speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jale9579 View Post
I have Vredestein Wintrac Pro Snow tires 275/40r22 mounted on my 742m wheels. Doesn't looked stretched at all IMO.
What is the width of the front and rear 742m rims?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:06 AM   #46
Afjeld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 CT & G26 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
What is the width of the front and rear 742m rims?
It's the OEM M742 Jet black 9,5x22"front and 10,5x22" rear on Pirelli Scorpions Winter 275/35-22" front and rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:11 AM   #47
Afjeld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongbong18 View Post
Would you please post more pics of the rear with that tire size? I'm curious how it looks being stretched so much. It would be much appreciated!
Here are more pics of the set up 😊
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:31 AM   #48
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

looks quiet OK from the pics...I wish I had known this before that 275 for rear is also ok with OEM 22" staggered set up. I had to buy 315 Pirelli Scorpions for the rear with a lot of euros
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #49
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afjeld View Post
It's the OEM M742 Jet black 9,5x22"front and 10,5x22" rear on Pirelli Scorpions Winter 275/35-22" front and rear.
Thanks. Great looking car!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #50
Afjeld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Thanks. Great looking car!
Thanks! Really happy with my 45e 🤩
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #51
PittsburghG
PittsburghG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
'Best' is very conditional based. Deep snow and ice, or cold and slush, or just cold all would suggest a different class of winter tire. They are not all equal or up to the diverse task. In the USA, a tire rated for autobahn speeds isn't really needed, either, and that can dictate other things. Most any of the classes are good for up to about 100mph, though, which, in the USA should be fine. To protect rims and the tire's sidewalls, a taller sidewall is recommended by all tire manufacturers for winter use, so, generally, 22" rims wouldn't be recommended as the first choice even though you may prefer the look. Depends on how much you rate safety over looks.
I should have been more specific when I said "best". For reliable traction and protection of the rims it's always suggested to get smaller rims so I was looking at the 19" and 20" rims. I've read on a few threads that people have had issues with the brake calipers when they used the 19" rims so I was seeing if anyone had personal feedback on their rim/tire combo. I had both a 2013 and a 2015 X5 35D with the 20" rims on both, which back then as the upgrade. It it was a big deal back then that they were so "big" with the dealership recommending 18" rims at that time. That's why this is pretty confusing, and I want to make sure I get something that's reliable to drive with confidence even though it obviously doesn't look as good as the 22" rims. For the tires the options Tire Rack has are the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or Latitude Alpin LA2, Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 RFT, and the Pirelli Scorpion Winter or the Scorpion Ice & Snow. None of these have been rated by Tire Rack so they only have reviews for different vehicles so I was hoping someone has had one of these on their X5 to share your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #52
PittsburghG
PittsburghG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The X5 will be just as bad as the RRS with A/S tires.
I figured that would be the case, which is why I was going to get dedicated winter tires this time. With my prior X5's I would just replace the factory run flat tires with the Continental Extreme Contacts, and they worked ok for me. However, with the RRS the 22" rims came with the Continental Crosscontacts that were terrible. The RRS only had a few thousand miles on it, and while driving to work I slid right into a curb when going very slowly around a curve. The plaza where my office is located hadn't been plowed so the road had about 2" of snow on it, and those big A/S tires just couldn't handle it. Damaged my rim, and of course worried me about driving in the snow at all. Nothing like having a RR, and driving a VW to go skiing because the Rover was terrible in the snow due to the big tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #53
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I had the full size Supercharged with 22" and it came with the same tires. They were horrible in the dry and I immediately swapped them out. I wouldn't trust those in the winter and they're definitely a three season tire not an all-season.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #54
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Just a head's up to anyone still in the market... the 22" rears are out of stock in most places. The only way to find them is through certain dealers or at Porsche. I mentioned on here back in the middle of summer that there would be limited supply and I hope those who need took advantage. I suspect the wheel/tire winter combos in smaller sizes will be sold out soon so if you haven't purchased or cannot find the 22" in stock then start exploring options before you do not have any.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #55
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Unlike all-season tires that tend to be made throughout the year, most manufacturers switch between producing winter and summer tires, and they aren't produced all of the time. So, once winter is actually here and most people have already bought their winter tires, they start making summer ones for the next season...so, if they don't figure the right mix of sizes and quantities, it's not uncommon to run out of certain sizes. Because rubber gets harder as it ages, it's not good practice to have excess stuff sitting around, as if not sold in one season, they'd not be as effective the next, plus, warehousing tires until the next season just ties up money and profits, so not a great idea. IOW, get them early if you want a good selection and the freshest stock, and, look at the date codes...you don't want last year's stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 03:46 AM   #56
getanin
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 45e

so what's the deal with 22" tires? are we allowed to drive on them on winter or not?

I got few months ago X5 with 22" summer tires, and tried to get the tires for the winter. The local BMW dealer told me that I am not allowed to drive on 22" winter tire because those are not approved by BMW and I should buy the tires and rims that are smaller?!?!?!? what the is this? I never heard anything like this. I am afraid if I buy pirelli's scorpion that they will not admit the warranty if needed for any reason.
Appreciate 1
mopaman34.00
      11-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #57
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Nobody, don't care whether it's a car manufacturer, or tire manufacturer, suggests it's okay to use high performance summer tires when it gets COLD out, let alone have much of any traction. A summer, high-performance tire's rubber is designed to stay stable at high speeds in hot temperatures, so it tends to be a bit harder than a winter or all-season tire. Rubber gets harder as it both ages, and when the temperature drops. So, that makes a high-performance, summer tire with usually few sipes (those are what allows it to grip on the ice and snow) almost like driving on slicks...it is both dangerous, and, IMHO, foolish, to try to use them in the winter when there may be any ice or snow, and just being that cold, with the rubber now much stiffer, can cause them to literally crack. Because they can't conform to the road surface because they're so hard, your stopping and cornering will be compromised. Now, if you're really lucky, avoid any snow or ice or emergency stop, or hard acceleration, you MIGHT get by, but all it would take is once and if you're lucky, you just ruin your tires, but might have much more serious consequences. In some places, driving with summer tires in the winter would get your vehicle impounded and a heavy fine. Not that common in the US, though, but if you're involved in any accident, the lawyers will have a field day!

Everyone also suggests that for best winter performance that you select a smaller wheel and narrower tires which cut through snow better instead of floating, and the taller sidewalls help prevent wheel and tire damage should you hit something that was hidden by that snow. Going -1, -2, or maybe -3 in rim size, if it will fit, is a good choice.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      11-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #58
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by getanin View Post
so what's the deal with 22" tires? are we allowed to drive on them on winter or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Nobody ... suggests it's okay to use high performance summer tires when it gets COLD out, let alone have much of any traction ... So, that makes a high-performance, summer tire ... almost like driving on slicks...it is both dangerous, and, IMHO, foolish, to try to use them in the winter

if you're involved in any accident, the lawyers will have a field day!
Just like jad03060 said, the problem is Summer tires turn into hockey pucks below 40F/4C! Seriously, it'll be like driving on hockey pucks and that's BEFORE you get into ice/snow conditions ... JUST DON'T.

So when you say "allowed" it's less of a warranty issue (but that too) and more of a safety kill-yourself-and/or-others-and-legal-trouble issue.

Given you look to be in Croatia, I can't be sure about their laws, but many EU countries (e.g., Switzerland, Germany, Austria) have legislation saying you must have severe weather tires as marked with this symbol:

In Germany for example the rule of thumb is von O bis O meaning from October-Easter you must run severe weather tires in cold/snow/mountain weather regions ... and the penalties for not running winters can be severe too:

* Police see your car without severe weather tires, 40-80 euro ticket
* You spin out & cause traffic or inconvenience, 80+ euro ticket & points
* A one-car accident = the above & you lose insurance & can't rent!
* An accident with other cars: all of the above & they confiscate your vehicle

Not sure how much of this applies in Croatia, but probably some ... and I can tell you for a fact that in Germany, Austria, & Switzerland they police & border patrol WILL check your tires and they target large wheel / performance cars.

EDIT: a quick search turned up the rules for Croatia
Winter equipment
On major roads, winter equipment is mandatory between 15 November and 15 April, regardless of weather conditions.
All motor vehicles (weighing less than 3.5 t) must use winter tyres (M+S) on all wheels, or summer tyres with minimum tread depth of 4 mm + have snow chains in the vehicle, ready to use on powered wheels.
Buses and heavy goods vehicles must use snow chains on powered wheels or winter tyres (M+S).
On other roads, winter tyres (M+S) (or snow chains) are mandatory in winter conditions, when the road is covered with snow or ice.
Busses and heavy goods vehicles must carry snow chains or have winter tyres (M&S) fitted on powered wheels.
Studded tyres are not allowed.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      11-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #59
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

I was in this same situation and was debating just trying to drive when the temps are above 40 and so on.. I ended up buying a winter set. It's just not worth risking you're life or anybody else's because of a couple dollars ( couple thousand )
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      11-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #60
Jetrik
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by getanin View Post

I got few months ago X5 with 22" summer tires, and tried to get the tires for the winter. The local BMW dealer told me that I am not allowed to drive on 22" winter tire because those are not approved by BMW and I should buy the tires and rims that are smaller?!?!?!? what the is this? I never heard anything like this. I am afraid if I buy pirelli's scorpion that they will not admit the warranty if needed for any reason.
BMW installed my 22" Scorpions. Initially it sounded like they wouldn't do it, but I told them this is my only option. I did not want to buy a separate set of rims for this lease (although they could be sold later) so I opted to keep the look of the 22s for the winter. We'll see how it goes 😬
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 11:31 PM   #61
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
* An accident with other cars: all of the above & they confiscate your vehicle
Oooh man, thats lovely.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 12:48 AM   #62
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

From the year or so I lived in Germany, it's my observation that they are very serious about driving. The average American driver wouldn't pass their written or practical tests, as you need far more knowledge to pass than the 60%, 20-question, multiple choice in the state where I got mine. You need almost a perfect score, and it was hundreds of questions. No excuse that you weren't aware of the rules. The driving test is lots more complete, requiring demonstration of skills beyond what some Americans never achieve. THen, their vehicle inspection is much more complete than most any I've seen in the USA. For example, when I was there, they put the vehicle on a machine that measured the braking force on each wheel for total power and balance L-R and F-R, and they ran the vehicle across a calibrated bump to check the shock absorbers for function. It's probably more sophisticated today. This was decades ago.

My boss, driving a German vehicle, with German plates, got stopped one weekend for touching the center line twice while going around a curve and received two citations...they expect you to be in control of your vehicle at all times. Another had had a few too many and was sleeping in his vehicle, but he had the key in the ignition. By law in Germany (at least at the time...don't know what is done now with keyless ignition!) if the key is in the ignition, even with the vehicle off, you're technically driving. He lost his license for a year. IOW, they take driving very seriously as well as vehicle status.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #63
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G05xG30 View Post
I was in this same situation and was debating just trying to drive when the temps are above 40 and so on.. I ended up buying a winter set. It's just not worth risking you're life or anybody else's because of a couple dollars ( couple thousand )
Yeah, it's one thing if you're on the west coast out of the snow line where night temps might get down to 40 at the lowest and daytime temps are in 60s ...

In that scenario M+S tires aren't gonna do well (arguably even a bit dangerous!) and one is probably better off with "all weather" tires like Nokian WRs or all-season if you really wanna be a stickler ... personally in that scenario I'd skip it for sure in the US.

And it should noted in Europe, even in Germany, and even von O bis O, you can drive in, say, Munich all winter long w/o M+S ... you just can't go into the mountains or anywhere with ice, snow, or below 40 temps. I wouldn't try it in Zurich though.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #64
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G05xG30 View Post
Yeah, it's one thing if you're on the west coast out of the snow line where night temps might get down to 40 at the lowest and daytime temps are in 60s ...

In that scenario M+S tires aren't gonna do well (arguably even a bit dangerous!) and one is probably better off with "all weather" tires like Nokian WRs or all-season if you really wanna be a stickler ... personally in that scenario I'd skip it for sure in the US.

And it should noted in Europe, even in Germany, and even [COLOR="Blue"]von O bis O[/COLOR], you can drive in, say, Munich all winter long w/o M+S ... you just can't go into the mountains or anywhere with ice, snow, or below 40 temps. I wouldn't try it in Zurich though.
I'll say BS. I've driven M&S year round on my awd Rav4 for many years and they have held up well in all conditions. Never a problem getting through chain control in Tahoe and never a problem with 100 degrees in San Jose. Granted the fitment is not low profile like my 22 inch M50i has
GrussGott18113.00
      11-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #65
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Most winter tires are essentially useless as winter tires once the tread gets below a certain point. On Blizzaks, at least they used to literally have a different tread compound in layers, so that once they were worn a certain amount, they worked better as an all-season than a dedicated winter tire. What generally doesn't work well are dedicated high-performance summer tires when it gets cold out, which I think, was the original question. THose can be downright dangerous in the cold, whether there's snow or ice, just makes it even worse.

Yes, in the dry, the block sizes and sipes may not be able to provide the same ultimate cornering and grip or feel as a dedicated summer tire, and they may wear faster, but given those considerations, under many circumstances, they will work when it gets warmer out. I wouldn't want to take a high speed trip through Death Valley in the summer with winter tires, though!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      11-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #66
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Quote:

And it should noted in Europe, even in Germany, and even von O bis O, you can drive in, say, Munich all winter long w/o M+S ... you just can't go into the mountains or anywhere with ice, snow, or below 40 temps. I wouldn't try it in Zurich though.

I'm a little confused? I have winter tires for the winter. Why wouldn't they do well?
Appreciate 0