BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

To DAPP or not to DAPP (Drive Assist Professional Package)

Long time no see Bimmer Fam!

I've visited the site occasionally over the past few years, but never the X5 forum as I never really considered getting one, until now. I feel like it's about time I retire my 2009 E90 335i. It's served me very well over the last 12 years!

So on to my dilemma!

I have an opportunity to purchase an almost fully loaded 2021 X5 xDrive 40i MSport for a very fair price. The only problem is it's missing the Drive Assistance Professional Package.

For those of you who don't know and may find this post. The DAPP consists of Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways/ Active Driving Assistant Pro/ Driving Assist Pro Package. The Driving Assist Pro Package includes Active Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Assitant & Cross-Traffic alert front. ($1700 Pkg)

If I custom ordered a 2021 X5 xDrive 40i MSport with the same specs + DAPP, I'll potentially end up paying $2000-$5000 more. Mainly because of how fair the almost fully loaded X5 deal is. I sent the dealer the build code and am waiting to see how big of a difference it will really be.

My question is mostly for those of you who have or have tried DAPP.
If you were in my shoes, would you pay extra to get DAPP included? Even if you had to pay $5000 more? Out of all of the options, DAPP has to offer, I'm particularly interested in the Active Cruise Control Function.

I know at the end of the day, it's a matter of preference, but I wanted to hear what my fellow bimmerheads thought. It would aid tremendously in helping me come to a decision.

Thank you!

Last edited by JC316; 01-29-2021 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Changing Title
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

IMO - DAPP is a must have feature. If you commute for any amount of time or take long road trips - it will pay dividends. I would also be concerned with re-sale. A lot of cars these days have these DAPP features, so if you go to sell your car in 4-5 years, I'm willing to bet the buyer, looking at this model, would expect the car to have it. Especially since you can buy a lot cheaper SUVs (Hyundai/KIA) that do.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101165.00
Cooltones241.00
      01-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I don't think it is a must have, the ACC is fantastic, and used to be a stand alone option. I am not sure it is worth the $1700 by itself, but that is the only way to get it now. I had a custom ordered 45e, all options but DAP+ added, I backed out, as I chose a different vehicle, but my SA was able to sell it within a week. If you are worried about resale, it may or may not be an issue, repair costs are steep for all the sensors so someone may prefer a used vehicle without it.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Sorry to say this but if you have to ask, and you’re that torn from the start, it is likely that you will always regret not getting DAPP every time you get into the car.

I don’t know you personally so thats not a guarantee but it’s like big screen TVs - no one ever turns on their purchased TV and says ‘I wish I had gotten a smaller TV’ but the opposite happens a lot. TV and SUV are obviously very different but if you even think you might have buyer’s remorse not getting it, I would probably work out a comfortable deal with the dealer on the car you want.

If you do end up regretting not getting the DAPP and trade to get into it later, you’ll probably lose more than the few thousand dollars difference in sale price.

Plus, lots of safety extras in the DAPP.

I personally would never buy a car without the semi-autonomous driving assistance package. It’s saved my bacon on a number of occasions over the years (other drivers being stupid) and makes driving much less stressful in general.

Good luck either way!

As an aside, I never thought about getting an X5 either but just picked up my M50i last week and I’m LOVING it so far! Whatever you decide, I’m sure you’ll love your X5 too!
Appreciate 1
azn_fcuk176.50
      01-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

One of the reason I traded my 2019 X3 in for a 2021 X5 was, although I got a fantastic deal on the X3, it didn’t have DAPP. My other car (I also traded) was a 2017 Volt and it did have Adaptive Cruise, every time I drove the X3, although a wonderful car, I missed the adaptive cruise. It’s one of those features that you don’t know you need it until you have it, then you never want a vehicle without it (much like I feel about the HUD now that I have it in the X5).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
HouseMD
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

I love DAPP and viewed it as a must have when I made my purchase. While I don't use it every day (really not driving much with COVID), on long trips I found that it materially reduced the stress of a long drive. I found it very helpful to have it engaged. It allowed me to confidently take my eyes off the road for short periods of time to do other things like get a drink, snack, and/or simply find a new radio station. Of course these things are all doable without DAPP (been doing them for years) but it was comforting to have the car take on the majority of the driving during these activities.

I also agree with the other post that if this is of any interest to you at all, you will likely regret not getting this.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

When I ordered mine a couple years ago I thought it was a dumb feature I wouldn't use, but got it anyways. However it makes my commute in traffic so much more relaxing. Especially when doing stop and go in under 38 mph. Then you don't need you hands on the wheel at all. Not sure on long trips, though will drive it, you have to have your hands touching the wheel, and my wife says it ping pongs making her sick. Also keep in mind for the hands free mode, besides being under 38 mph, it has to be a fairly major road like an interstate or high way. Won't work on side streets, so depends what your commute is. I think it was worth the $1700. If you're going to have to pay $5k, not sure then.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
When I ordered mine a couple years ago I thought it was a dumb feature I wouldn't use, but got it anyways. However it makes my commute in traffic so much more relaxing. Especially when doing stop and go in under 38 mph. Then you don't need you hands on the wheel at all. Not sure on long trips, though will drive it, you have to have your hands touching the wheel, and my wife says it ping pongs making her sick. Also keep in mind for the hands free mode, besides being under 38 mph, it has to be a fairly major road like an interstate or high way. Won't work on side streets, so depends what your commute is. I think it was worth the $1700. If you're going to have to pay $5k, not sure then.
It doesn’t ”ping-pong” for me, there was mention in another post that the system has been upgraded so it may depend on the version running in your car. It does make me realize that for 40 years I’ve been driving much closer to the right side of the lane then in the center though. Still getting used to the feeling that I’m crossing the centerline when I’m actually in the center of the lane.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I also think the DAPP is a must have feature. Makes driving in traffic, long highway cruising, and kind of nuisance driving much more tolerable and less fatiguing. I would never buy a car again without it. Also I agree this is a feature you don’t know you love until you try it since it does sound kind of dumb initially. My father in law bought a Mercedes SUV with the equivalent package having never used it on my recommendation and says he uses it almost every time he gets in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

PAY THE EXTRA CASH!! TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

I can't begin to tell you how the DAPP changed my overall attitude. Especially driving in NY and NJ. Without this package, I would get frustrated and hv an attitude upon arrival at my destination. With it, it does all the heavy lifting and let's me relax and let the car do the work. The car never gets pissed off no matter how many times it's cut off. MUST HAVE option on every vehicle I own.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #11
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

As others have said, the standout feature for this vehicle is the DAPP. I absolutely love it and you would as well. Having said that, I'd be hard pressed to spend $5,000 on it. I didn't even know dealers were stocking vehicles without this option since everyone wants it. you should post the details of your deal and we can give you a good idea if it actually is a great deal or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #12
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

I personally did not find any use in the driver assistance pro package.

To me, it would not be worth it if you didn't have to keep your hands on the wheel.

What's the point of driving for you when your hands aren't free.

You paid 70k for the x5...use it.

Thats my opinion tho. The whole point of getting a BMW over MB, Audi or RR is that they are much more fun and engaging to drive. No point in fake autonomous driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post

To me, it would not be worth it if you didn't have to keep your hands on the wheel.

Thats my opinion tho. The whole point of getting a BMW over MB, Audi or RR is that they are much more fun and engaging to drive. No point in fake autonomous driving.
that's the beauty of the system. it offers you the best of both worlds: drive when you want to, or dont if you dont feel like it. seems like a no brainer to get it
Appreciate 1
smomin23311.00
      01-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
popper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post

that's the beauty of the system. it offers you the best of both worlds: drive when you want to, or dont if you dont feel like it. seems like a no brainer to get it
My two cents:

Go for a two hour trip (not city driving) and you lose time....unless you focus on following someone that drives your exact speed you want and that is exhausting in and of itself.

Either you get a ticket for too fast and not paying attention or you lose time following another car not paying attention when they slow down because of a truck in front of them!

That and the ping pong effect...always wondered about excessive wear on tires.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      01-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #15
MB_F31
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

We were considering DAPP & the consensus we found was if you commute a lot on freeways (not just 2-3 days a month) that experience traffic delays / slow downs it was a pretty cool feature to have in play. But if you're driving around the city / suburbs with stop signs and stoplights a lot (us prob 90%) it wasn't really necessary. So we didn't end up getting it in our '21 X5 but are happy to have the standard safety features i.e. lane assist, emergency braking, pedestrian detection, blind spot etc
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #16
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I would highly recommend DAPP, absolutely mandatory from my perspective. I'm surprised they would have any cars on their lot without this feature - knowing its popularity.

It's still surprising BMW still insists on this being an "option", considering many of the worlds top manufacturers make these safety features standard on their cars.

BMW should make features like the panoramic Sunroof an option, and features like DAPP standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #17
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Wow! Thank you for all of your responses! Really feeling the love!

So I received a quote from the dealer and basically there is a $6190 difference if I order, custom, before January 31 and a $7490 difference if I order after. The reason is because they're waiving the shipping fee for this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
As others have said, the standout feature for this vehicle is the DAPP. I absolutely love it and you would as well. Having said that, I'd be hard pressed to spend $5,000 on it. I didn't even know dealers were stocking vehicles without this option since everyone wants it. you should post the details of your deal and we can give you a good idea if it actually is a great deal or not.
To give you an idea of the deal that is currently being offered.

Almost fully loaded X5 xDrive 40i MSport: $65,900 |MSRP $78,400
21" M Y-Spoke bi-color wheel
Phytonic Blue Metallic
Vernasca Black Leather
Brown-Metallic Ash Grain Wood
MSports Pkg
Executive Pkg
Luxury Seating Package
Parking Assistance Package
Front and Rear heated seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrest, and Steering Wheel
3rd row seat + air suspension
Extended Shadowline Trim
M Sports Brakes with red calipers
(Only options missing: DAPP/ Aluminum running board/ Hitch) Space saver not included because of the 3rd row seat.

I'm not firm on the 3rd row but it seems like enough people out there think the ride is more comfortable with it. Also, I like the idea of being able to adjust the second row.

The quote I received for the custom build which is every option mentioned above + DAPP is $72,090 if ordered before Feb and $73,390 if ordered after. (MSRP: $80,100).

Decisions, decisions.....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #18
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post

BMW should make features like the panoramic Sunroof an option, and features like DAPP standard.
I agree, I have absolutely no use for any type of sunroof/panoroof whatsoever. And for the 2021 model year (2020 did have it) in the US, the cheapskates at BMW even removed the alcantara panoroof sunshade even though the rest of my X5M has an alcantara headliner. Just looks ridiculous when you are sitting in the rear, look up and see the two different colored materials not to mention how cheap the vinyl fabric sunshade feels when its right next to the alcantara headliner.
Two different neighbors of mine (without me pointing it out) noticed the difference and made comments about it saying its just wrong that BMW would do that on a well over 100K vehicle.
I have blasted BMW for this on the surveys, but of course it falls on deaf ears. It's all about returns for the shareholders. That's all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #19
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
And for the 2021 model year (2020 did have it) in the US, the cheapskates at BMW even removed the alcantara panoroof sunshade even though the rest of my X5M has an alcantara headliner.
That's absolutely ridiculous, cheapskates alright !

Reminds me of the HDD they put in the dash that has a high-pitched whining sound. I'm lucky in that it doesn't bother me, but for some with sensitive hearing it gets to them. Again, for a few hundred bucks, they should have just stuck in some SSD memory. Less power consumption, faster memory access, and no moving parts so more reliable in the long run. Go figure....

BMW had better start doing some more thinking about these particulars. People aren't idiots, and remember these "short-cuts" when it comes to their next car choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #20
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Holy Sh**. This (DAP) wasn't even on my radar until I read this thread. Dammit...now the cost goes up. Thanks for the great responses though
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
I don’t know you personally so thats not a guarantee but it’s like big screen TVs - no one ever turns on their purchased TV and says ‘I wish I had gotten a smaller TV’ but the opposite happens a lot.
No one except my wife. First thing she said when I upgraded from a 50" to 85" TV was: "That TV is to big for this room".

However, I concur that DAPP is a must have at this price point even if you only use it occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #22
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I would customer order, and use a different dealer who gives you a better price. There's no reason they should be charging you more for a customer order than one in the lot other than they just want to incentivize you to take the one from inventory off their hands.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0