BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Car takes Spotify stream from PC

I listen to Spotify premium using the Spotify app installed on my PC. Suddenly it will stop playing. When I look at the app, it says it is now playing in my BMW. However my BMW is sitting parked and empty in my garage. The keys are not in the car. I change the connection back to the PC and usually it takes. Sometimes I have to do it 2 or 3 times before it stays with the PC. I'm not sure why the car is connecting to Spotify when it's not in Standby or Drive Ready states. I have opened the Connected app on my iPhone and the updated time in the app will sometimes be around the time that the BMW has taken over the Spotify stream. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
I listen to Spotify premium using the Spotify app installed on my PC. Suddenly it will stop playing. When I look at the app, it says it is now playing in my BMW. However my BMW is sitting parked and empty in my garage. The keys are not in the car. I change the connection back to the PC and usually it takes. Sometimes I have to do it 2 or 3 times before it stays with the PC. I'm not sure why the car is connecting to Spotify when it's not in Standby or Drive Ready states. I have opened the Connected app on my iPhone and the updated time in the app will sometimes be around the time that the BMW has taken over the Spotify stream. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
I've experienced something similar where the vehicle built in Spotify app will actually steal the stream from my connected CarPlay iPhone streaming Spotify via CarPlay from the Spotify iOS app.

I had to disconnect the Spotify app built into iDrive to fix it and it took me forever to figure it out. I'm assuming whatever bug causes it to make itself the "active speaker" is what is affecting both of us.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
This happens on my G30 as well. It is due to the iDrive 7 HU waking up fully whenever the car wakes up. Once it wakes up it then connects to Spotify so its ready if you were getting into the car and etc.

The problem is, of course, Spotify only allows one active stream at a time so it pulls it away from your other device...

Spotify will do the same thing if you open it on another device while listening on another...

Spotify should probably add a setting to let you hit a button to temporarily disable this feature and keep you locked to the device you pick.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Do you keep your car unlocked when in the garage?

This might potentially be the problem. Don't have any evidence to back that up, just a theory.
      02-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Yes I do keep it unlocked. But I'm thinking it has to do with the car waking up when I open the Connected app so it can refresh the charge % and estimated range in the app. 45e
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Yeah that would also make sense.

There's got to be some action triggering it to wake up. I had figured if the car is locked, the code in the software must disable any systems that could potentially wake up until the vehicle is unlocked.

It's possible the connected app is doing this but I still wonder if locking might cut Spotify/CarPlay off. Clearly something is triggering the idrive.

Hopefully you find a solution! Waiting to get my car back from the detailer and really hoping this doesn't become an issue for me either
      04-05-2024, 07:05 AM   #7
Spicewood
Registered
Rep
Drives: USA

Hey everyone, jumping in on this music streaming discussion. Buy spotify plays usa always seemed like a shortcut to me – a numbers game that doesn't reflect genuine interest in the music. Don't get me wrong, getting discovered as an artist is tough! But I'd rather focus on creating something real, something that connects with people organically.

Last edited by Spicewood; 04-08-2024 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0