BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2020, 12:09 AM   #67
eddiewu7913
Registered
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

I have the same problem on my G05 40i. Wonder know is there any update on this issue from the dealership ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #68
Mick_87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i xDrive, 2022 X7 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Hi, I have a 2019 50i, got it in sept. I too notice this and am very sensitive to high frequency noises... it drives me BONKERS. I hear it for a long time after being in the car.

I did take it in... the service advisor noticed it too and thought it was weird, they apparently checked 4 other x5s on the lot and heard the same. The suggestion was that it’s noise cancellation and there were also “no publications from BMW” about it. I asked if any of the ones they checked on the lot were 2020s.. since mines a 2019, I thought maybe if it were a known problem, they’d likely fix it for this model year (see the consumer reports review re: ratings on all new models for 2019 on the X5!). In hindsight, I probably should have had him show me the ones he checked, but it was late and I just wanted to get home, ugh. I do believe that it was heard though and it sounds like a few ppl on this thread did the same.

I was so excited when he heard it too but ultimately it’s either meant to be noise cancellation or poor quality electronics BMW will never acknowledge.

What a bummer!

If I tell myself it’s noise cancellation tech, I feel a liiiiiiitle better and can tolerate it. Best thing to do is crack a window/open sunroof and/or have music on.

Bummer... but BMW is still the best choice out there hands down so what are you going to do?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #69
Twickers
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i on the way

I wonder, do all those of you who have this problem have the full colour HVAC display. All the cars I have heard it on have had it. All the cars where the display was black and white (orange at night) didn't have the sound.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #70
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

This is pretty sad especially when spending $60K+ on the X5. This is totally unacceptable and BMW is notorious for this type of issue. They make excuses like it is noise cancellation and when you think about it that phrase speaks for itself. There should be no noise like this. Calling BMW will get you zero results. I am seriously considering getting the X5 but if this is characteristic in all X5's it will be a deal breaker for me. I am going back and forth between the new GLE and the X5. Glad these forums expose the known issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #71
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman100 View Post
This is pretty sad especially when spending $60K+ on the X5. This is totally unacceptable and BMW is notorious for this type of issue. They make excuses like it is noise cancellation and when you think about it that phrase speaks for itself. There should be no noise like this. Calling BMW will get you zero results. I am seriously considering getting the X5 but if this is characteristic in all X5's it will be a deal breaker for me. I am going back and forth between the new GLE and the X5. Glad these forums expose the known issues.
It's definitely not in every X5. I am in the same boat as you at the moment and can only hear that sound on the early cars with the full colour hvac display.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #72
00klemm
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3, 2020 X5

G05 X5 - High pitched noise

Hey everyone,

I just received my 2020 X5 s40i, M package, same issue. My background of audio engineering (very sensitive ears) makes this a pure nightmare. My car is in the shop as I type and it's the 4th time... However, I am sharing a visual for everyone that underlines the issue. Used was a simple spectrum analyzer (apple store) and it clearly shows the frequencies creating the problem. Checked other cars, including my M3, and they are just gradually and fine. The two high frequency lines in the right side of the green curve are always up and pretty much static in my car. Wrote an email to BMW HQ as well and well, a N.A. rep is coming to Arizona to check my car out.

If a dealer/ shop refuses to acknowledge the problem altogether, just get a free 0r $0.99 app and verify visually . Just as an FYI...a 32db increase of those frequencies makes it "feel" literally over three times louder than anything else... I hear mine driving, even with music on. Good luck and please share if the issue was solved!
Attached Images

Last edited by 00klemm; 02-12-2020 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #73
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00klemm View Post
Hey everyone,

I just received my 2020 X5 s40i, M package, same issue. My background of audio engineering (very sensitive ears) makes this a pure nightmare. My car is in the shop as I type and it's the 4th time... However, I am sharing a visual for everyone that underlines the issue. Used was a simple spectrum analyzer (apple store) and it clearly shows the frequencies creating the problem. Checked other cars, including my M3, and they are just gradually and fine. The two high frequency lines in the right side of the green curve are always up and pretty much static in my car. Wrote an email to BMW HQ as well and well, a N.A. rep is coming to Arizona to check my car out.

If a dealer/ shop refuses to acknowledge the problem altogether, just get a free 0r $0.99 app and verify visually . Just as an FYI...a 32db increase of those frequencies makes it "feel" literally over three times louder than anything else... I hear mine driving, even with music on. Good luck and please share if the issue was solved!

Is this sound coming from the centre dash area (HVAC screen)?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #74
00klemm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
Is this sound coming from the centre dash area (HVAC screen)?
I am not entirely sure as it doesn't matter where you move the spectrum analyzer. To me the wireless charger might play a role in it and yes, colored LEDs have/ emit different frequencies as well compared to white ones. No news yet...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #75
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am not entirely sure as it doesn't matter where you move the spectrum analyzer. To me the wireless charger might play a role in it and yes, colored LEDs have/ emit different frequencies as well compared to white ones. No news yet...

I know some people hear it in the tweeters as well but I think the biggest culprit is the full colour HVAC display. The Black and white version don't seem to suffer as badly and one option is to have that unit replaced I believe. In the UK at least, only very early version of the car (launch specs) had the colour display and it then mysteriously disappeared. Let us know how you get on with your 4th dealer visit. At least you have some data to back things up which hopefully will help.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #76
00klemm
Rep

Quote:
I know some people hear it in the tweeters as well but I think the biggest culprit is the full colour HVAC display. The Black and white version don't seem to suffer as badly and one option is to have that unit replaced I believe. In the UK at least, only very early version of the car (launch specs) had the colour display and it then mysteriously disappeared. Let us know how you get on with your 4th dealer visit. At least you have some data to back things up which hopefully will help.
I will for sure take a closer look at that as an option. Really curious if they fixed it with am HQ service rep in the shop. ... Will update.\

Interesting that no one else had a conclusion to the issue yet. That makes me worried...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #77
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
I will for sure take a closer look at that as an option. Really curious if they fixed it with am HQ service rep in the shop. ... Will update.\

Interesting that no one else had a conclusion to the issue yet. That makes me worried...
I'm not sure if it was you or someone else (on youtube) who mentioned that BMW possibly had a software fix for this? (might just be my wishful thinking)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #78
00klemm
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure if it was you or someone else (on youtube) who mentioned that BMW possibly had a software fix for this? (might just be my wishful thinking)
Yes, that was me as well. I am picking her up today ands there was supposed to be a software fix - will report back! If that didn't fix it I will bring up the HVAC display...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #79
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that was me as well. I am picking her up today ands there was supposed to be a software fix - will report back! If that didn't fix it I will bring up the HVAC display...
Cool. I know we'll all be waiting with bated breath for news. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #80
00klemm
Rep

Quote:
Cool. I know we'll all be waiting with bated breath for news. Fingers crossed.
OK, sadly enough, it has not been fixed. It's the same as before. I am in tough with BMW N.A. as well and have some friends that work as technicians and suggested some things. Odds are it's just a faulty power unit for one of the displays that can't handle the induction charger (my view). I'll update...
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #81
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
OK, sadly enough, it has not been fixed. It's the same as before. I am in tough with BMW N.A. as well and have some friends that work as technicians and suggested some things. Odds are it's just a faulty power unit for one of the displays that can't handle the induction charger (my view). I'll update...
What a shame but thanks for keeping us in the loop. Just checking, is your vac/ac display colour or black and white?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #82
00klemm
Rep

Quote:
What a shame but thanks for keeping us in the loop. Just checking, is your vac/ac display colour or black and white?
It's white and orange...guess colored.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:16 AM   #83
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's white and orange...guess colored.
Sorry to be a bore, but like this one? If so, it really confirms my theory. I sat in an 8 series that has the same screen and the noise. I must have sat in over a dozen X5's with the black and white one and have yet to hear the sound in them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #84
tony102385
Rep
Drives: bmw x7

Quote:

Any update from BMW. I also have the noise in my X7. hvac and tweeter.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #85
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
2019 x5 40i same issue.
Dealership service tech cannot catch the noise.
anyone fixed the issue yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #86
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Not to discount any noises (I haven't listened yet in mine), but there is at least one fan in the general area, which is in the head unit. No idea if it's variable speed, but if it responds to temperature changes, that may be why some people hear it, others don't, etc. I've heard it kick on in previous gen BMWs. It's very faint, but if there is no other sound you hear it. It's a tiny fan so expect more of a high pitched whine to it. Additionally it's hidden behind the console, which is going to change the sound you hear a bit.

Another possibility could be some voltage electronics back there, maybe a capacitor or something.

Edit: While looking at other components on eBay, the digital has what looks like a blower fan, on the right side when viewing from the front.
      06-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #87
hullyoung
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Not to discount any noises (I haven't listened yet in mine), but there is at least one fan in the general area, which is in the head unit. No idea if it's variable speed, but if it responds to temperature changes, that may be why some people hear it, others don't, etc. I've heard it kick on in previous gen BMWs. It's very faint, but if there is no other sound you hear it. It's a tiny fan so expect more of a high pitched whine to it. Additionally it's hidden behind the console, which is going to change the sound you hear a bit.

Another possibility could be some voltage electronics back there, maybe a capacitor or something.

Edit: While looking at other components on eBay, the digital has what looks like a blower fan, on the right side when viewing from the front.
My x5 also has a color AC screen and I can hear the noise.

I’m pretty sure the noise is not coming from the fan. It’s super high frequency and a fan cannot produce it. It might be the voltage electronic in it though. Such a bummer that Bmw won’t acknowledge/fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #88
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullyoung View Post
My x5 also has a color AC screen and I can hear the noise.

I’m pretty sure the noise is not coming from the fan. It’s super high frequency and a fan cannot produce it. It might be the voltage electronic in it though. Such a bummer that Bmw won’t acknowledge/fix it.
Thank you for replying - I forgot about this. I checked the other day, audio & hvac off, if I put my ear right up to the display I can hear it. Very high pitched and you're right, not a fan. Thankfully it's so quiet I can't hear it unless I've got my ear up to it.

Maybe capacitors or something humming away?