BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2024, 10:11 PM   #111
vini_079
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I was finally to bring the car up date.
I have an G07 but I'm posting here because a few owners in this thread have the 038400 fault.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend anyone to go my way, I'm just here to share my story behind the frustrating BMW RSU feature.

I got the notification in the "mybmw" app about a month ago. The software downloaded to the car the same day. After a couple days of waiting I connected the car to ISTA+ and the 038400 fault was present. I could delete it but would come back right away. The issue seemed to be related to the battery condition but the battery test in ISTA showed no issues.

I learned that BMW techs will force the update with their software.

I was hesitant to do it myself because of the risks involved when programming with ISTA but ...

I learned that the biggest risk when working with ISTA is power related - the car needs enough power to successfully go through all the steps. If you don't supply the additional power needed you will brick your car. For this reason I built a custom made power supply by using a 1200 Watts Dell server psu - found instructions on a bmw forum.

I have ISTA+ 4.39.20 with psdz 4.45.21.
I first tried updating the software on my F10 which went quite smooth. I did get one error in ISTA at the end which I was able to clear right away. Errors after coding or programming are common.

I then connected ISTA+ to my G07 and proceeded with the update. My car had "I-level actual" S18A-23-03-565 and ISTA's "target" version was S18A-23-11-542 which at first I first thought was the same version the car could not install; 25 minutes later the update was complete. I did have a couple of faults in ISTA but was able to clear.

When I checked the car's menu, the update notification was no longer there so I did "Search for upgrade" and the car found the same upgrade available as it did a month ago. The download was transferred to the car but unlike 5 weeks ago, the installation started right away.

After less than twenty minutes installation was completed and connecting ISTA+ again, I noticed I-Level changed to S18A-23-11-558.

After this update, I noticed a "permanent SAE fault stored" which can not be cleared in ISTA but it has to "heal" (term found in ISTA) meaning you have to drive the car for a certain time at a speed greater that 25mph.

The car drives exactly like before, and as someone put it, this is not an iPhone, you won't get any features if you update.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 09:20 AM   #112
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I think given the issues faced in terms of being able to code things with the latest update, it's a good thing my update hasn't gone through!
Appreciate 0