BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #45
BimmerBoo01
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCwell3er View Post
Awe man...did you disconnect the battery? I'm not sure about getting a replacement.
I was thinking about it but read that disconnecting the battery is only necessary for the knob. I should have just done it. At this point, what should I do? Do you know where I can get a replacement controller dial? Or do I need to replace the center unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #46
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoo01 View Post
Quote:
Awe man...did you disconnect the battery? I'm not sure about getting a replacement.
I was thinking about it but read that disconnecting the battery is only necessary for the knob. I should have just done it. At this point, what should I do? Do you know where I can get a replacement controller dial? Or do I need to replace the center unit?
You're going to have to eBay it, check with a dismantler (like car-part.com), or go with a factory/oem new replacement.

The iDrive controller snaps into the center console and has a dedicated connector, so you're good there. The rest of the center console should be fine (but note they all share one connection - ie shifter and all buttons).

Removal is easy. Move front seats all the way back. *Disco the batteries!* pull off two side carpeted panels. There are two or three star/hex screws on each side. Once removed, use a soft tool to gently pry up the entire center console, it's one big piece including wood trim. Disconnect two light bars, the center connector, and then the iDrive connector. From there you have a few screws for iDrive and then pop it out.
      12-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #47
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You're going to have to eBay it, check with a dismantler (like car-part.com), or go with a factory/oem new replacement.

The iDrive controller snaps into the center console and has a dedicated connector, so you're good there. The rest of the center console should be fine (but note they all share one connection - ie shifter and all buttons).

Removal is easy. Move front seats all the way back. *Disco the batteries!* pull off two side carpeted panels. There are two or three star/hex screws on each side. Once removed, use a soft tool to gently pry up the entire center console, it's one big piece including wood trim. Disconnect two light bars, the center connector, and then the iDrive connector. From there you have a few screws for iDrive and then pop it out.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow. I really wish there was an undo button in life. Before I do the eBay route, do you think I can get away with it if I put everything back the way it was and bring it to the dealership to say it's not working?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #48
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow. I really wish there was an undo button in life. Before I do the eBay route, do you think I can get away with it if I put everything back the way it was and bring it to the dealership to say it's not working?
I think you're better off dealing with the issue and buying a replacement controller. Most likely the car has logged errors from the controller going on and offline or generating errors, and if they look at it and see you've touched it, you're SOL. Gone are the days of "this wire goes here and does this." The vehicle has multiple networks, everything is a module and has logging.

Similar to my situation of not unplugging the battery, you have to pay to play, even when it sucks. Better to fix it and learn the lesson, that's the best route to go.
      12-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #49
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you're better off dealing with the issue and buying a replacement controller. Most likely the car has logged errors from the controller going on and offline or generating errors, and if they look at it and see you've touched it, you're SOL. Gone are the days of "this wire goes here and does this." The vehicle has multiple networks, everything is a module and has logging.

Similar to my situation of not unplugging the battery, you have to pay to play, even when it sucks. Better to fix it and learn the lesson, that's the best route to go.
Thank you. I think I found a good priced unit on eBay. I'll be ordering it and attempt to install it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #50
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you. I think I found a good priced unit on eBay. I'll be ordering it and attempt to install it myself.
Good luck!
      12-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #51
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Be sure to let us know how it goes. Good luck!
      01-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #52
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Be sure to let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Thanks all for your help so far. just to provide an update, I got the parts I needed and was able to cut power from my car, Timmahh was helpful in the process so far. However, I am stuck on how to disconnect the powercable from the idrive controller. I may be overlooking something simple but I'm having a hell of a time trying to unplug this connector:

I tried squeezing it from the sides and the front, even tried using pliers but it wouldn't budge, i didn't want to use too much force.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #53
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thankfully I was able to get the crystal setup direct from factory on my upcoming build. Nonetheless, very happy you posted this cause I was feeling a little iffy about the crystal look.

I intend to keep my lights on blue and seeing how nice that looks really helped concrete my choice!

Cheers!
      01-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #54
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Replaced the center console

Quote:
Hello,
I tried to install the itouch glass replacement and had a bad outcome. I disconnected the cable, replaced it with the glass (per the video instructions), reconnected the cable and and everything was working escept the LEDs. I figured I had to tighten the connections so I disconnected the knob and tried to reseat the ribbon but was surprised with some smoke. The controller board for the touch pad I think is fried now. Anyone know if I can get a replacement unit for the controller board?

Wife is not happy
Hi all,
I wanted to provide an update. I was able to remove the unit and replace the idrive controller but I was unable to get power to the idrive despite having to replace the unit. I ended up just buying the complte OEM crystal unit and installed it. However, I'm still not getting the idrive controller to power. Addtionally, it looks like my light bars are not lit either. Do you guys think its the fuse? I'm not sure where to start looking after this. The shift and left side of the controls work, however. The iDrive and lightbars are not powered:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to avoid bringing it to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #55
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Installed!!!

Quote:
Hi all,
I wanted to provide an update. I was able to remove the unit and replace the idrive controller but I was unable to get power to the idrive despite having to replace the unit. I ended up just buying the complte OEM crystal unit and installed it. However, I'm still not getting the idrive controller to power. Addtionally, it looks like my light bars are not lit either. Do you guys think its the fuse? I'm not sure where to start looking after this. The shift and left side of the controls work, however. The iDrive and lightbars are not powered:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to avoid bringing it to the dealership.
Finally, I figured it out. After the issues with the idrive, I installed an OEM crystal console. It was a the fuse #262 which was shared with the light bars, idrive controller and idrive media switches. Thanks everyone for all of your help & Timmahh for checking in with the progress.

She's happy:

Appreciate 2
      01-03-2021, 10:58 PM   #56
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

[QUOTE=BimmerBoo01;27080679]Finally, I figured it out. After the issues with the idrive, I installed an OEM crystal console. It was a the fuse #262 which was shared with the light bars, idrive controller and idrive media switches. Thanks everyone for all of your help & Timmahh for checking in with the progress.

Great job, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am going to do the same on my BMW soon. I was just wondering if your iDrive controller knob would have the same backlit as the attached picture.
Name:  Picture 1.PNG
Views: 1230
Size:  317.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 11:45 PM   #57
BimmerBoo01
Rep

[QUOTE=Maximus2002;27080899]
Quote:
Finally, I figured it out. After the issues with the idrive, I installed an OEM crystal console. It was a the fuse #262 which was shared with the light bars, idrive controller and idrive media switches. Thanks everyone for all of your help & Timmahh for checking in with the progress.

Great job, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am going to do the same on my BMW soon. I was just wondering if your iDrive controller knob would have the same backlit as the attached picture.
Attachment 2497058
Unfortunately no. I was thinking it had to be coded but I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #58
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
Attachment 2497058
The one I purchased from Car-Analysis has the lights like in your picture. No additional coding needed.
      01-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #59
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The one I purchased from Car-Analysis has the lights like in your picture. No additional coding needed.
Thank you
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #60
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you
Did you already purchase your set from car analysis?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #61
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not yet, hopefully in a few weeks, waiting for my bonus pay. All the crystal knobs, speaker upgrades (for the second time), and installing an 8 channel amplifier are on my to do list. I will post an update once I have them all on my X5.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #62
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I damaged the silver knurled volume trim attempting to install the crystal button on my new US-spec 45e. it just won't come off!

I found a great deal on a EU-spec crafted crystal radio control unit but where mine has the BAND button, the replacement unit has the figure of a guy on the phone. if I install this in my US-spec vehicle, will that button function the same as my BAND button? maybe I can just remove and replace the whole volume knob assembly instead?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #63
Brianvm85
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i CB Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I damaged the silver knurled volume trim attempting to install the crystal button on my new US-spec 45e. it just won't come off!

I found a great deal on a EU-spec crafted crystal radio control unit but where mine has the MODE button, the replacement unit has the figure of a guy on the phone. if I install this in my US-spec vehicle, will that button function the same as my MODE button? maybe I can just remove and replace the whole volume knob assembly instead?
How much and where did you get it from? I'm in the same boat. Screwed up my knob trim trying to take it off. The car analysis video made it look so easy lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:55 AM   #64
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not yet, hopefully in a few weeks, waiting for my bonus pay. All the crystal knobs, speaker upgrades (for the second time), and installing an 8 channel amplifier are on my to do list. I will post an update once I have them all on my X5.
I have the crystal knob if you're interested. I didn't install it because I ended up just buying an oem center console and instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #65
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
this crystal button "fix" cost me a lot more than it should've in the end. it should've been included with the rest of the factory installed crystal components that came with the Executive package, but now the set is complete!

FYI: BRAND NEW crystal series volume button for sale
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post27101250
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-09-2021 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #66
BimmerBoo01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
this crystal button "fix" cost me a lot more than it should've in the end. it should've been included with the rest of the factory installed crystal components that came with the Executive package, but now the set is complete!

FYI: BRAND NEW crystal series volume button for sale
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post27101250
Wow, looks great! Do you have an OEM crystal console or is it the aftermarket one?
Appreciate 0