Günther
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
New X5 M50i Detailing

Hey guys!

I pick up my X5 M50i on 1/19. I'm curious about whether detailing is needed, or not. If detailing is required/recommended then I would love to have your opinion about ceramic coatings, leather protection, and glass treatments.

I read earlier posts about whether ceramic coatings are required and Ceramic Pro. I have a detailer friend who is pushing me to do the ceramic coating, CQuartz leather protectant, and GlassParency. He's quoted the price at $2,500 for everything.

I'm sure there are pros and cons both ways. What would you guys do?

Thanks much!
2021 X5 M50i; Tanzanite Blue II Metallic; Coffee Extended Merino Leather; Executive Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Drivers Assistance Professional Package; Parking Assistance Package; 22" M Double-spoke black 742M wheels; Bowers & Wilkins sound system; Extended Shadowline Trim; Front massaging seats; Heated Front & Rear Seats and armrests; Space -saver tire
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Günther View Post
Hey guys!

I pick up my X5 M50i on 1/19. I'm curious about whether detailing is needed, or not. If detailing is required/recommended then I would love to have your opinion about ceramic coatings, leather protection, and glass treatments.

I read earlier posts about whether ceramic coatings are required and Ceramic Pro. I have a detailer friend who is pushing me to do the ceramic coating, CQuartz leather protectant, and GlassParency. He's quoted the price at $2,500 for everything.

I'm sure there are pros and cons both ways. What would you guys do?

Thanks much!
That pricing seems a bit steep.

I'm paying $1,150 for mine (Ceramic Pro Silver Package) + glass + trim + wheel face/barrel.

This is the 5 year warranty package. There's also a Gold package ($1,750) that's "lifetime" and has 4 layers of the ceramic vs the 1 in silver.

No interior on my deal but can't imagine interior costing THAT much.

Hope this helps!

Also you should note for CP's warranty, you have to get the coating inspected every year. My shop is doing the inspection and topping up the coating with CP Sport annually for free. That's a nice bonus to have.

I'd also look into PPF, well worth it to protect against rock chips etc.
      01-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
Günther
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the information smomin23. Yes, $2500 seems a bit high to me, as well.

KTV
2021 X5 M50i; Tanzanite Blue II Metallic; Coffee Extended Merino Leather; Executive Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Drivers Assistance Professional Package; Parking Assistance Package; 22" M Double-spoke black 742M wheels; Bowers & Wilkins sound system; Extended Shadowline Trim; Front massaging seats; Heated Front & Rear Seats and armrests; Space -saver tire
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information smomin23. Yes, $2500 seems a bit high to me, as well.

KTV
Happy to help! Hope you enjoy your new car
      01-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
iX52020
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Are you asking your dealer not to do a paint correction?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I just took delivery of X5 M50i Carbon Black and did the Ceramic Pro Gold which is 4 layers of the 9h plus top coat then layer on plastics wheels glass etc. charged me 1850 plus tax.... No Im kicking myself for not doing the PPF as it seems would have needed to do that first
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #7
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I'm getting my car ceramic and PPF in two weeks. $2300 for full front end PPF including lights and mirrors. I don't believe my price includes wheels, but have been reading up on it and it sounds like something I should consider adding.

I asked about the 1, 3yr and Lifetime ceramic shops are pushing and he advised me that he is putting on 22PLE and not to pay extra for the "extended" life/coats of ceramic. Reality is that it will be fine under normal wear and tear. He said most of his clients get it redone every 3-4 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Günther
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's a great price for all of that work. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
Günther
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockli81 View Post
I just took delivery of X5 M50i Carbon Black and did the Ceramic Pro Gold which is 4 layers of the 9h plus top coat then layer on plastics wheels glass etc. charged me 1850 plus tax.... No Im kicking myself for not doing the PPF as it seems would have needed to do that first
Yes, I hear ya. You would have had to put the PPF on first, before putting the ceramics on top. Good luck.

I traded in my 2014 X3 iDrive35 that was Carbon Black Metallic for a 2021 X5 M50i in Tanzanite Blue II Metallic. I was on track to stick with the Carbon Black (I love that color!), but I'm glad that the salesman encouraged me to switch to the Tanzanite Blue. It's beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #10
Günther
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Smile New Car Prep, Ceramics, and PPF Quote

Hey guys,

I'm sharing the quote for service on my new X5 M50i. The shop is in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The quote is very detailed so you'll see all of the work that's being done to it for a total of $6,969.70.

I looked around at other detailers in the area and chose to go with Simple Details. This shop is a first-class business. The owner spent about 45 minutes with me showing several autos that were currently in the shop. NICE JOB! We reviewed several options for the ceramics and the PPF. I went with the best of class for all products.

It's taking about two weeks to do the entire job. Simple Details creates a Trello project management board to show the tracking of all work. They're constantly taking photos of the work. (I've included one for your reference.)

I'm glad that I trusted my precious Herr Günther von Bimmer with these guys. Would you believe that I picked up a chip on the ride home from the Performance Delivery Center in Spartanburg, SC? It's on the hood. The staff called me as soon as they found it. It was revealed during the paint correction and cleaning. They contacted BMW and got some Tanzanite Blue II Metallic paint to fix the chip before they apply the PPF and ceramic coating.

All-in-all, I'm very glad that I decided to do the PPF and ceramics. The last Bimmer (Klaus von Bimmer) had little dings and chips all over the hood and the A rocker / hood area. I think that it was a wise decision to protect the ~$104,000 invested in my new baby.

Cheers,
Kenny
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW X5 M50i Quote.pdf (162.3 KB, 253 views)
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Holy Cow!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #12
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I hear ya. You would have had to put the PPF on first, before putting the ceramics on top. Good luck.

I traded in my 2014 X3 iDrive35 that was Carbon Black Metallic for a 2021 X5 M50i in Tanzanite Blue II Metallic. I was on track to stick with the Carbon Black (I love that color!), but I'm glad that the salesman encouraged me to switch to the Tanzanite Blue. It's beautiful!

Phoned up my detailer, they said they will remove the ceramic layers in order to install PPF at no cost.

Install PPF FULL NOSE covers Hood, Front Bumper, L/R Fenders, mirrors $1600 (already in for 2k on the ceramic)

Reapply the ceramic layers at no cost

Will throw in ceramic interior (no fabric) at no cost.

Anyone think it would be a problem removing the ceramic to apply the ppf?

Last edited by stockli81; 02-07-2021 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
Günther
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Phoned up my detailer, they said they will remove the ceramic layers in order to install PPF at no cost.

Install PPF FULL NOSE covers Hood, Front Bumper, L/R Fenders, mirrors $1600

Good on ya, mate! This is great news.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #14
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Install PPF FULL NOSE covers Hood, Front Bumper, L/R Fenders, mirrors $1600 (already in for 2k on the ceramic)

Shouldn't be any issue to remove ceramic for PPF install

Most folks avoid it cause they are billed for all the no cost bits you're getting.

Seems a bit odd they're willing to front the costs (unless this was due to oversight on their part). Part of me would want to figure out why and the other part of me says you don't look a gift horse in the mouth
      02-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #15
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Shouldn't be any issue to remove ceramic for PPF install

Most folks avoid it cause they are billed for all the no cost bits you're getting.

Seems a bit odd they're willing to front the costs (unless this was due to oversight on their part). Part of me would want to figure out why and the other part of me says you don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Was thinking the same thing, the coat was originally done at the dealer during unwrapping. This time, bypassing dealer and just going straight to his shop. Will ask a couple questions when I drop it off...
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I looked around at other detailers in the area and chose to go with Simple Details. This shop is a first-class business. The owner spent about 45 minutes with me showing several autos that were currently in the shop. NICE JOB!
I drop my G05 off to Simple Details later this week. I agree with your assessment of their business: first class indeed! yohance never tried to upsell any products or services. My price point is a bit higher since I'm getting stealth+ceramic in addition to interior ppf plus tinting and a few other custom requests.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 02-12-2021 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:49 AM   #17
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was thinking the same thing, the coat was originally done at the dealer during unwrapping. This time, bypassing dealer and just going straight to his shop. Will ask a couple questions when I drop it off...
That's probably for the best. Might even get a few curiosities answered. Plus, I personally like to know exactly who is touching my car lol
      02-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #18
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm sharing the quote for service on my new X5 M50i. The shop is in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The quote is very detailed so you'll see all of the work that's being done to it for a total of $6,969.70.

I looked around at other detailers in the area and chose to go with Simple Details. This shop is a first-class business. The owner spent about 45 minutes with me showing several autos that were currently in the shop. NICE JOB! We reviewed several options for the ceramics and the PPF. I went with the best of class for all products.

It's taking about two weeks to do the entire job. Simple Details creates a Trello project management board to show the tracking of all work. They're constantly taking photos of the work. (I've included one for your reference.)

I'm glad that I trusted my precious Herr Günther von Bimmer with these guys. Would you believe that I picked up a chip on the ride home from the Performance Delivery Center in Spartanburg, SC? It's on the hood. The staff called me as soon as they found it. It was revealed during the paint correction and cleaning. They contacted BMW and got some Tanzanite Blue II Metallic paint to fix the chip before they apply the PPF and ceramic coating.

All-in-all, I'm very glad that I decided to do the PPF and ceramics. The last Bimmer (Klaus von Bimmer) had little dings and chips all over the hood and the A rocker / hood area. I think that it was a wise decision to protect the ~$104,000 invested in my new baby.

Cheers,
Kenny
I hope you didn't lease it and return it after 3 years! I was amazed when I bought my current X5 used, how much the previous owner had spent on the car - including ceramic coating. Must have spent $5 for every mile driven!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:01 PM   #19
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
That's probably for the best. Might even get a few curiosities answered. Plus, I personally like to know exactly who is touching my car lol
Finally picked up the car today after ppf the front.... some minor details need to be fixed mostly to do with white hazing on the black trim in spots like the mirror and front grill... All in all, think the ceramic removal, PPF add, ceramic recoat looks pretty good... Tested a hazy spot on the black plastic piece you can't see with peanut butter and after a rub and wipe clean it removed it. Detailer said he will fix those hazy spots up especially the mirror section.

This thing is a DUST MAGNET...

Name:  20210301_223126.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  391.5 KB

Name:  20210301_223133.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  394.6 KB

hazy buildup which seems to come off, slight sloppiness with film, which he is correcting on Wed

Name:  20210301_205415.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  457.1 KB

Last edited by stockli81; 03-02-2021 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #20
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Finally picked up the car today after ppf the front.... some minor details need to be fixed mostly to do with white hazing on the black trim in spots like the mirror and front grill... All in all, think the ceramic removal, PPF add, ceramic recoat looks pretty good... Tested a hazy spot on the black plastic piece you can't see with peanut butter and after a rub and wipe clean it removed it. Detailer said he will fix those hazy spots up especially the mirror section.

This thing is a DUST MAGNET...
First time I've fully appreciated the beauty of Carbon Black Metallic

That glossy finish looks fantastic!!

Thankfully didn't get any hazing on my install but glad to hear he's taking care of you
      03-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #21
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I looked around at other detailers in the area and chose to go with Simple Details. This shop is a first-class business. All-in-all, I'm very glad that I decided to do the PPF and ceramics.
I just saw your reveal video. Herr Günther looks great! maybe I'll see ya' around HR...
Appreciate 0