nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
So this implies if you actually cover the sensors (on the right of this image) it inhibits its ability to detect the key/phone.
That's good to know. I'll try that next time.

I've also noticed that if my phone is in my hand rather than my backpacker the sensors pick it up more quickly.
no. as mentioned, the entire black area and notches are the physical Comfort Access sensors for locking and unlocking the vehicle when touching the door handle (if so equipped/optioned/enabled)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus0101101 View Post
It will unlock as well? Never tried that. I thought it was only for locking. I've also never tried the comfort access on the 2nd row doors
no, that’s not what he’s saying.

I simply illustrated that if you grab on the red shaded area, your hand can be touching both the lock and unlock sensors simultaneously such that you can confuse the vehicle and get conflicting results

**on my 45e, touching only the ribs locks the vehicle. it doesn’t unlock it
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:59 PM   #24
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
**on my 45e, touching only the ribs locks the vehicle. it doesn’t lock it

Ok, that part is a little confusing. How I took what the comfort access did was like you said, touching the ribs only locks the vehicle. The motion/proximity sensor in the handle is what unlocks it. It was the same way on another non BMW vehicle I had.
      03-13-2024, 03:14 PM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
**on my 45e, touching only the ribs locks the vehicle. it doesn’t lock it
Ok, that part is a little confusing. How I took what the comfort access did was like you said, touching the ribs only locks the vehicle. The motion/proximity sensor in the handle is what unlocks it. It was the same way on another non BMW vehicle I had.
expected function is confusing and not easy to delineate because Comfort Access capabilities are different between pre-LCI and LCI. anyone who is having “issues” should discern which model year they have. this way, we can respond what one should expect

AFAIK, the sensors in the door handles aren’t motion/proximity sensors but rather capacitance (touch) sensors. I also know the NFC sensor is located in the driver door handle of pre-LCI vehicles but dunno about LCI since those utilize UWB tech
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:27 PM   #26
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
it’s actually very possible. you’d be surprised how many people grab the door handle where it has both lock and unlock sensors (red areas) because it takes less force to pull a lever far away from the fulcrum (yellow area).

this “issue” actually came up in the FB group where it was determined folks simply had the wrong hand placement on the handle
This might be it. I've always thought I need to touch the groove for both lock and unlock. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:28 PM   #27
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
what year is your vehicle? I recall reading that 2024 models no longer have Comfort Access in the rear doors. the vehicles referred to earlier in this thread all still have Comfort Access in the rear doors.

if your vehicle is pre-LCI (2019-2023), then check your settings in iDrive. also, is your key fob or Display key on you and with good battery?

another thing to consider: Comfort Access is standard here in the U.S., but isn’t it an option one has to purchase in UK? if so, is it one-time or subscription-based? might be something to look into…

OR it’s broken. what’s the result on the other side’s rear door?
2022 UK model - I think another user has given a good tip. Lock on the groove unlock away of the groove.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:48 PM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

I think you are confusing a few different things. With Comfort Access folks are referring to the physical touching of the door handle. With that the vehicle unlocks when you touch the door handle to left of the ribs and it locks when you touch the ribs.

With Touchless unlocking/locking enabled the vehicle will unlock as you approach it with your fob, or enabled phone for the LCI, and lock as you walk away with your fob/phone.

For the key card and pre-LCI digital key you need to touch the card/phone to the handle in order for it to lock/unlock.
      03-13-2024, 04:49 PM   #29
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medialook View Post
2022 UK model - I think another user has given a good tip. Lock on the groove unlock away of the groove.
that’s exactly what I do, too, and I’m very specific and purposeful with my hand placement. when unlocking, fingers are towards the middle of the handle and well away from the locking ribs. when locking, I use only one finger on the ribs (usually the index)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:20 PM   #30
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
expected function is confusing.........

No, thats not the confusing part for me. You said (**on my 45e, touching only the ribs locks the vehicle. it doesn’t lock it.) So it locks it....but doesn't lock it? Touching the ribs definitely locks it for me. It's been a long day and maybe I am just reading it wrong.

as for the tech that controls the unlock, I was merely guessing. I don't know what it is either, but I don't recall having to touch the handle for it to unlock. I may have and am just forgetting, but I seem to see it unlock even before my hand is all the way inside the handle.
      03-13-2024, 06:53 PM   #31
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
expected function is confusing.........

No, thats not the confusing part for me. You said (**on my 45e, touching only the ribs locks the vehicle. it doesn’t lock it.) So it locks it....but doesn't lock it? Touching the ribs definitely locks it for me. It's been a long day and maybe I am just reading it wrong.

as for the tech that controls the unlock, I was merely guessing. I don't know what it is either, but I don't recall having to touch the handle for it to unlock. I may have and am just forgetting, but I seem to see it unlock even before my hand is all the way inside the handle.
oops! typo (corrected)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:33 PM   #32
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
that’s exactly what I do, too, and I’m very specific and purposeful with my hand placement. when unlocking, fingers are towards the middle of the handle and well away from the locking ribs. when locking, I use only one finger on the ribs (usually the index)
I do the same, but I found it is possible when in a rush to grab the handle and pull it before the sensor triggers the unlock. If the handle is pulled out even a little bit when the relay trips it won't unlock. I've learned to grab the handle and listen for the lock before pulling. Slow is fast.
medialook104.00
      03-13-2024, 09:09 PM   #33
Cityman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Garage List
What I find annoying is getting to my destination, exiting and closing the driver’s door and realizing the rear driver’s side won’t open as I try to retrieve my bag. I then have to open the driver’s door and unlock it, as I don’t carry my key fob and only use watch and iphone, which would take longer than opening the door and hitting “unlock.” Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:31 PM   #34
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityman View Post
What I find annoying is getting to my destination, exiting and closing the driver’s door and realizing the rear driver’s side won’t open as I try to retrieve my bag. I then have to open the driver’s door and unlock it, as I don’t carry my key fob and only use watch and iphone, which would take longer than opening the door and hitting “unlock.” Am I missing something here?
i don't know if you have the same setting on your 2024 as i have on my 2021, but i have all the doors unlock when i end my trip (pressing the Start/Stop button). this way, your rear driver's door will be unlocked when you walk back there. if you don't have this setting, you likely just need to press the unlock button on your door panel before you exit.

we're all creatures of habit, but sometimes those habits don't gel well with technology. some may find BMW's programming quirky, but if we learn how to compromise our habits and adjust to the programming, it's much less frustrating or annoying.

QUESTION: is there no longer an NFC sensor in the driver door handle in the 2024 models to put your iPhone or Apple Watch up against to lock/unlock the vehicle? i'm unclear if that sensor was removed because the 2024 models use UWB tech instead
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:41 PM   #35
Cityman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
i don't know if you have the same setting on your 2024 as i have on my 2021, but i have all the doors unlock when i end my trip (pressing the Start/Stop button). this way, your rear driver's door will be unlocked when you walk back there. if you don't have this setting, you likely just need to press the unlock button on your door panel before you exit.

we're all creatures of habit, but sometimes those habits don't gel well with technology. some may find BMW's programming quirky, but if we learn how to compromise our habits and adjust to the programming, it's much less frustrating or annoying.

QUESTION: is there no longer an NFC sensor in the driver door handle in the 2024 models to put your iPhone or Apple Watch up against to lock/unlock the vehicle? i'm unclear if that sensor was removed because the 2024 models use UWB tech instead
I’ve only had my m60i for about 3 weeks now, so I’m still figuring things out. That’s a good idea to change the setting to unlock when I end my trip. As for the NFC, yes it’s still there but you don’t have to hold the device up to the handle. They work from about 6-8 feet away to lock/unlock, which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:14 PM   #36
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 x40i

Quote:
Quote:
I’ve only had my m60i for about 3 weeks now, so I’m still figuring things out. That’s a good idea to change the setting to unlock when I end my trip. As for the NFC, yes it’s still there but you don’t have to hold the device up to the handle. They work from about 6-8 feet away to lock/unlock, which is nice.
Seems like you are using DK+ on your phone, if thats the case, why open the driver door and press unlock button? Why not just touch the inside handle and unlock the rear that way? I have not yet encounter a scenario during normal usage where i need to actually use the lock/unlock button on the inside.
Appreciate 1
Cityman185.50
      03-13-2024, 10:19 PM   #37
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushy_musashi View Post
Seems like you are using DK+ on your phone, if thats the case, why open the driver door and press unlock button? Why not just touch the inside handle and unlock the rear that way? I have not yet encounter a scenario during normal usage where i need to actually use the lock/unlock button on the inside.
What do you mean by "touch the inside handle"?
      03-13-2024, 10:22 PM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok, so you have DK Plus enabled with your iPhone and Apple Watch on your person. instead of opening the driver’s door and pressing the unlock button inside the door to unlock the rear driver’s door, can’t you:

a) grab the driver’s door handle to unlock all the doors?
b) hold your iPhone or Apple Watch against the driver door handle to unlock all the doors?
Appreciate 1
Cityman185.50
      03-13-2024, 10:24 PM   #39
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
What do you mean by "touch the inside handle"?
The manual version of comfort access. Some people choose to not enable the "approach unlock/walk away lock" function. But even with that option disabled, you can touch the inside of the door handle to unlock or touch the ridges to lock. Just the proximity of the fob or dk+ is enough. For our lci, this feature is only on the driver and passenger handles. Pre-lci has it on all door handles.
Appreciate 1
Cityman185.50
      03-13-2024, 10:27 PM   #40
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
clarification: on LCI, Comfort Access only on front driver and passenger door handles
Appreciate 1
Cityman185.50
      03-13-2024, 10:28 PM   #41
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
The manual version of comfort access. Some people choose to not enable the "approach unlock/walk away lock" function. But even with that option disabled, you can touch the inside of the door handle to unlock or touch the ridges to lock. Just the proximity of the fob or dk+ is enough. For our lci, this feature is only on the driver and passenger handles. Pre-lci has it on all door handles.
Yes but he has an LCI. Do you mean touch the inside of the driver's door handle?
      03-13-2024, 10:30 PM   #42
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes but he has an LCI.
I know, but he can still unlock the rear doors by touching the inside of the driver handle. I know it works because i do it everyday.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:34 PM   #43
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I know, but he can still unlock the rear doors by touching the inside of the driver handle. I know it works because i do it everyday.
LOL I know how it works, was asking for you to explain it since what you typed did not make any sense/was not clear. Wanted to make sure people understood.
      03-13-2024, 10:40 PM   #44
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
LOL I know how it works, was asking for you to explain it since what you typed did not make any sense/was not clear. Wanted to make sure people understood.
I thought i conveyed it clearly that there was no need to open the door to press unlock button on the inside. Maybe my statement only sounded right in my head.
Appreciate 1
Cityman185.50