Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Great post. One point I always make about the new "M-Performance" cars is that its simply all marketing. The M340i is nothing but a 340i that comes with the M-Sport package standard, and uses the M badge to compete with the C43 and S4 which also have used their brand's cache. That's not to say these aren't great cars, because they are (well... maybe not the X2 or 2GC which should stay far away from M badges) but cars like the M635i were actually modified greatly compared to their regular counterparts. Aside from a cooling package, the M340i features many of the same options and equipment as the 330i when fully equipped and drive very similarly, just with different powertrains, which has how it always was, before the M badge made its way on the back of the car. I've driven a 330i and M340i both fully optioned and other than the powertrain and steering (30i actually gets the newer and better rack) they do not feel different.
I may be biased but in the case of the M340i, I wouldn't consider it a 340i with an M badge. Where the previous version was hard to recommend over the 330i and didn't come close to the M3, the M340i has a LSD and with the tech pack comes upgraded cooling and brakes. As the term Mperformance suggests it is a more performance oriented version and therefore BMW categorises these variants differently as they have always done... nothing new here.

The biggest issue therefore is perhaps not how BMW classifies it performance oriented vehicles but more likely that 'true M' owner snobbery comes into play here as both M and Mperformance versions are classified and reported as one in BMW terms.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #90
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-models.html

weird how they don't have any Mxxx cars on this page
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #91
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-models.html

weird how they don't have any Mxxx cars on this page
It’s not too surprising BMW NA still promotes them separately. We only get the very top layers of BMW’s range, so there aren’t nearly as many sub-M trim levels as there are in most other parts of the world.

On the global site, all tiers of M products are listed under “M”:

https://www.bmw.com/en/bmw-models.html
Appreciate 1
six75LT916.50
      01-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #92
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I don't think there's anywhere in the world the situation to care more about a badge than in US
Totally different culture in Europe! You can see an M Sport 330d, an M340d and an M3 one next to the other, no badges on the trunk and either person totally happy with his choice!
What BMW reports is one thing put together by the Marketing Dept, what makes you happy to drive is the effort done initially by a Technical Dept.
What can be wrong here to get that mad?! 😁
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:21 PM   #93
italiabrain
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
I totally get where you're coming from. BUT..

The M community wants each new generation to be faster than the last. We can all agree on that.

The F chassis cars were at the limit of control with 2-wheel drive when it came to launching. We can agree on that hopefully?

Therefore, all-wheel drive was inevitable. Hand-to-god, the F90 is the best overall M car I've ever driven, and that breaks just about my every classic M rule.
I agree on the AWD part. The F90 isn’t really launchable in RWD mode. Hell, it’ll spin up the Pirellis on a roll in 3rd gear in a straight line if it’s cold. Plus the AWD system is really good.

I guess I don’t fit their paradigm, but I want it all and still want it with a manual. I could’ve dealt with the new nose on the M3 and “downgraded”, but not when the manual means no AWD and no Competition pack and no one can seem to develop remote start with 3 pedals. AWD manual with any sports orientation at all is down to what Subaru?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #94
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
I agree on the AWD part. The F90 isn’t really launchable in RWD mode. Hell, it’ll spin up the Pirellis on a roll in 3rd gear in a straight line if it’s cold. Plus the AWD system is really good.

I guess I don’t fit their paradigm, but I want it all and still want it with a manual. I could’ve dealt with the new nose on the M3 and “downgraded”, but not when the manual means no AWD and no Competition pack and no one can seem to develop remote start with 3 pedals. AWD manual with any sports orientation at all is down to what Subaru?
Agree. But then the take rate for manuals will be lower, giving BMW a chance to say "the take rate is lower. So we're not making them anymore"

For AWD and a stick, I'm afraid you'd have to go back in time.
      01-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #95
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
I don't think there's anywhere in the world the situation to care more about a badge than in US
Totally different culture in Europe! You can see an M Sport 330d, an M340d and an M3 one next to the other, no badges on the trunk and either person totally happy with his choice!
What BMW reports is one thing put together by the Marketing Dept, what makes you happy to drive is the effort done initially by a Technical Dept.
What can be wrong here to get that mad?! 😁
You're saying people go to the trouble of debadging their "M" because they don't care about the badge? If they go to the trouble to remove the badge they are thinking about it also.
      01-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #96
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You're saying people go to the trouble of debadging their "M" because they don't care about the badge? If they go to the trouble to remove the badge they are thinking about it also.
There can be tax implications to badges ...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:20 PM   #97
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You can order them without a badge in Europe...
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      01-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #98
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
I may be biased but in the case of the M340i, I wouldn't consider it a 340i with an M badge. Where the previous version was hard to recommend over the 330i and didn't come close to the M3, the M340i has a LSD and with the tech pack comes upgraded cooling and brakes. As the term Mperformance suggests it is a more performance oriented version and therefore BMW categorises these variants differently as they have always done... nothing new here.

The biggest issue therefore is perhaps not how BMW classifies it performance oriented vehicles but more likely that 'true M' owner snobbery comes into play here as both M and Mperformance versions are classified and reported as one in BMW terms.
The F30 340i had the option of an LSD and upgraded cooling and brakes as well (which mine has). It didn't come close to an M3, but to say it was hard to recommend over a 330i is pure nonsense.

I wholeheartedly agree they should not count as M cars, they simply aren't

Last edited by blue dragon; 01-27-2021 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      01-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #99
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
The F30 340i had the option of an LSD and upgraded cooling and brakes as well (which mine has). It didn't come close to an M3, but to say it was hard to recommend over a 330i is pure nonsense.
There is a world of difference between the F30 340i and G20 M340i which I won't get into.

Whilst we all know the Mperformance lineup is not true M, BMW classify them as one (as they have always done) since they are both performance oriented.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #100
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Ridiculous marketing gimmick, with the influx of fake AMG drivers on the road with 43s etc, BMW felt the need to catch-up and make every 40i/50i model an M, I love options so don't get me wrong, but this is diluting the brand tremendously when a FWD based 235 can be considered a M car next to the M5 CS lol...

At least Audi separates it between S and RS, BMW and AMG are doing nothing for their high performance and enthusiast customer base
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #101
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackish View Post
As the current owner of 4 "true" M cars I must LOL at the " snobbery" shown in this post! Hahahaha. More options are rarely bad. If you don't like a particular car, don't buy it but I doubt the addition of the M340 effected the value of my 1M at all. Likely just the opposite. It seems like many of these "M Options" simply introduce new drivers to the quality and thrills we all enjoy.
I agree with your comment to the tune that if I hadn't purchased a M235i initially, I wouldn't have bought a M2 CS