BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

i-step 07/2020.25 - new features including Traffic Light Assistant

OK I know we have a few of these threads, but I wanted to do a quick review of the changes I've noticed in the UK.

I only got the upgrade today and have only driven a few miles but I noticed a few things.

At stock configuration:
- menu's changed for CarPlay and Android Auto - you can set a favourite key to take you to the main CarPlay/AA menu
- Apple Maps display in the HUD instead of iDrive when running. Google maps did not. Not tried any others yet.
- No Digital Key 1.5
- Couldn't spot any differences with cloud navigation as yet - maybe need some more miles on the clock
- No other assist feature changes

I coded a few things:
- Traffic Light Assistant is working and its really cool. Spots the camera at red/green 150 yards away and decreases the count as you approach. The graphic is displayed in the CiC and HUD. I haven't been able to test if it fully stops as yet as there was just too much traffic as I wasnt the lead car.

Note: this feature has been pushed back to 11/2020 i-step so I was surprised it worked.

- Digital key 1.5 - so close but its not working. The car thinks I have the feature but moans about connected drive needing to be updated. It also broke my Comfort Access temporarily. Looks like there is a migration process that needs to happen with the digital keys and I couldn't get the CD app to update. I'll have another go when I have more time.

- The car appeared to slow for raised manhole covers during road works. Well it definitely did slow and steered around them. I need to check on that to confirm it wasn't a fluke. This could be part of Urban Cruise Control, which I activated.

- There are some new features that look specific to motorway driving. I've attached some screenshots. They look interesting. Well, except for the no undertaking one

There's some bugs as well, but again I need more time to confirm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 14
      07-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
- Digital key 1.5 - so close but its not working. The car thinks I have the feature but moans about connected drive needing to be updated. It also broke my Comfort Access temporarily. Looks like there is a migration process that needs to happen with the digital keys and I couldn't get the CD app to update. I'll have another go when I have more time.
So with I-step/I-level update you are able to see the new Digital Key 1.5 menu? That sounds promising.
From here https://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thr...vareaid=104340
It says that Digital Key 1.0 displays menu as "activate digital key" and Digital Key 1.5 displays menu as "activate main/primary key"
It also says the key card should still work regardless.

Did you have Digital Key 1.0 Galaxy phone activated before? Does the key card still work?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by havenyoung View Post
Quote:
So with I-step/I-level update you are able to see the new Digital Key 1.5 menu? That sounds promising.
From here https://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thr...vareaid=104340
It says that Digital Key 1.0 displays menu as "activate digital key" and Digital Key 1.5 displays menu as "activate main/primary key"
It also says the key card should still work regardless.

Did you have Digital Key 1.0 Galaxy phone activated before? Does the key card still work?
Yes that was the menu it displayed. When I chose it it flashed a warning about needing to activate it in connected drive. I'll recode at some point and photo it.

It also listed the digital key alongside the Activate option. Since I coded back there is no menu for digital key at all, card has gone. Never used the card after activating it so no loss there. Also,have never had an android device.

Suspect if I let it 'sit' something might happen at the backend but if there is a vin build date check we are out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes that was the menu it displayed. When I chose it it flashed a warning about needing to activate it in connected drive. I'll recode at some point and photo it.

It also listed the digital key alongside the Activate option. Since I coded back there is no menu for digital key at all, card has gone. Never used the card after activating it so no loss there. Also,have never had an android device.

Suspect if I let it 'sit' something might happen at the backend but if there is a vin build date check we are out of luck.
Yeah I think it might need to be switched on at the ConnectedDrive backend. Look out for your ConnectedDrive page and see if any new service are added.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      07-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
OK I know we have a few of these threads, but I wanted to do a quick review of the changes I've noticed in the UK.

I only got the upgrade today and have only driven a few miles but I noticed a few things.

At stock configuration:
- menu's changed for CarPlay and Android Auto - you can set a favourite key to take you to the main CarPlay/AA menu
- Apple Maps display in the HUD instead of iDrive when running. Google maps did not. Not tried any others yet.
- No Digital Key 1.5
- Couldn't spot any differences with cloud navigation as yet - maybe need some more miles on the clock

I coded a few things:
- Traffic Light Assistant is working and its really cool. Spots the camera at red/green 150 yards away and decreases the count as you approach. The graphic is displayed in the CiC and HUD. I haven't been able to test if it fully stops as yet as there was just too much traffic as I wasnt the lead car.

Note: this feature has been pushed back to 11/2020 i-step so I was surprised it worked.

- The car appeared to slow for raised manhole covers during road works. Well it definitely did slow and steered around them. I need to check on that to confirm it wasn't a fluke. This could be part of Urban Cruise Control, which I activated.

- There are some new features that look specific to motorway driving. I've attached some screenshots. They look interesting. Well, except for the no undertaking one

How did you get the update? Was it done at the dealer in the UK? And is driving assistant now part of the updated or coded?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Quote:

At stock configuration:
- No Digital Key 1.5

I coded a few things:

How did you get the update? Was it done at the dealer in the UK? And is driving assistant now part of the updated or coded?
I got it done at the dealer, they got it in yesterday.

All the drive assist features are coded unfortunately. Some will be available on 07/2020 build date cars, but the traffic light assistant (which is ace), won't activate except on 11/2020 build cars and later, unless BMW decide to retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

At stock configuration:
- No Digital Key 1.5

I coded a few things:

I got it done at the dealer, they got it in yesterday.

All the drive assist features are coded unfortunately. Some will be available on 07/2020 build date cars, but the traffic light assistant (which is ace), won't activate except on 11/2020 build cars and later, unless BMW decide to retrofit.
How do I code the traffic light feature?

Any other features as well that can be coded as it relates to the self driving

I'm going in for the update next week, and have launcher pro just waiting to take a crack at it
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
jeet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Hi ifr,

Please can you share the codes for the following:
Traffic light
Distance control
Emergency corridor assist

Thank You
Jeet
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:53 PM   #9
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The issue with providing codes currently, is the same issue as I'm having with the digital key. 07/2020 is so new and has much new stuff, that the psdzdata is not fully mapped.

I know there are multiple codes that are trimmed, some of which impact DK and break comfort access.

TLA should be straightforward enough, but again there are trimmed codes that I am using so cant release. Once esysx is updated to support the new i-step I'll be able to publish, and also continue the investigation into DK without breaking my Comfort Access and requiring a full car recode each time

new esysx should be available in the next couple of weeks.

LP - I suspect you will be out of luck, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:21 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok lots to report on the new features.

The good:
- TLA is really good. It presents a red light 150 yards out, which you have to accept using the same button as used for the manual Speed Limit Assistant. It puts a tick and if the light stays Red then it slows to a complete stop. Once it changes to Green it resumes from stop/start and prompts to set off manually.
If you are closer to the light and it changes to amber (UK) and then Red, it stops automatically without having to accept.

- BIG news! On the motorway when idrive nav is running, it now presents an option to leave the motorway at your exit. Again, you have to press Set button to accept. I'm not 100%on the process as I only tried it once. I think it auto moves you off but you may have to engage the indicators manually. I'll post more when I know more. When I accepted the the option to exit the motorway, but didn't do anything else, the wheel shook, it beeped and it displayed a message saying to 'manually exit the motorway', so I did something wrong.
There are also new graphics in HUD for navigation lane positioning

- Lane management is rock solid - best yet

- Apple maps works fine in HUD, but doesn't integrate with the autonomous driving, so it's back i-drive nav and CarPlay TomTom for me. Best of both worlds

The not-so-good:
- There is now a Driver Attention Camera alert if you hold the wheel at 12 o'clock briefly, or otherwise block the DCS. Its functionally correct but annoying. Will look to code that off
- the ECE Steering Wheel Assistant (Cat C) for auto Lane Change is even slower than before. I'm coding it back to US version. I recommend anyone who is struggling with slow lane changes to do this whatever i-step you are on (post 07/2019).
- the adjust speed to route, which I do not understand how is different to aSLA, auto changed my speed from 30mph to 90 mph once this morning! No idea why. The max speed limit in the UK is 70 so its a puzzler.

All in all with these new changes, I reckon the BMW Gxx is the most advanced semi-autonomous car available??
Appreciate 10
TSMC55125.00
VTENGR1043.50
hkleyman135.00
eagle_bmw182.50
thereef5101163.00
volodp193.50
-cj-197.00
      07-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

@ifr - Thank you for your contributions to this board!
Appreciate 3
ifr1196.50
hkleyman135.00
      07-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Some more updates.

TLA - love it. It only seems to need you to acknowledge the light in complex setups e.g. where there are multiple lights changing at different times. In simpler stop or go for all lanes scenarios it seems to stop automatically without driver input.
One scenario today - following a truck, the light was acknowledged and the truck went through at amber. The HUD displayed amber then red. i was a few metres from a the light, and the whole car lit up with flashing red lights and beeps, plus a very large red traffic light flashing. The car came to an abrupt but complete stop. Sweet.

Exit assistant - not as automated as I had hoped but its getting there. It doesn't require driver input to acknowledge the exit manoeuvre in CiC/HUD. It prompts for the driver to indicate and change lanes using the auto lane change assistant. A message says something like "Trigger lane change, beware of traffic". Same for leaving the motorway. It does something with the wheel that I haven't seen before. It moves it left, then right, then left and right again really quick. Definitely gets your attention. It'll be useful for when the kids are watching youtube or plex on the main screen and I forget to come off at a junction.

Digital Key - needs cloud/CD provisioning. Whereas the dealers could add the 1.0 key for android devices, thats no longer an option. While everything is technically ready hardware wise, seems there is a technical conflict with android devices, so if they retrofit 1.5 comms protocol then that would break the existing android capability. Trying to deal with it on an ad-hoc basis would be a mare to manage so I wouldn't count on it being retrofitted anytime soon. Best I can tell the ball is in Google's court, and it's up to them to support the standards used in Digital Key 1.5.
If they do eventually support it, then in theory all cars could switch to 1.5 in coding and BMW can add the support to our cars in CD and consequently the app.
Appreciate 6
      07-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #13
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

At stock configuration:
- No Digital Key 1.5

I coded a few things:

What model year is your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #14
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichione View Post
What model year is your vehicle?
MY19
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #15
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

thank you ifr - appreciate you sharing your experience. Looking forward to you sharing the code for TLA. I am finally going to take a plunge in coding starting with assisted driving and then keen to have TLA.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thank you ifr - appreciate you sharing your experience. Looking forward to you sharing the code for TLA. I am finally going to take a plunge in coding starting with assisted driving and then keen to have TLA.
In theory it should be easier with a UK car as your coding will be the same as mine.

Do you have auto lane change?

What do you mean by assisted driving?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #17
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In theory it should be easier with a UK car as your coding will be the same as mine.

Do you have auto lane change?

What do you mean by assisted driving?
I meant Assisted Driving Mode - where you can see the car around you in the dash and hoping on the HUD.

No I don't have auto lane change and that is something I would like to code as well. i already have code for that.

I am trying to find all the coding across the site but there are so many threads and some pretty old and don't know if the coding had since changed. Can someone please help me with the followings codes:

1. Adaptive driving by default
2. Auto Lane Change
3. Lower suspension by default when parked

I have ODBLink MX but a Wifi version and hoping I can code all these in one go.

Also is there a way to take full backup of current default code before I change anything via Bimmercode incase I ever need it?

Last edited by AshD; 07-18-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #18
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I meant Assisted Driving Mode - where you can see the car around you in the dash and hoping on the HUD.

No I don't have auto lane change and that is something I would like to code as well. i already have code for that.

I am trying to find all the coding across the site but there are so many threads and some pretty old and don't know if the coding had since changed. Can someone please help me with the followings codes:

2. Auto Lane Change

Also is there a way to take full backup of current default code before I change anything via Bimmercode incase I ever need it?
I don't use BC so can't be sure which ECU you can code in Expert mode.

1 Adaptive driving is BDC
2. auto lane change is BDC, HU_MGU and SASx
3 Not sure ive seen this coding, at least not that has worked?

I don't think you can code SAS but Im sure BC users can confirm. That would rule out auto lane change

ADV is DKOMBI which should work

You won't be able to code TLA with BC at least not initially, if ever.
Appreciate 1
AshD98.50
      07-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

2. Auto Lane Change

I don't think you can code SAS but Im sure BC users can confirm. That would rule out auto lane change

Expert mode is available for BDC and HU but not SASx
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      07-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #20
saintsinc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Quote:
Quote:

2. Auto Lane Change

Expert mode is available for BDC and HU but not SASx
Just updated to 07/2020.25. Nothing much changes, new update comes with Android Auto and Automatic Window.
Traffic Lights Assistances and other drive feathers are not available yet.
Apple Car Key is not available yet
Appreciate 2
Xeno313.00
thereef5101163.00
      07-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #21
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinc View Post
Just updated to 07/2020.25. Nothing much changes, new update comes with Android Auto and Automatic Window.
did you get an option to add a climate rule for the heated steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #22
saintsinc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinc View Post
did you get an option to add a climate rule for the heated steering wheel?
Not sure what is this, still trying to figure out what's new in this update
Appreciate 0