Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
That's pretty cool and $350 is only slightly disturbed and not totally insane. But be careful, the iOS app hasn't been updated in 3 years — Apple's Bluetooth handling definitely changed in that timeframe so that lack of update may mean it's abandoned. However, just downloaded and tried it and it seems to work and detects all the other Bluetooth devices around me, so maybe ok.

I've now scanned through the entire website and watched all the videos. I have to say, as an engineer, that at least mechanically, this appears to be a very well engineered product, not the fly-by-night hobby hacks you tend to see for stuff like this. I am tempted to try this just to support good engineering for a change, as crazy an overkill as this is (but they don't ship to Canada).

Seems like it would also be cool to attach some Frikin Lasers™ to that in addition to the plate.
Interesting concept! So, it retracts when not driving? Extends when approached by the constable? I can see where it avoids having to drill the bumper, but not how it precludes having a front plate displayed if your state requires it....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #112
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
My solution. I've been using this method for my last 4 BMW's and none of them flew off even traveling triple digit speeds (in mexico )

I put two vertical strips of the dual lock tape right next to each other on the side of the plate. Wind pushes the plate into the velcro so its not going anywhere. I use this method on my previous F10, F15, F85, F80 without any issues.

My thoughts are nobody is going around stealing license plates. If they were it doesn't matter how you attach it because you can rip the whole mount off the car in seconds if they wanted to.

The plate looks like its floating and the metal plate does not touch the bumper at all. It also does not impact the sensor below it if you install it like I did all the way up just before the raised edge

Get two packs of this and you are set. Make sure you clean the area to remove any wax/residue, then heat up the tape before applying it to the bumper and to the plate. I would let it sit for a few hours before actually attaching the plate to the car allowing the adhesive to cure. It comes in clear or black. Black is great because you can easily remove the front plate for photos and the black tape sorta blends right into that area of the bumper which you can edit out easily if needed. I for one can't stand off center plates or crooked danging plates with zip ties. Best part is that its all reversible without leaving any marks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting... how does the paint handle it when it comes time to remove the velcro on the car side?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #113
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
Interesting... how does the paint handle it when it comes time to remove the velcro on the car side?
I've removed them on all of my cars before they are sold and zero issues. Just warm it up with a heat gun and roll them off slowly. I wouldn't go and yank it off abruptly. Doesn't leave any marks.
      11-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #114
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I did the same with my other car. Velcro is just perfect an hold even high speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #115
solomonshv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6

Garage List
based on suggestions here, i got the platypus mount for my X6 M sport. i raided amazon's open box supply of platypus holders. got an open box standard X5 kit and an open box lexus kit, forget which one. used the bolt from the X5 kit and frame from the lexus kit. cost about $50 total and i still have spare parts. nice

i'm happy to report that toll booths and automated garages (that scan the front plate) aren't a problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #116
Carbonio
Rep
Drives: M2

Here is a no-drill option that places the plate in the center and does not interfere with the front ACC:

https://carbonio.com/collections/bmw...se-plate-mount
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4591.00
      02-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #117
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonio View Post
Here is a no-drill option that places the plate in the center and does not interfere with the front ACC:

https://carbonio.com/collections/bmw...se-plate-mount
Do you have pics of the kit, both uninstalled on the car, and a pic of the side-view of it mounted?

Thanks in advance!

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:04 AM   #118
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I have the Carbonio for 2021 X6MC. I took it off. Didn't work so well for me. I use a weathertech clearcover and found the cover just to heavy for the bracket. Also a little cumbersome to to install and uninstall. Doesn't feel that solid especially if you are washing the car or occasionally have to go through a touchless car wash here in winter, it has to be removed. I also did not like the angle the plate sat or the fact that I had to put on the small rubber protectors on to stop chaffing the bumper. It ataches to the lower grill and puts a lot of pressure on the grill, I could see the grill stressing. At highway speeds I thought it might just chatter against the bumper. It's well machined just seemed to light weight for my liking. I bought this a month and a half before i took delivery and can not return it. Expensive mistake.

Appreciate 1
ed41328.00
      02-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #119
iX52020
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
I have the Carbonio for 2021 X6MC. I took it off. Didn't work so well for me. I use a weathertech clearcover and found the cover just to heavy for the bracket. Also a little cumbersome to to install and uninstall. Doesn't feel that solid especially if you are washing the car or occasionally have to go through a touchless car wash here in winter, it has to be removed. I also did not like the angle the plate sat or the fact that I had to put on the small rubber protectors on to stop chaffing the bumper. It ataches to the lower grill and puts a lot of pressure on the grill, I could see the grill stressing. At highway speeds I thought it might just chatter against the bumper. It's well machined just seemed to light weight for my liking. I bought this a month and a half before i took delivery and can not return it. Expensive mistake.
What are you going to use instead?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #120
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iX52020 View Post
What are you going to use instead?

In Ontario,Canada Front plates are mandatory, so really makes no difference to me. I just had the dealer use the factory supplied plate mount screwed into bumper. Much more secure than the Carbonio. Now I don't need to worry about the hassle of removing the plate at touchless carwashes or when I use a pressure washer here at home. Also no snow build up behind the plate here in winter.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #121
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Anyone find any issues with mounting these on the Mesh Grill? Grill strong enough against the pressures at higher speeds?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 11:48 AM   #122
Carbonio
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Interesting observations. We had a M235i (which has one of the flimsiest grilles BMW makes) as a test vehicle. It ran for over 2 years day in day out. Car washes, parked outdoors, summer, winter, snow and salt. The Carbonio bracket worked perfect and did zero damage when it was taken off to sell the car. Never did the license plate move or change position in all that time. What we have found is that the modular nature of the mount allows for multiple 'interpretations' regarding installation. To that end we have an information video in the works to help people better understand the mount and how best to fit it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:47 PM   #123
WAARBA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Thanks for all of the knowledge guys. Living in NY, I needed a front plate solution. On my F16 I had Cravenspeed. But Cravenspeed hasn't figured it out for the G05.

Went with the Sly Bracket solution on my 2021 X5 M Sport. I dont have ACC so I was able to center on the grill. Was able to install nice with no touching without using any of the supplied spacers. Yes, it does angle down a touch, but its a clean centered look, and I dont have to open up the tow opening. I purchased the option with four screw bolt on for the plate. Very snug.

Highly recommended if anyone is struggling with a front plate solution.
Attached Images

05-01-2021, 12:21 AM   #124
Harry2007
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Ughh I bought my 2021 X5 car in Maryland but I live in Pennsylvania, which does not require front plates. I’m not a big fan of the front license plate; I’m deciding to have it taken off.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #125
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2007 View Post
Ughh I bought my 2021 X5 car in Maryland but I live in Pennsylvania, which does not require front plates. I'm not a big fan of the front license plate; I'm deciding to have it taken off.
if you decide to remove the front license plate and can't stand the sight of the permanent holes in your front bumper trim, I have a brand new replacement trim if you're interested, which I can let go for super cheap.
BMW part number 51-11-8-099-662
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #126
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
In Ontario,Canada Front plates are mandatory, so really makes no difference to me. I just had the dealer use the factory supplied plate mount screwed into bumper. Much more secure than the Carbonio. Now I don't need to worry about the hassle of removing the plate at touchless carwashes or when I use a pressure washer here at home. Also no snow build up behind the plate here in winter.
I am moving from Quebec to Ontario with my X5. Can I take it to the dealer and ask them to install the plate mount? I can't drill it myself....It's like drilling into myself...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #127
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Quote:
I am moving from Quebec to Ontario with my X5. Can I take it to the dealer and ask them to install the plate mount? I can't drill it myself....It's like drilling into myself...
There was a rumour and I was hoping Doug was going to eliminate front plate requirement in Ontario and so installed the SlyBracket at the start of this thread upon pickup. Doug chickened out, but the SlyBracket still works well. No holes, no removals for touchless car washes (would never use a non-touchless), no sensor issues, no snow issues.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25788657
      05-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #128
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There was a rumour and I was hoping Doug was going to eliminate front plate requirement in Ontario and so installed the SlyBracket at the start of this thread upon pickup. Doug chickened out, but the SlyBracket still works well. No holes, no removals for touchless car washes (would never use a non-touchless), no sensor issues, no snow issues.

I knew! I was hoping Mr.Ford can make this happens, then I don't have to worry about it when I move this Summer...Too bad it didn't happen....

I was looking at this Sly brackets. People in this thread had concerns about only two screws to hold the license plate. So is it sturdy enough?

I see you mentioned in the other post that you used a different screws because you use a frame. What screws did you use?

Also, do they ship to Canada?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #129
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I knew! I was hoping Mr.Ford can make this happens, then I don't have to worry about it when I move this Summer...Too bad it didn't happen....

I was looking at this Sly brackets. People in this thread had concerns about only two screws to hold the license plate. So is it sturdy enough?

I see you mentioned in the other post that you used a different screws because you out a frame. What screws did you use?

Thanks
Ok, I guess you're going to make me research what I did two years ago. Sigh :-). Stand by and I'll see what I can find in the archives.

The longer bolts were only needed due to the cover and rubber washers. IIRC stock bolts were even long enough with cover, but they cracked that first cover on the first drive; the washers worked great for the second cover (I have a custom plate with sentimental value, so I protect it at the front).

Still sturdy. Never had to retighten or adjust for 2 years. Yes, they shipped to Canada no problem.
      05-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #130
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see you mentioned in the other post that you used a different screws because you out a frame. What screws did you use?

Thanks
Ok, I guess you're going to make me research what I did two years ago. Sigh :-). Stand by and I'll see what I can find in the archives.

The longer bolts were only needed due to the cover and rubber washers. IIRC stock bolts were even long enough with cover, but they cracked that first cover on the first drive; the washers worked great for the second cover (I have a custom plate with sentimental value, so I protect it at the front).

Still sturdy. Never had to retighten or adjust for 2 years. Yes, they shipped to Canada no problem.
BugKiller?
There's one picture you didn't whiteout the actual plate alphanumerics
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #131
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
BugKiller?
There's one picture you didn't whiteout the actual plate alphanumerics
BUGKILLR would be a great plate and quite appropriate that summer as I believe I was responsible for eliminating an entire species of insects along 401 and 400 with the X5. But no, that's not my plate. I guess my "photoshop" skills are good enough for the forum :-).
      05-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #132
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

did the sto n sho bracket works good no drilling with ACC Radar and I can remove it with a release clip
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Tch-Nrd118.50
Jacob9920.50