BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #89
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Thank you for replying - I forgot about this. I checked the other day, audio & hvac off, if I put my ear right up to the display I can hear it. Very high pitched and you're right, not a fan. Thankfully it's so quiet I can't hear it unless I've got my ear up to it.

Maybe capacitors or something humming away?
May I ask your age? The reason I ask your age is that there is a known phenomenon related to people that are in their teens or early 20s. There is a certain high frequency range that can be easily heard by that age group that can't be heard by older people. I worked in IT at a high school and we discovered this and monopolized on it in unruly classrooms. We'd play the high frequency, which most teachers couldn't hear, but student's went berserk when they heard. it.

We started doing it just for a prank. The students would go nuts! "What is that terrible noise!? Turn it off! Stop!" We would say: "We don't hear anything. What are you talking about?" They would reply: "You can't hear that? Are you guys deaf?" It's really high pitched and sounds like a squealing noise!"

We eventually gave in and told them what it was. Most were unaware of the phenomenon.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #90
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
May I ask your age? The reason I ask your age is that there is a known phenomenon related to people that are in their teens or early 20s. There is a certain high frequency range that can be easily heard by that age group that can't be heard by older people. I worked in IT at a high school and we discovered this and monopolized on it in unruly classrooms. We'd play the high frequency, which most teachers couldn't hear, but student's went berserk when they heard. it.

We started doing it just for a prank. The students would go nuts! "What is that terrible noise!? Turn it off! Stop!" We would say: "We don't hear anything. What are you talking about?" They would reply: "You can't hear that? Are you guys deaf?" It's really high pitched and sounds like a squealing noise!"

We eventually gave in and told them what it was. Most were unaware of the phenomenon.
I actually wondered if age was relevant here. I'm in my late 30's.
      06-25-2020, 01:51 AM   #91
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I actually wondered if age was relevant here. I'm in my late 30's.
Age may still be relevant. As we age we lose hearing capabilities. Especially in the high frequency range. I would be willing to bet that I would not be able to hear it even with my ear right up against the console/dash. However, I know I have a severe high frequency loss in both ears but I would still suspect most people in their 60's wouldn't be able to hear it either.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #92
Mick_87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i xDrive, 2022 X7 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
I wonder, do all those of you who have this problem have the full colour HVAC display. All the cars I have heard it on have had it. All the cars where the display was black and white (orange at night) didn't have the sound.
I do have that display on mine. And I noticed when I had a loaner 2020 X5 it had the orange, digital clock-like display vs color. I listened very close and didn’t hear the noise.

I had assumed the color display was some subtle upgrade for a 50i. But maybe BMW knows about the issue and switched it for 2020+.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #93
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

I guess theres no fix to this yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #94
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 2021 X5

It happened to the 2021 X5 xdrive 40i i just picked up 2 weeks ago!!

I have been looking for a post like this for a while...after seeing this one, i registered for the forum but didn't get the priviledge to post replies till like today...

so yea, 2021 x5, the problem is present since day 1 i think...Picked up near Toronto here in Canada.
After i discovered it i wanted to make sure its not my ears that are ringing on their own, i downloaded this sound spectrum analyzer app on my phone and DID see big spikes around 8k and 11k Hz point, when i put the phone near the idrive screen or the small AC control screen.

So, i took it back to the dealership, they looked at it and this is what they told me:
1, Another customer also reported this.
2, they sat into a demo x5 and noticed the same noise.
3, so they checked it out and believe this noise is from a tiny cooling fan within the front dash body, and this is NORMAL. so they told me "i guess you will have to live with it".

Well, i tried to live with it...but i couldn't. Not only it is mentally bugging me, but also it is kinda hurting my ears after a short road trip...

So i called BMW customer service and they say they will talk to the dealership to find out what they can do.

I came from Mercedes because i heard many good things about X5/X6 lol but if this is what i get for 100 grand CAD ...that would suck.

Will update when i hear from the customer service...if they actually do anything about this.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #95
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
I have been looking for a post like this for a while...after seeing this one, i registered for the forum but didn't get the priviledge to post replies till like today...

so yea, 2021 x5, the problem is present since day 1 i think...Picked up near Toronto here in Canada.
After i discovered it i wanted to make sure its not my ears that are ringing on their own, i downloaded this sound spectrum analyzer app on my phone and DID see big spikes around 8k and 11k Hz point, when i put the phone near the idrive screen or the small AC control screen.

So, i took it back to the dealership, they looked at it and this is what they told me:
1, Another customer also reported this.
2, they sat into a demo x5 and noticed the same noise.
3, so they checked it out and believe this noise is from a tiny cooling fan within the front dash body, and this is NORMAL. so they told me "i guess you will have to live with it".

Well, i tried to live with it...but i couldn't. Not only it is mentally bugging me, but also it is kinda hurting my ears after a short road trip...

So i called BMW customer service and they say they will talk to the dealership to find out what they can do.

I came from Mercedes because i heard many good things about X5/X6 lol but if this is what i get for 100 grand CAD ...that would suck.

Will update when i hear from the customer service...if they actually do anything about this.
Oh please update cause mine has the noise too. The GF can't hear it, but it drives me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #96
alw9033
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Oh please update cause mine has the noise too. The GF can't hear it, but it drives me nuts.
would love to hear an update as well as the noise is driving me crazy too!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #97
El30
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 E46 M3

Following. Same issue on my ‘19 X5 40i. With the car completely turned off, I get the high pitch noise from from the HVAC control area. Submitted the issue to BMW North America.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:40 AM   #98
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My car will be going in the shop tomorrow and Im picking up a loaner.

I will tell them to call me when its fixed, if not, don't bother and give me my money back. I'm not dealing with this on a brand new car. Ill go sit in some other X6's and buy one that doesn't have the noise. This is a product like any other and I am 100% entitled to satisfaction. If the dealer won't give me a new car I will contact BMW NA and lemon the car if I have to. A simple audio recording picks up the sound no problem so the proof is not hard to establish.

This issue may be as simple as a faulty HVAC unit or as complicated as a loose ground anywhere on the car, under all the trim or some faulty control unit of the dozens that integrate with each other. Either way, if it takes longer than 30 days I don't want the car back unless they pay my note for the month. I didn't buy a brand new car to enjoy a base model loaner for whatever time.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #99
El30
Private
Rep

Quote:
My car will be going in the shop tomorrow and Im picking up a loaner.

I will tell them to call me when its fixed, if not, don't bother and give me my money back. I'm not dealing with this on a brand new car. Ill go sit in some other X6's and buy one that doesn't have the noise. This is a product like any other and I am 100% entitled to satisfaction. If the dealer won't give me a new car I will contact BMW NA and lemon the car if I have to. A simple audio recording picks up the sound no problem so the proof is not hard to establish.

This issue may be as simple as a faulty HVAC unit or as complicated as a loose ground anywhere on the car, under all the trim or some faulty control unit of the dozens that integrate with each other. Either way, if it takes longer than 30 days I don't want the car back unless they pay my note for the month. I didn't buy a brand new car to enjoy a base model loaner for whatever time.
Let us know if they figure it out. I'll be taking mine in in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #100
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El30 View Post
Its basically figured out...BMW NA admitted that the oem that makes the part is to blame and they are in talks with them how to improve it. As of now, the only solution is to play the IHKA lottery and hope you get one that doesn't sing.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #101
El30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Its basically figured out...BMW NA admitted that the oem that makes the part is to blame and they are in talks with them how to improve it. As of now, the only solution is to play the IHKA lottery and hope you get one that doesn't sing.
Brought the car to the dealership for the noise and the tech and foreman stated they couldn't hear it. I contacted BMW NA and they said they don't have any information in that issue. Do you happen to have a POC for the person at BMW NA that said they are aware of the problem? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 12:12 AM   #102
ladra
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 2021

Received my MY21 x40i few weeks ago and it also has this noise. I can bear it somewhat but not sure for how long.

-Vanguard-, do you have any documentation regarding this info from BMWNA? I figure the dealer probably will say they can't hear it and will try to dismiss it. Would like to go to the dealer with something to prove myself.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #103
El30
Private
Rep

High pitched noise from center infotainment stack

So my dealer ended up replacing my unit but after I got the car back last week, it still makes the same high pitched noise measuring in around 12000 hz. The car is back there right now so they can gather more information as they have been in talks with one their technical reps (I forget what their title is exactly). I would call BMW NA to raise the issue with them first. They'll tell you to take the vehicle into the dealer to look at it but the complaint will be logged. They said until they get a certain amount of complaints they won't really act on it. You can download a decibel meter to your phone that can measure frequencies to illustrate the noise if they can't hear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #104
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Age is definitely a factor. Normal (young) adults top out around 20k (most just north of 17k); middle-age reduces that to around 14k. Over 50, 12k. My hearing in my 70s is shot for most anything over 8k. As they say, your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #105
El30
Private
Rep

High pitched noise from center infotainment stack

Exactly. When I measured the frequency that my car was emitting, I started looking up the age groups that can hear in that frequency range. In each of the loaner X5's I've had with the color HVAC display, the noise was present but with varying levels of intensity. I'm sure most of the X5/6's have this issue with the color display but only a small group of people are actually hearing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #106
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
You can download a decibel meter to your phone that can measure frequencies to illustrate the noise if they can't hear it.
Do you mind sharing the app you used to measure this?
      04-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #107
El30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Quote:
You can download a decibel meter to your phone that can measure frequencies to illustrate the noise if they can't hear it.
Do you mind sharing the app you used to measure this?
It's called "Decibel X". Credit to 00klemm who suggested this.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 08:24 PM   #108
ladra
Private
Rep

Does anyone have any update on this high pitch noise issue with the AC display?

-Vanguard- , do you happen to have a case # or anything for reference?

Has anyone received a "new" part that doesn't sing by itself?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:13 PM   #109
meramo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

2022 x40i, having the high pitched noise from somewhere under the hood (initially thought it's one of the electrical units installed there at least).

It's clearly noticeable once the car shuts off the engine on traffic lights, lasts for a few seconds and then fades away. Doesn't bother at all while listening to music, but in silence it's quite annoying.

Will try to get a sound recording, but looks very related to the topic so far, subscribing!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:20 AM   #110
ladra
Private
Rep

meramo,

Thank you for your input. You can check if this issue applies to you simply by placing your hand over the AC (color) display panel between the vents and the sound should somewhat disappear. Also, you can place your ear next to the display panel and you should be able to hear the high pitch more clearly, if you have the same issue.

This issue is not from the the engine compartment, and most likely should not fade in or out during your drive. Rather, it should be pretty constant.
Appreciate 0