01-21-2021, 12:23 AM   #45
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseldusan View Post
It has been only one day below -20C here, so I cannot check it again. As I wrote before , It works correctly above -13C for me.
Btw, it shows this indicators ( bottom right corner ) . Unfortunatelly can't find it in online help.
I haven't seen that icon on my dash my guess would be battery too cold. Or if it is plugged in it might indicate battery heating but it would make sense to give it a red color.

Any other Scandinavians or Canadians seen this?

My car is not parked inside and it is not as cold as in your country anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:38 AM   #46
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
It has been only one day below -20C here, so I cannot check it again. As I wrote before , It works correctly above -13C for me.
Btw, it shows this indicators ( bottom right corner ) . Unfortunatelly can't find it in online help.
I had the same "cold battery" indicator at -28 C. Never seen the one that people think means "cold ICE", though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:23 AM   #47
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd View Post
The blue symbol is to let you know the petrol engine is still cold and won't go out until the engine has been run for a while
Interesting, did not know that.

I do believe as well that the battery is barely pre conditioned. The interior heating works fine, but if I leave i van see my initial consumption is higher and the further i get it seems to drop as the battery heats up.

In any case, preconditioning in my car starts 15 min before and stops 15min after the scheduled departure time.
I know this because it means I cant be more than 10 min early or 15 min late in the morning to benefit fully from this otherwise amazing comfort feature
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:55 AM   #48
Thanos7
Thanos7
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaddict View Post
Hi All:

For those who are driving there 45e's in colder climates, what is the range you are getting in EV only mode on 45e ?

Just wanted to check and see if it will work for me, since where I live we have temp hitting -15 to -20 for 2 months at least.

TIA!
Hi,
In Greece in 0-5 I saw today 91 kilometers range with 100% battery charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #49
Bimmelim
Rep

I managed approx 80km, in 0 degrees, but i keep A/C off, still running 21 degrees inside, but the a/C button switched off. It was really bad conditions, with icy and snowy roads, so i was pleased with the result, speeds was 50-80km/h which is the speed limit in my part of Norway.
I noticed on my Tesla X, that when i switched of A/C i have 10-15% better range.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #50
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos7 View Post
Hi,
In Greece in 0-5 I saw today 91 kilometers range with 100% battery charge.
You mean you were able to drive 91 km on battery - or that the car claimed you could do that? Those seem to be two different things on my 45e..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #51
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I drove 2 x 25 km today and 5 km of range left.

AC 20 degrees, outside 0 degrees. Pre heated 10 minutes before leaving. 50-70 km/h roads.

We did a 2 hour hike. I think this makes a different because the car cools off in this period and needs to heat up again. The range will probably be better if the trip is done without stop.

In the summer I can easily get 70-80 km on a charge for the same trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #52
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Your worst EV mileage will be a string of short trips where the cabin can need max HVAC each time you start up for the next leg. Lots of watts being consumed while not moving! Unlike an ICE where there's lots of waste heat, that isn't the primary heat in the X5 45e.

It's best if you can leave after setting a departure time. That way, the batteries can be warmed as well as the cabin while plugged into the EVSE. Warmer batteries are able to source more power as the electrons can move more freely when the battery is warm.

Preheating the cabin, depending on the EVSE you have, might not be able to keep the battery fully charged, as, especially in the US if you're using the supplied 10A device, that might not be enough to keep the battery fully charged while warming or cooling the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #53
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I found this info

When the temperature of the HV battery is too low it loses power and can even loose all electric power.

It doesn't mention anything about preconditioning the battery to solve this. Really strange I though the battery would precondition but I can't find any info about it. Guess it is not true.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #54
Thanos7
Thanos7
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
You mean you were able to drive 91 km on battery - or that the car claimed you could do that? Those seem to be two different things on my 45e..
The car showed this range after 100% charging
Appreciate 1
biterror511.00
      01-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #55
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

At temperatures of 15-25F, I've been able to achieve low 30's miles on a charge, and if I precondition, a few more. So far, the largest range the computer has indicated was about 42-miles after a charge. I expect come summer when I've taken off the winter tires and it's warmer, that I may regularly see low forties, and maybe an occasional 50-miles on my US issued X5 45e. That will have to wait, as we're in the middle of winter now, and I didn't have it during last summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:02 PM   #56
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

If i don't have the AC on, I get about 37-38. With the AC on I get about 31. Its been between 1 - 8 celsius.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #57
colox5
colo45e
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e (2021)

When you all are quoting the mileage you are getting, are you including charging while driving? I live in a very mountainous area and I've been getting some stellar electric mileage when I've got lots of downhills. Last weekend, driving back from Vail in Colorado, it was about a 100 mile trip and I was able to do almost 50 of those miles on electric, in large part thanks to all the charging happening while going down hill.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #58
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I've not taken any significant trips, so out and back, so any uphill will be offset by downhill. Regen will never totally offset the extra energy required to go up, though. It really depends on how well you hold a speed once you get there, how fast your go (drag goes up non-linearly with speed), and how cold it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:56 PM   #59
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colox5 View Post
When you all are quoting the mileage you are getting, are you including charging while driving? I live in a very mountainous area and I've been getting some stellar electric mileage when I've got lots of downhills. Last weekend, driving back from Vail in Colorado, it was about a 100 mile trip and I was able to do almost 50 of those miles on electric, in large part thanks to all the charging happening while going down hill.
I have had some really long range when driving in the Alps. We where up in the hill. It was a 30 km descent.

The gain of range is by regenerative braking but also because the miles driven downhill the ICE is off so they are registered as electric miles driven but they don't use any electricity.

The inverse happens when driving up hill off course.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 05:02 PM   #60
Jrg3170
Private
Rep

Just catching up on this thread, great info in here. After reading everything a few questions:

1) I want to say I read somewhere once that it's best to leave EVs/PHEVs plugged in anytime the temp drops below freezing. But I haven't seen anything definitive... thoughts?

2) Inconclusive on whether the 45e has a heating element for the battery? Is there a way in iDrive to see kwh usage by type (e.g. driving, HVAC, battery conditioning)?

3) I have a BEV (Chevy Bolt) that I "trick" into pre-conditioning the battery in the winter by always leaving it on departure mode, which works a bit differently than the 45e in that I can set it to achieve 100% SOC by a precise time. The 45e only lets me specify a time range and then a pre-conditioning departure time. Is the computer smart enough to incorporate outside temp into its calculation of when to charge within the specified window?

Or, is there a way that I can specify a precise "stop charging by X time"?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 06:02 PM   #61
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrg3170 View Post
Just catching up on this thread, great info in here. After reading everything a few questions:

1) I want to say I read somewhere once that it's best to leave EVs/PHEVs plugged in anytime the temp drops below freezing. But I haven't seen anything definitive... thoughts?

2) Inconclusive on whether the 45e has a heating element for the battery? Is there a way in iDrive to see kwh usage by type (e.g. driving, HVAC, battery conditioning)?

3) I have a BEV (Chevy Bolt) that I "trick" into pre-conditioning the battery in the winter by always leaving it on departure mode, which works a bit differently than the 45e in that I can set it to achieve 100% SOC by a precise time. The 45e only lets me specify a time range and then a pre-conditioning departure time. Is the computer smart enough to incorporate outside temp into its calculation of when to charge within the specified window?

1. I don't think charging the battery at cold is an issue. The speed of charging at cold become slow, that is the issue I have seen in BEV, espeically for fast DC charging. 45e's charge rate is slow to begin with, I don't think it matters much. Maybe others can chime in.

2. I don't think there is a mechanism in 45e to warm up the battery.

3. 45e precondition is for the cabin. it doesn't have precondition capability for battery. Charging is slow at 3.8kW only. Battery precondition is really for DC charging when you want to pull 150kW kind of speed. I don't see any setting to specific SOC target vs exterior temp either. And there is no way to set the charging to reach specific SOC at specific time. You can only set the car to charge at specific time window.
      10-28-2022, 06:09 PM   #62
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrg3170 View Post

1) plugging in relative to freezing temps is only a consideration if the HV battery is empty or nearly empty. letting it cold soak when that low could lead to damage, so it's best to keep it charged. if it's fully charged and the temps dip below freezing, one doesn't have to plug it in just because of the low temps, but an advantage to doing so is allowing it to replenish its capacity while preconditioning the cabin, so the full battery you have will be utilized towards electric range and not power-wasted on getting a cold cabin heated up to your desired comfort level.

2a) no external heating element for 45e HV battery.
2b) in iDrive, you'll see some efficiency numbers but no individual breakdown of how much individual components consumed

3) you can't precondition the HV battery. there isn't a setting to guarantee a full charge by a certain time, and it's not programmed to charge relative to outside temps. you can either set it to charge immediately or within low rate times (ToU) but know that if it calculates it won't fully charge within that time period, it will charge outside of the ToU window when the rates are higher
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 06:28 PM   #63
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

On my i3, if it was cold out when I plugged it in with a nearly discharged battery, even if there was a time slot set, it would start to charge the battery to prevent damage to it. Once it had built up some charge, it would then pause and wait for the specified time slot.

To maximize the vehicle's capabilities, when it's cold out, you could put in a time slot for charging since the act of charging will warm the battery. But, drawing power from it warms it too, so preconditioning might do almost as much as it conditions the cabin. The i3 had a 1Kw electric heater in the battery compartment, and depending on the ambient conditions, I saw a up to a 20A/240V draw from my EVSE. The X5 doesn't have an electric heater (it would need four of them as there are four battery cases), so the only thing it can do is cool them if they get too hot.
Appreciate 0