BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-24-2021, 04:22 AM   #1
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Plastic piece wedged in tail lights

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has come across/seen a piece of semi-clear white plastic stuck wedged in the G05 tail lights (and possibly snapped off)? I saw 2 vehicles with it on the right rear tail lights when shopping around used G05s earlier.

Initially thought it might be some plastic scraper used by someone to clear out wax in the grooves after a polish and wax, but to see it on 2 different cars in 2 different places... makes me wonder if it was something which factory had accidentally left it there.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has come across/seen a piece of semi-clear white plastic stuck wedged in the G05 tail lights (and possibly snapped off)? I saw 2 vehicles with it on the right rear tail lights when shopping around used G05s earlier.

Initially thought it might be some plastic scraper used by someone to clear out wax in the grooves after a polish and wax, but to see it on 2 different cars in 2 different places... makes me wonder if it was something which factory had accidentally left it there.

Cheers!
It's the factory protective film. Your dealer vehicle prep did a half arse job of removing the film and prepping the vehicle(s).

Here's an example of what the vehicle looks like when shipped from the factory:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...17&postcount=7

Name:  ae3UYiwXQbO9+iJFdpX9Hw.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  420.2 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 01-24-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think so. It's a pretty solid piece of snapped off plastic, certainly not a thin plastic film. Around the typical thickness of a plastic food storage box for the fridge or a credit card.

I might be able to pull it out with pliers, but I don't dare to.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
I don't think so. It's a pretty solid piece of snapped off plastic, certainly not a thin plastic film. Around the typical thickness of a plastic food storage box for the fridge or a credit card.

I might be able to pull it out with pliers, but I don't dare to.
Couldn't ascertain the thickness of the plastic from the photos and thanks for providing more visual context.

But concerning your query, no I picked up my G05 at BMW PDC and didn't notice any item similar to the one wedged in your photo in my vehicle's tail lamp.

If you're concerned they could/should remove the tail lamp to remove the item.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had the same plastic piece in my tail lights that I noticed after my PCD. I was able to pull it out with a plastic trim removal tool and some needle nose pliers.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:28 AM   #6
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Couldn't ascertain the thickness of the plastic from the photos and thanks for providing more visual context.

But concerning your query, no I picked up my G05 at BMW PDC and didn't notice any item similar to the one wedged in your photo in my vehicle's tail lamp.

Thanks, no worries. Photos aren’t particularly clear as I took them while inspecting. I’ll perhaps speak with the dealer next time the car is due in for a service. I had asked a Genius recently but he said he hasn’t been noticing them, but I guess it’s not something to be noticed unless you look closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I had the same plastic piece in my tail lights that I noticed after my PCD. I was able to pull it out with a plastic trim removal tool and some needle nose pliers.
Thanks, good (well.. not really good but you get my point ) to hear there are others out there with this. Did you take any photos of what it was like wedged inside, or is it really just a piece of irregular plastic? Any clue what it was that left it there?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:31 AM   #7
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers!
Very interesting you spotted this piece on used G05s. I would have thought someone would have seen it and removed it on a previously owned car or on inspection and prep for resale.
      02-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Very interesting you spotted this piece on used G05s. I would have thought someone would have seen it and removed it on a previously owned car or on inspection and prep for resale.

Well what can I say... an eye for detail?

Car will be in for servicing end of Feb. Will see if they can do anything about it. Chances are they’ll dismiss it as I’m not the first owner...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

Thanks, no worries. Photos aren’t particularly clear as I took them while inspecting. I’ll perhaps speak with the dealer next time the car is due in for a service. I had asked a Genius recently but he said he hasn’t been noticing them, but I guess it’s not something to be noticed unless you look closely.

Quote:
Thanks, good (well.. not really good but you get my point ) to hear there are others out there with this. Did you take any photos of what it was like wedged inside, or is it really just a piece of irregular plastic? Any clue what it was that left it there?
No I didn't take any pics. Noticed it while drying my car. At first I thought it was part of the assembly but I could move it back and forth with my finger. After pulling it out it just looked like a small piece of white plastic about 1/2" by 1/4"... Not very big. It was pretty flexible so I just chalked it up to some sort of protective housing for the taillights that probably broke off when they installed the lights at the plant.
Appreciate 1
hiki08173.50
      02-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #10
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I didn't take any pics. Noticed it while drying my car. At first I thought it was part of the assembly but I could move it back and forth with my finger. After pulling it out it just looked like a small piece of white plastic about 1/2" by 1/4"... Not very big. It was pretty flexible so I just chalked it up to some sort of protective housing for the taillights that probably broke off when they installed the lights at the plant.
I see... thanks. That's a lot of broken bits from the plant!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #11
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I see... thanks. That's a lot of broken bits from the plant!
It almost is like it's a spacer that they use when installing the lights and sometimes they break when they remove them. That was my original thought. Nothing was actually broken on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 01:18 AM   #12
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It almost is like it's a spacer that they use when installing the lights and sometimes they break when they remove them. That was my original thought. Nothing was actually broken on the car.
Thanks.

With a bit more effort and knowing that it’s possible to pull straight out, I went back to it with my fingers and tugged the plastic piece out. As you say, doesn’t look like anything broken on the car. The plastic piece was a tiny rectangle probably the size of 3mm x 5mm.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

I have had my X5 two years and just noticed the same thing! I've hand-washed it many times, it's been professionally detailed, ceramic coated, and unfortunately I even had body work done on tailgate! So, I don't believe it was visible previously.
Appreciate 0