some have reported improvements to the functioning via the Idrive updates, not sure if that true or just perceived but would be cool if that is true.

Either way, that smile using TJA - yep, that’s the one everyone was talking about
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:12 AM   #27
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Talking

After ALOT of research and consideration.... I decided to cancel my X5 xDrive 40i MSports order......

And..... Decided to get an X5 M50i instead!

X5 M50i
Artic Grey
Aluminum Tetragon Trim
Black Vernasca Leather
21" M Y-Spoke bi-color wheel
Red Caliper and Breaks
Executive Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Drivers Assistance Professional Package
Space-saver spare
Front and rear heated seats
Heated front seats, armrests & steering
Extended shadowline trim

I didn't opt for the air suspension for 2 reasons. I've read many posts and the overall consensus is that the adaptive M suspension professional is actually quite good in regards to comfort and performance. That and I didn't want to replace the AMSP and pay an additional $1300.

If you search the forum you'll find a lot of people really like the air suspension. I'd say air suspension is for those people who want an even more comfortable riding experience! I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I added the space-saver spare because the option is only an additional $150 and I know that the jack costs about that much.

I had considered waiting until the 2022 price guide came out but didn't want to miss out on the 10% discount + free shipping. Also didn't want to have to pay extra for the 2022 model.

We'll see in 6 months whether I made an amazing or great decision! Regardless! I'm happy to remain a part of this family!

JC
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy12880.50
      02-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #28
Striker169
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
...When you get the M sport package, it comes with the M sport transmission, along with aesthetic changes. But if you bundle onto it the 3rd row or the air suspension, you pay a bit more, and they take out the M transmission and put in the air one. I personally think that's kind of a waste since the M sport package costs so much to begin with, is supposed to come with the sportier transmission and when they replace it with the air suspension (which is cheaper to get standalone), you're paying all of it just for some aesthetic changes...

Do you have any link/documentation on the transmission change when you opt for the air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #29
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169 View Post
Do you have any link/documentation on the transmission change when you opt for the air suspension?
I think he meant to say suspension not transmission.

All X5 models 40i, 45e, M50i - use the same 2TB 8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission.

Opting air suspension on M Sport models removes 2VF Adaptive M suspension (steel springs/shocks) and replaces with 2VR 2-axle air suspension.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #30
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I received my car earlier this week (3 days ago). Still getting used to it but I AM SO GLAD THAT I OPTIONED DAPP! I cannot imagine buying another vehicle without it.

I'll post a write up on my experience with DAPP in the future but if you're on the fence. GET IT!!!
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      06-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #31
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Post some photos too
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #32
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

It looks like BMW will update DAPP with the new features and unlock some that are currently region-locked. So it might turn out to be an even better decision to have ordered the DAPP.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #33
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
It looks like BMW will update DAPP with the new features and unlock some that are currently region-locked. So it might turn out to be an even better decision to have ordered the DAPP.
What kind of updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:32 AM   #34
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Traffic light recognition, better narrow lane handling, better automatic lane changes, things like that.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 08:25 AM   #35
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Traffic light recognition, better narrow lane handling, better automatic lane changes, things like that.
Do you have a source for the information? I would be very interested in those updates.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #36
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
Quote:
Do you have a source for the information? I would be very interested in those updates.
BMW Global X5/X6 model upgrades for Summer 2021

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27632479

Note: timing or features of upgrades may not be applicable to USA market

Traffic light recognition discussion [not available in USA market]
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1740022

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #37
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
Sorry to say this but if you have to ask, and you're that torn from the start, it is likely that you will always regret not getting DAPP every time you get into the car.

I don't know you personally so thats not a guarantee but it's like big screen TVs - no one ever turns on their purchased TV and says 'I wish I had gotten a smaller TV' but the opposite happens a lot. TV and SUV are obviously very different but if you even think you might have buyer's remorse not getting it, I would probably work out a comfortable deal with the dealer on the car you want.

If you do end up regretting not getting the DAPP and trade to get into it later, you'll probably lose more than the few thousand dollars difference in sale price.

Plus, lots of safety extras in the DAPP.

I personally would never buy a car without the semi-autonomous driving assistance package. It's saved my bacon on a number of occasions over the years (other drivers being stupid) and makes driving much less stressful in general.

Good luck either way!

As an aside, I never thought about getting an X5 either but just picked up my M50i last week and I'm LOVING it so far! Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll love your X5 too!
You are so right. Almost all purchasing decisions are made emotionally. If you are emotionally attached to something you want, all the dealer needs to do is to make the monthly cost acceptable - I have seen tons of video where they say, only think about the total cost and ignore the monthly. However, most sales people will tell you that it comes down to monthly payments in the end. If you can swing the monthly, then go for it, since you will lose more by trading/selling whatever you get otherwise to get what you want.

People who pay cash, are the only ones who evaluate the cost/benefit from my experience.

Anyway, I don't know your situation. But like someone said, you should aim for the highest specs you can afford for your monthly budget. If that means DAP+ or M50i.

Purely logically, the reason these are options are because they are not must haves. I recall people saying DHP was a must have, until it was no longer available. Then Harmon Kardon Premium, until it was not available, Air suspension, so and so forth…

Personally, I would not pay $5K, if that is your true delta for DAP. I'd be happy that I got an amazing deal on a car that has almost everything I wanted. Life is making such decisions. This is not just BMW, lots of people are paying $10K for Tesla's FSD for the same reason which I would never pay for. JMHO.
Appreciate 1
Stoshu491.00