BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2024, 07:49 PM   #133
BlackDesertCanuck
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive50e

Joined the forum prior to receiving my vehicle. I have had 3 CEL events since taking possession of my 50e. I have 1600 miles on my vehicle and I have had it for 2 months.

- First CEL came on after using assisted drive+ on the freeway for the first time. Cleared on its own after 48 hours

- Second CEL came on 2 weeks later when i used assisted drive+ on the freeway a second time. Cleared on its own after 12 hours

- Third CEL came on after I somehow left my charge port door open overnight. Closed it before I started vehicle but CEL was on for 24 hours before resetting itself

I have not taken my vehicle in to dealer to this point for a couple of reasons. The nearest dealership is 120 miles away. After the first CEL event, I called the emergency roadside assistance (as directed by my dealership), they remote diagnosed my vehicle as having a software issue with some systems communicating using assisted driving and indicated to me that vehicle was safe to drive and if the light didn’t reset itself in 24 hours, I would have to bring the vehicle in for evaluation. I gave it an extra day, but it reset itself. The second time was after using assisted drive again, so I gave it a day to reset before calling in and the light reset. The third time I figured it was due to leaving the charging port door open and it reset itself.

I haven’t had any other issues and I do enjoy driving the vehicle. My only regret is not getting the M60i because I tend to drive mine in sport mode for the majority of my drives and it brings a smile to my face!!

That said, I can go two days of normal driving all electric driving before I have to plug in for the night, so I should probably do more electric driving!
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2024, 03:31 PM   #134
Sandfly
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 50e

drivetrain malfunction

I have a 2024 BMW x5 50 e I purchased in September 2023 and have 1600 miles. On 3/7, as I was getting on the freeway onramp, the SUV lost power, and I pulled over on the shoulder at the bottom of the onramp. I had two messages: Drivetrain malfunction and High Voltage system. Both indicated I could still drive the car - but I could not. It would not restart - when I tried it would automatically go back to Park. I had to have it towed to the dealer where it remains today. I am waiting to hear back.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:39 PM   #135
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
I have a 2024 BMW x5 50 e I purchased in September 2023 and have 1600 miles. On 3/7, as I was getting on the freeway onramp, the SUV lost power, and I pulled over on the shoulder at the bottom of the onramp. I had two messages: Drivetrain malfunction and High Voltage system. Both indicated I could still drive the car - but I could not. It would not restart - when I tried it would automatically go back to Park. I had to have it towed to the dealer where it remains today. I am waiting to hear back.
Yikes, that's scary--and inexcusable for a brand new vehicle. Please let us know what your dealer does to address.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:04 PM   #136
Sandfly
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 50e

It was scary - losing power just before getting on the freeway. Fortunately, a CHP officer was parked under the overpass, and he helped me out. The dealer got back to me today and said that BMW NA says it's a transmission problem, so they are replacing my transmission with a new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:12 PM   #137
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Please, X5 is not a truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jabimmer View Post
Well… I previously voted as having joined the forum prior to getting my 50e, and not having an issue.

After 2.5 months and 4800 miles, I have to change my vote. I have now had the dreaded CEL and took it to the dealer.

The truck is throwing an error against the SME module. I am still driving it until they take it in for service next week.
Appreciate 2
cbrg0512.00
Cityman188.50
      03-13-2024, 08:46 AM   #138
rpmura
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive45e

Was looking for 50E

Hope it’s ok to post. I have a 45e and was looking for a 50e when I noticed the inventory started to dwindle. Went from over 200 within 100 miles down to 2 now. So glad I found this thread. I’ll be keeping my eye out for a fix so I can start looking again. Probably is a blessing in disguise. I don’t need to be spending more money lol. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:35 AM   #139
MikeX521
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Currently have 12000 kms. Had 3 check engine lights. They turn off by themselves. Issue was the SME unit. No drivability issues. SME unit was replaced and so far, no more CEL.

I know this car is getting a black eye, but to me, this car is a beauty. It excels in every aspect, especially the PHEV drivetrain. Plenty of power in electric, Sport mode is a thrill, good range and luxury.

The only negative about the CELs for me was the visual indication of the CEL (and annoyance of taking it to dealer). No issues otherwise. It is what it is...first year gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 07:44 AM   #140
kic883
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 118i M-sport Alpine

I am surprised BMW release a car with such a problem. It maybe not a super serious issue, but there are many ‘unknown’

I am not a 50e owner, but I was consider to get one. I thought the major problem has been fixed but after reading posts here, I guess maybe I should just get the diesel model instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:17 AM   #141
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y, BMW X5 50e

We need some Prospective. There’s a check engine light issue that appears to be software related (no underlying faulty component that will result in a break down), and then there’s check engine lights that flag real issues that affect drivability.

Of all the people who have reported check engine lights, how many were “phantom” and how many actually had to have a component replaced due to it being faulty? I would be interested to see that data. My impression is that the vast majority of these check engine light issues are phantom, and I suspect the issue will be corrected with a future software update.

Only 29% as of today went to the dealer because of the check engine light. Of those who went to the dealer, how many had to have something R&R’d, and how many were told it was phantom?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 01:22 PM   #142
Andy76
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 X5 x35i, 2011 135i

Thanks, Turtleboy, for pulling this response info together.
I just joined the forum. I have a MY25 40i on order, but my dealer doesn’t have an allocation for that yet, but interestingly does for a MY25 50e.

So I’m considering changing my order, and have been looking at the MY24 CEL issues with great interest. Your data analysis is quite helpful - concerning, but not yet deterring my interest in a 50e.

Your data is a practical, recent analysis of forum responders, but as you mention there is likely bias, either over or under reporting. I would imagine that BMWNA has a better representative view, covering benign/malignant CEL error reporting data relative to all MY24 vehicles sold. That info would be really helpful to someone considering this model. Any info (or educated guess) as to what those relative error rates would be? 1%, 10%, or higher?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 01:42 PM   #143
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy76 View Post
Thanks, Turtleboy, for pulling this response info together.
I just joined the forum. I have a MY25 40i on order, but my dealer doesn’t have an allocation for that yet, but interestingly does for a MY25 50e.

So I’m considering changing my order, and have been looking at the MY24 CEL issues with great interest. Your data analysis is quite helpful - concerning, but not yet deterring my interest in a 50e.

Your data is a practical, recent analysis of forum responders, but as you mention there is likely bias, either over or under reporting. I would imagine that BMWNA has a better representative view, covering benign/malignant CEL error reporting data relative to all MY24 vehicles sold. That info would be really helpful to someone considering this model. Any info (or educated guess) as to what those relative error rates would be? 1%, 10%, or higher?
What your dealer likely has is one of the builds that have been pushed off to MY25 due to supply chain issues. Some folks didn't want to wait and abandoned their build. Only three non-priority 1 allocations were issues last month so unlikely your dealer has one of those. For all practical purposes there will be no difference between the two.

I didn't look for data for those since in my opinion whether you are taking it to the dealer to have the SME replaced or because you need to have a software update in order to get rid of a CEL, it counts as having an issue. Just a guess from reading here and some info I got from some dealer personnel, I would say that the error rate due to hardware issues is somewhere around 15% of vehicles. The overall error rate is huge and could be the worst vehicle introduction for BMW in regards to issues.

Was talking to an SA and her husband wanted to get a 50e but she talked him out of it. Said will all of the issues they are seeing, some coming in multiple times as we have seen here, she wasn't comfortable with him buying one.

For the ones that are issue free, they are a wonderful vehicle. For the ones that aren't it can be a pain but I believe eventually they will find the root causes of the issues and all will be well.
      03-17-2024, 06:35 PM   #144
Andy76
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 X5 x35i, 2011 135i

Thanks so much! One more question, since you seem to be following this CEL issue closely and quantitatively. Can you see any difference in CEL error rates between builds in early 2023 versus later 2023 builds? Hopefully improving due to better understanding of the root problem by BMW and dealer service.

I realize the early 2023 have logged more miles and charges, so it may not be possible to discern true differences. It does appear to me that the later CEL problems discussed in the forum are resolved more quickly as the parts become more available and dealer experience resolving problems improves.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 06:51 PM   #145
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy76 View Post
Thanks so much! One more question, since you seem to be following this CEL issue closely and quantitatively. Can you see any difference in CEL error rates between builds in early 2023 versus later 2023 builds? Hopefully improving due to better understanding of the root problem by BMW and dealer service.

I realize the early 2023 have logged more miles and charges, so it may not be possible to discern true differences. It does appear to me that the later CEL problems discussed in the forum are resolved more quickly as the parts become more available and dealer experience resolving problems improves.
I would say little difference. There was a lull in reporting in the Oct/Nov period and thought things were solved. That turned out not to be the case. From talking to my shop foreman, who is very good and also has a lot of contact with BMWNA, they still have not figured out the root causes for all of the issues. There have been a number of revisions to some parts but the problems still exist. He said they are constantly collecting data in order to find the solutions.
gsquare70.00
TREKER84.00
      03-18-2024, 03:14 PM   #146
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 X40i M Sport

Where do they collect data from? Is it only from service dept or are they able to recreate this issue in a R&D facility?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:28 PM   #147
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREKER View Post
Where do they collect data from? Is it only from service dept or are they able to recreate this issue in a R&D facility?
I was referring to the data they are collecting from dealer service departments but would imagine they are also doing their own testing. Keep in mind there is no one issue but rather a few different ones with the most prevalent ones seemingly related to the SME and cooling valve.
      03-18-2024, 03:34 PM   #148
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg91 View Post
We need some Prospective. There’s a check engine light issue that appears to be software related (no underlying faulty component that will result in a break down), and then there’s check engine lights that flag real issues that affect drivability.

Of all the people who have reported check engine lights, how many were “phantom” and how many actually had to have a component replaced due to it being faulty? I would be interested to see that data. My impression is that the vast majority of these check engine light issues are phantom, and I suspect the issue will be corrected with a future software update.

Only 29% as of today went to the dealer because of the check engine light. Of those who went to the dealer, how many had to have something R&R’d, and how many were told it was phantom?
There is no such thing as a phantom check engine light. Each time it happens, errors are written that can be read. You can choose to ignore the light and many have, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem.

These are 80K vehicles, random check engine lights followed by calls from BMW roadside are not acceptable. It leaves the owner wondering if the car will die in a bad place. I took mine in and a software update was done. Took 3 days since BMW remains confused about what the problem is.

I had to drive it 1200 miles every couple of months. Thanks to the random light I traded it in, my wife was afraid to ride in it through mountains and other areas with no service.

The 45e was solid. The 50e reminds me of the 70s cars that had random warning lights on that people just ignored.

If the problem is as simple as “phantom” warnings, then why hasn’t BMW fixed it since software updates are fairly easy to push out. The answer is they remain stumped. No bulletins published.

Not sure why people try to defend the 50e. Turtles numbers show a defect rate that is crazy for modern car. There are detailed stories here about the frustrations.

For those who haven’t had a problem, great. Just remember that these are still new and the problems have occurred at various times. Good luck once the warranty is over.
Appreciate 2
krypttic256.00
Cityman188.50
      03-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #149
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 X40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I was referring to the data they are collecting from dealer service departments but would imagine they are also doing their own testing. Keep in mind there is no one issue but rather a few different ones with the most prevalent ones seemingly related to the SME and cooling valve.
I figured that was the case. I am not familiar with how vehicle manufacturers handle issues like this. I get the feeling that there is some QC issues in some component which has / is taking time to identify. While just replacing the part doesn't resolve the issue if they cant identify the origin of the problem. Even going to another vendor may not rectify the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 05:54 PM   #150
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
There is no such thing as a phantom check engine light. Each time it happens, errors are written that can be read. You can choose to ignore the light and many have, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem.

These are 80K vehicles, random check engine lights followed by calls from BMW roadside are not acceptable. It leaves the owner wondering if the car will die in a bad place. I took mine in and a software update was done. Took 3 days since BMW remains confused about what the problem is.

I had to drive it 1200 miles every couple of months. Thanks to the random light I traded it in, my wife was afraid to ride in it through mountains and other areas with no service.

The 45e was solid. The 50e reminds me of the 70s cars that had random warning lights on that people just ignored.

If the problem is as simple as “phantom” warnings, then why hasn’t BMW fixed it since software updates are fairly easy to push out. The answer is they remain stumped. No bulletins published.

Not sure why people try to defend the 50e. Turtles numbers show a defect rate that is crazy for modern car. There are detailed stories here about the frustrations.

For those who haven’t had a problem, great. Just remember that these are still new and the problems have occurred at various times. Good luck once the warranty is over.
Well stated
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 06:21 PM   #151
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y, BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post

I stand by my statement. There have been check engine lights that did not have a resulting code. It could be caused a multitude of things. The software has a certain spec of how a component operates (for example, in millamps), and the actual part produced by the supplier falls just outside of that spec when it’s cold. Is the part that’s bad or the S/W spec is too tight? That is my definition of a phantom, check engine light . Yes, phantom check engine lights are not a good thing and need to be corrected so you don’t ignore a real problem.

Not all the check engine lights reported have been phantom, many have resulted in codes that drove parts being replaced. My comment was an desire for data to differentiate between the two as a percent of the total.

Your your family lost confidence in the car and you sold it — yeah, that sucks. It also doesn’t sound like you experienced phantom, check engine lights If you had codes stored.

I learned my lesson with Mercedes and bought an extended warranty on the 50e. That said to date I have not had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:19 PM   #152
tumbler1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmvjm View Post
I’m not an 50e owner. Went into dealership today to order a 40i. Sales advisor and I were discussing the 50e, and he told me they’re doing a buyback of a “nightmare” 50e, and the owner has ordered another 50e. FWIW. Also, Spartanburg deliveries are overbooked, and may not be readily available for a while.
First of all, you don't own a 50e yourself, second Please don't use the "Nightmare" on 50e to sabotage all the 50e owners. I just picked up my 50e back in Jan.2024, so far it's a dream PHEV SUV of my commute car without burning any gas at all. It is absolutely not a "Nightmare" car. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:26 PM   #153
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler1 View Post
First of all, you don't own a 50e yourself, second Please don't use the "Nightmare" on 50e to sabotage all the 50e owners. I just picked up my 50e back in Jan.2024, so far it's a dream PHEV SUV of my commute car without burning any gas at all. It is absolutely not a "Nightmare" car. Sorry.
You may have misunderstood the OP, from the dealer's and BMW's perspective the 50e has been a nightmare and vehicles that experience an issue can be. While most vehicles do not have issues the error rate with them has been way higher than an acceptable level.
gsquare70.00
      03-18-2024, 07:36 PM   #154
shed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7, Audi Q5 TDI Neutered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler1 View Post
Out of interest, any indication to suggest that more recent builds are getting less problems or is sample size and/or newness mean we can't make that call?
Appreciate 0