06-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #45
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
In my experience, I was unable to do the OTA update. I too had the 5DP removed from my FA and also added 8TL. So there might be a correlation with being unable to update via OTA. My X5 is currently at the dealer to repair the steering column not extending. They supposedly updated the software yesterday and today will be getting it back. I will report what software update they put me on.
Cool! Somebody can test my hypothesis, unless your dealer upgrade you to later than 11/2019.70.
      06-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #46
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Quote:
In my experience, I was unable to do the OTA update. I too had the 5DP removed from my FA and also added 8TL. So there might be a correlation with being unable to update via OTA. My X5 is currently at the dealer to repair the steering column not extending. They supposedly updated the software yesterday and today will be getting it back. I will report what software update they put me on.
Cool! Somebody can test my hypothesis, unless your dealer upgrade you to later than 11/2019.70.
I am sure dealer can overcome FA modified coding. I don't think we should mix dealer-installed updates and OTA-installed updates in this correlation.
      06-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #47
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am sure dealer can overcome FA modified coding. I don't think we should mix dealer-installed updates and OTA-installed updates in this correlation.
What I meant was if dealer upgrade the car to at least 11/2019.70 then there's no way to verify my hypothesis. If the car stays at the current rev but dealer overwrites/revert to original FA then chances are it may get OTA notification (if my observation is correct). If not, he/she can validate the FA list and put back the original.
LexxM31697.50
      06-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #48
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
What I meant was if dealer upgrade the car to at least 11/2019.70 then there's no way to verify my hypothesis. If the car stays at the current rev but dealer overwrites/revert to original FA then chances are it may get OTA notification (if my observation is correct). If not, he/she can validate the FA list and put back the original.
They actually had a hard time upgrading the software. I took it in Monday, and 4 hours later received a call that they were having problems with the software update. so the BMW tech decided to remove all power to the vehicle and let it sit over night. I was supposed to received it yesterday, but they messed up on my rear tire replacement (the put on the wrong size), and had to order the correct size. The steering column wasn't fixed, they ordered a new one from germany and will take about 2 weeks for them to get it, after that I will have to take it back in.

Edit: I picked up my vehicle this afternoon. It was updated to software version 2020/03.58. All my coding was reverted back to original as expected after a dealer software upgrade. No noticeable changes as of yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by mandomedic122; 06-24-2020 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Adding additional comments and picture
Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw182.50
      06-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #49
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They actually had a hard time upgrading the software. I took it in Monday, and 4 hours later received a call that they were having problems with the software update. so the BMW tech decided to remove all power to the vehicle and let it sit over night. I was supposed to received it yesterday, but they messed up on my rear tire replacement (the put on the wrong size), and had to order the correct size. The steering column wasn't fixed, they ordered a new one from germany and will take about 2 weeks for them to get it, after that I will have to take it back in.
Sorry to hear about your experience Our little experiment is not important and can wait, if at all applicable once you get your car back.
      06-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #50
coco135
Rep
Drives: 2009 7

Quote:

Edit: I picked up my vehicle this afternoon. It was updated to software version 2020/03.58. All my coding was reverted back to original as expected after a dealer software upgrade. No noticeable changes as of yet.
Sounds like a typical BMW dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:03 PM   #51
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Yes, theory of a modified FA seems like maybe the most likely correlation here if it turns out to be repeatable. So we're mostly looking for modified FAs and VO codings from others.

I get that you don't have to accept the install. But I bet it will just sit there an nag at you and then, one day, in a moment of weakness ... bam, it's in and there is no going back :-).
I had minor issues related to my OTA and now that the dealer gave me 3/2020.59 - perhaps to correct the ACC issue - all is well.
Does your anti-dazzle work after the software update?
      06-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #52
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Anyone else try rolling back changes to see if they can get the OTA update?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #53
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Anyone else try rolling back changes to see if they can get the OTA update?
I've done extensive coding on my car and still got the OTA - not sure how one would effect the other. The only thing I can think that could effect the OTA would be if you changed the FA (VO coding) and wrote it back to the car. Whenever I modify the FA, I don't write it back to the car. I just keep a copy on my computer.

If someone did that and they think its the reason why the OTA isn't coming I suppose you can write the old FA back to the car. If you don't code the ECUs after you do that, you shouldn't lose your VO coding.

Last edited by VTENGR; 06-30-2020 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #54
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^^
I think I was the first who reported this. I had 5AP removed and 8TL added and I swear I tried OTA at least 10 times and always got nothing. Immediately after putting everything back I got OTA. That was like less than 10 minutes after I tried OTA with modified FA.

mandomedic122 had the same 07/2019.55 version and modified FA and couldn't OTA and wanted to verify my observation. Unfortunately he had some other more pressing issues with the car with the dealer upgrading his to 03/2020.xx.
      06-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #55
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
^^
I think I was the first who reported this. I had 5AP removed and 8TL added and I swear I tried OTA at least 10 times and always got nothing. Immediately after putting everything back I got OTA. That was like less than 10 minutes after I tried OTA with modified FA.

mandomedic122 had the same 07/2019.55 version and modified FA and couldn't OTA and wanted to verify my observation. Unfortunately he had some other more pressing issues with the car with the dealer upgrading his to 03/2020.xx.
So the easy fix would be to revert your FA back to stock - but don't code any ECUs. That way the car still thinks it's "stock" but the ecus will still work as if coded with the modified FA.

For future reference, when you VO code, you do not need to write the modifed FA back to the car's computer. What token master recommends is that you make your FA changes, save the FA on your computer, read SVT/ECU, code the ECUs you need to get your VO coding to work.

When you do it this way, you never technically change the FA on the car's computer. You're essentially tricking the car's ECU into thinking it has options it doesn't.

This will work just as well as long as you don't code ECUs using the stock FA after you've done your VO coding. However, once you've VO coded, there would be no reason to code ECU.

For any future VO coding, just load up your modified FA you saved on your computer and make any necessary edits.

Now the question I have is can you take an FA file from 11/2019.70 and use it for 03/2020.40 and still be OK? I wouldn't risk it, but that just means you have to redo all your VO coding - which isn't that hard anyway. Just make sure you do your VO coding before your FDL coding.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #56
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Now the question I have is can you take an FA file from 11/2019.70 and use it for 03/2020.40 and still be OK? I wouldn't risk it, but that just means you have to redo all your VO coding - which isn't that hard anyway. Just make sure you do your VO coding before your FDL coding.
If you are coding using an offline saved FA then as you say the car's FA is not used. That means esys is reading the xml from your local computer. Does the xml change between i-step?

You can check this yourself by comparing your backups. Is there any difference whatsoever, other than if you change build date or options?

I don't believe there is. You can even generate and use your own FA from scratch.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #57
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
^^

So the easy fix would be to revert your FA back to stock - but don't code any ECUs. That way the car still thinks it's "stock" but the ecus will still work as if coded with the modified FA.

For future reference, when you VO code, you do not need to write the modifed FA back to the car's computer. What token master recommends is that you make your FA changes, save the FA on your computer, read SVT/ECU, code the ECUs you need to get your VO coding to work.

When you do it this way, you never technically change the FA on the car's computer. You're essentially tricking the car's ECU into thinking it has options it doesn't.

This will work just as well as long as you don't code ECUs using the stock FA after you've done your VO coding. However, once you've VO coded, there would be no reason to code ECU.

For any future VO coding, just load up your modified FA you saved on your computer and make any necessary edits.

"What token master recommends is that you make your FA changes, save the FA on your computer, read SVT/ECU, code the ECUs you need to get your VO coding to work. "

This is exactly what I did. How do you write FA back to the car computer?

To restore I read my backup FA xml (I diff'ed it against current with 5AP in it and no 8TL) and did what you mentioned above. I may be doing something wrong so it would be great to know how to do it correctly.
      06-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #58
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
If you are coding using an offline saved FA then as you say the car's FA is not used. That means esys is reading the xml from your local computer. Does the xml change between i-step?

You can check this yourself by comparing your backups. Is there any difference whatsoever, other than if you change build date or options?

I don't believe there is. You can even generate and use your own FA from scratch.
I have backup from 07/2019.55 and can read FA from my OTA's 11/2019.70 and check diff. I don't have any coding done right now so both files should be stock.
      06-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #59
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

If you're talking about the I-Step info shown in the SVT Target section of E-Sys, then mine are the same from "stock" to when I just VO Coded after my OTA update to 11/2019.70.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #60
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
"What token master recommends is that you make your FA changes, save the FA on your computer, read SVT/ECU, code the ECUs you need to get your VO coding to work. "

To restore I read my backup FA xml (I diff'ed it against current with 5AP in it and no 8TL) and did what you mentioned above. I may be doing something wrong so it would be great to know how to do it correctly.
If all you have done is code ECU without writing the FA then I'd wager your OTA update was not related to the FA state.

You have different coding options than your FA indicates, but I doubt the OTA pre-req checker would know about that.

There are some codes that impact remote services so I guess that could be a possibility. I've changed codes that have prevented CD services from working, but seems unlikely and more likely a co-incidence.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #61
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like you've done it the same way I do it. To write the FA back to the the car there's a few extra steps - here's a youtube video. However, it's not required to write the FA to the car. The only benefit is when you "READ FA" at the beginning of a coding session it will already have the VO parameters removed. However, READ FA and LOAD FA fundamentally do the same thing, so there's zero to gain by writing it back to the car - unless I'm overlooking something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7rpTGHrGx8
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #62
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you're talking about the I-Step info shown in the SVT Target section of E-Sys, then mine are the same from "stock" to when I just VO Coded after my OTA update to 11/2019.70.
I'm not.

You asked about taking an FA from an earlier i-step and using it on a car that has since been upgraded.

My suggestion was to review the fa xml files and that would answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #63
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have backup from 07/2019.55 and can read FA from my OTA's 11/2019.70 and check diff. I don't have any coding done right now so both files should be stock.
They follow a simple format, and don't functionally change between i-step

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<faList>
<id name="">
<comment/>
<ns1:fa xmlns:ns1="http://bmw.com/2005/psdz.data.fa">
<ns1:header createdBy="" date="%DATE_CREATED%" time="%TIME_CREATED%" vinLong="%LONG_VIN%"/>
<ns1:standardFA colourCode="0475" faVersion="3" fabricCode="MCEW" series="G005" timeCriteria="%BUILD_DATE_FOR_VO_CODING%" typeKey="%CRITICAL_TYPE_CODE_MUST_MATCH_VIN%">
<ns1:eCodes>
<ns1:eCode>%BATTERY_TYPE%</ns1:eCode>
</ns1:eCodes>
<ns1:saCodes>
<ns1:saCode>%OPTIONS_FOR_VO_CODING%</ns1:saCode>
</ns1:saCodes>
<ns1:hoCodes/>
</ns1:standardFA>
</ns1:fa>
</id>
</faList>
Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw182.50
      06-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #64
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not.

You asked about taking an FA from an earlier i-step and using it on a car that has since been upgraded.

My suggestion was to review the fa xml files and that would answer your question.
Oh - like a side by side b/w the two FA xml files. I'm not sure how to do that. I've compared NCD files by importing them into excel, but that's pretty tedious. Please be gentle, I'm still a relative NOOB when it comes to this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #65
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh - like a side by side b/w the two FA xml files. I'm not sure how to do that. I've compared NCD files by importing them into excel, but that's pretty tedious. Please be gentle, I'm still a relative NOOB when it comes to this stuff.
It's really simple. Just open them in notepad, and there' not much in there. I posted a framework above.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #66
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's really simple. Just open them in notepad, and there' not much in there. I posted a framework above.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0