BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2024, 06:25 PM   #1
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

How does remote climate control / pre-condition / climatisation decide what to do

Some observation:

1. Here in California there are many days where sunshine is very strong but ambient / air temperature are low. It would be pretty cool outside, but quite hot in cars. From what I see from the app, sometimes the car decide to run heating (red animation), sometimes cooling (blue animation) pretty randomly. Anyone know what is the heuristic how car decide to run cooling or heating?

2. In these cases, It appears when app shows car decide to run either cooling or heating, quickly switch pre-condition off and on again will make the car do the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 08:53 AM   #2
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Following. Mine started cooling when I ran precondition from the app last week when it was in the 40s. I stopped & restarted it and the heating came on. It happens maybe 5-10% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 12:34 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I’ve seen this behavior too in my MY21 45e, though rarely and usually during the transitional period between fall/winter and winter/spring. as mentioned, toggling the preconditioning command off then on “fixes” it.

AFAIK, the vehicle uses the most recent thermostat settings prior to exiting the vehicle relative to the outside temperature at the time, not interior cabin temperature, when determining whether to run heat (red waves) or AC (blue waves) or ventilation (white waves). why/how it knows to switch modes upon toggling the preconditioning command is perplexing, though
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      04-06-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Why can’t they just have a desired cabin temp setting in the app, then regardless of how you left it last time you parked you could deicide on what’s right for your next trip, which may be days later than when you parked!

Also I find if I have a very early start I want more heat than if I’m just heading out later in the day, just let the driver decide!
Appreciate 3