BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-06-2020, 06:02 AM   #1
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

Headlight - LED vs Laser - styling preference

I have an order scheduled and I am debating the laser headlights, which for my 45e would force me to get the executive package, whihc I am not a fan of.

But everybody is raving about the laser light, and the US regulation may actually allow them to perform as intended pretty soon as I read there is a rule submitted as of last month from NHTSA.

I personally think the LED headlight look beter because they have more black in them, while the laser headlight have tons of chrome trims on them, whihc I am not a fan. I don't like the glass controls and I think the "skylounge" led moonroof is really useless.

My X5 will be arctic grey m-sport with all the other options except 'executive package'

what do you guy think of the purely cosmetic of the headlights ? who agrees with me that it looks beter
when the assembly is as blacked out as possible ?

I also worry about future reliabliity of laser, I plan to keep my car for a very long time 6+ years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

I recently ordered mine and had the same thoughts in mind. I liked the Laser, but then I disliked almost everything that came in the Exec package. However, I chose Laser because I thought it looked cool, and plus I am planning to code it to anti Dazzle bringing it up to what/how it is in Europe.
Have never coded before, and this is my first BMW, but found tons of good references on youtube.
My order is X5 Xrdive40i Executive Package + all the main major options.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
I do feel the blue highlights make it a look a little weird. At least on my ordered car, it will match the brake calipers. But that's certainly my least liked part of the lights.

But, I absolutely wanted to get the laserlight, if only to say I have it. In suburban NJ, I don't really ever drive in areas that will really benefit from them anyway, let alone even normal high beams. Since BMW is not allowing you to choose as many individual options, you are correct, that if you want certain features in the package, you will end up getting things you may not want or need.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

these packages are just so frustrating.

I really wish for BMW to let the customer decide which option they want!

Is that so unreasonable... :S
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
these packages are just so frustrating.

I really wish for BMW to let the customer decide which option they want!

Is that so unreasonable... :S
Ja, it's sucks that it's only available with Executive for MY21.

Early MY20, Laser was available as a separate option or with Executive. I'm happy with Premium + Laser (MY20 - prod late Nov) just for the looks and color matching exterior and brakes, LOL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

The one I ordered is Phytonic blue metallic too. Looks awesome, and true, the laser light blue matches. I think $$ well spent
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

I jsut feel it look more sinister, in a good way, with the LED dark headlight... at least in the arctic grey.

agreed with phytonic blue, it works.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

If you like the look of the LED lights better, go for them. In the other Laser vs. LED threads, the owners with LEDs seem happy with their performance. Since you don't want the other items in the executive package you can save the money.
Appreciate 1
philooo81.50
      11-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

interesting video comparing the laserlight with other tech in other cars.. wonder why laser seems to be so underwhelming..

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #10
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
interesting video comparing the laserlight with other tech in other cars.. wonder why laser seems to be so underwhelming..
Because customers pay for buzzwords like "adaptive", "matrix", "LED", "intelligent", "blue elements" and "laser" but they don't actually care whether the headlights put out any light? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
Bigface
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 e40

Have laser light on my m340, cannot tell the improvement from LED...

So opt in LED instead on my wife's X5 instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

I also prefer the darker LED housing to the flashier laser housing. Only wish the LEDs retained the "eyebrow" turn signal as seen in the laser lights (and even the G20 LEDs).
      11-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
I also prefer the darker LED housing to the flashier laser housing. Only wish the LEDs retained the "eyebrow" turn signal as seen in the laser lights (and even the G20 LEDs).
purely cosmetic view, laser light looks better.. IMO
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #14
solomonshv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6

Garage List
i was debating about this myself for my X6. i don't care much for the looks of the laser lights, i was mainly looking at the cornering lights. i had cornering lights on my 2018 540, and honestly they didn't do a god damn thing, even in the backwoods of PA. i test drove an X5 with laser lights in PA in the dark, and came to the conclusion that it makes no difference. i think there are better ways to use the money it costs to upgrade from premium to the exec package

i would not even consider the exec package unless you already checked all the other boxes and had an extra couple of thousand burning a hole in your pocket. my x6 came out to $84,000, i got everything exept the exec package because i felt that all the other options actually served a purpose.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #15
devianttofu
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I placed an order for 45e about two weeks ago, also struggled with getting laser or not (exec package vs premium). I ended up getting the laser partly because the IIHS gave a poor rating for the LED but a good rating for the laser (https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...-door-suv/2021).

My understanding is that since the LED version only has two projectors instead of four, the per projector output is higher, and therefore generate more glare.

Another reason is that I like the full eyebrow turn signal

I didn't want the crystal stuff but no choice there.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #16
devianttofu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
I recently ordered mine and had the same thoughts in mind. I liked the Laser, but then I disliked almost everything that came in the Exec package. However, I chose Laser because I thought it looked cool, and plus I am planning to code it to anti Dazzle bringing it up to what/how it is in Europe.
Have never coded before, and this is my first BMW, but found tons of good references on youtube.
My order is X5 Xrdive40i Executive Package + all the main major options.
Is coding for anti dazzle available for '21 X5 now?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #17
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Note that, I can be wrong but I saw here on the forum that inside of the LED light only one bulb is actually working (second one is just a dummy) when both bulbs are working in Laser light, looks a bit awkward in the evening/night.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #18
fdog805
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50i, 2024 M4 Comp

I custom ordered a new 40i M Sport that’s coming in a couple weeks with just the standard led. I liked the look and of the laser better, but I would have had to get the Executive package. The other stuff in the Executive package is useless to me and to me and the wife the glass knobs look tacky. So couldn’t swallow paying what would have been another $2300 just for the laser lights along with personal minus of crystal.

Would have gladly paid $1000 or so just for laser like was an option in 2020. Since I couldn’t for my 21 I put that money toward Merino instead. Probably all for the best as I drive the least at night anyway and that soft leather should feel good all day or night 😄
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #19
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

While I can appreciate that people obsess over how a vehicle looks, I really care far more on how it functions. You cannot see the headlights whether blacked out, blue, yellow, etc. from the front while driving...pick one that works best for you. If enabled to give the full design functionality, the laser headlights are better. With the full adaptability, when in auto, the high beams work far more than with a normal system as the beam shape changes, moves, retracts, and splits around vehicles ahead. As currently implemented in the US, they may not be worth it, but most of those restrictions can be removed (and may be with a future OTA update, but can be done with coding today).

If you sit and stare at your vehicle, get a life...it's a tool, you want it to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Technically, mechanically, and functionally these are different. This is not just looks that many of us think they are.
Attached Images

12-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #21
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
I have an order scheduled and I am debating the laser headlights, which for my 45e would force me to get the executive package, whihc I am not a fan of.

But everybody is raving about the laser light, and the US regulation may actually allow them to perform as intended pretty soon as I read there is a rule submitted as of last month from NHTSA.

I personally think the LED headlight look beter because they have more black in them, while the laser headlight have tons of chrome trims on them, whihc I am not a fan. I don't like the glass controls and I think the "skylounge" led moonroof is really useless.

My X5 will be arctic grey m-sport with all the other options except 'executive package'

what do you guy think of the purely cosmetic of the headlights ? who agrees with me that it looks beter
when the assembly is as blacked out as possible ?

I also worry about future reliabliity of laser, I plan to keep my car for a very long time 6+ years.
If you prefer the look of the LED don't take the lasers and the rest of the executive package you don't really want.

The LED are good enough to lighten the road. Especially if you don't live in a rural area.

I really like the look of the lasers and wouldn't buy a car without but fortunately tastes can differ.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #22
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
While I can appreciate that people obsess over how a vehicle looks, I really care far more on how it functions. You cannot see the headlights whether blacked out, blue, yellow, etc. from the front while driving...pick one that works best for you. If enabled to give the full design functionality, the laser headlights are better. With the full adaptability, when in auto, the high beams work far more than with a normal system as the beam shape changes, moves, retracts, and splits around vehicles ahead. As currently implemented in the US, they may not be worth it, but most of those restrictions can be removed (and may be with a future OTA update, but can be done with coding today).

If you sit and stare at your vehicle, get a life...it's a tool, you want it to work.
This. "Style" had nothing to do with selecting laser lights in my build(s). They perform better than LEDs at highway speeds, even in the US.
Appreciate 0