BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-19-2024, 09:53 AM   #1
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Service Chassis Message

Wife is driving my 21 M50i today. She took it to the gym, no problems. I drove it last night, no problem. She dropped off the kids at daycare, and on the way she got aessage that said "service chassis". Mine has DHP and all that, so who knows what sensor or module is the problem, lol. She said its driving fine, just has the message on the screen.

Got an appointment to bring it in for service in a couple weeks (loaners are apparently hard to come by which is a whole other issue). I have this distinct feeling this issue would be unbelievably expensive if it wasnt under warranty.

Any guesses on what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:36 AM   #2
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Update. Over the afternoon, the message was gone. This morning, it came back. So here's to hoping that when I bring it to my appointment in 3 weeks it does it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:36 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Update. Over the afternoon, the message was gone. This morning, it came back. So here's to hoping that when I bring it to my appointment in 3 weeks it does it.
if it happens again, take a photo and/or video to show the SA
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:08 AM   #4
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Update. Had it in, they reprogrammed the suspension. Said it was a 4 hour process. Worked fine for a couple weeks, then no go. Been waiting for a service appointment for a couple weeks now, scheduled.for next week.

It's gotten MUCH more consistent. It trogge e if you load up the suspension in a turn, go over a manhole cover, accelerate or brake quickly, it triggers every single drove now, so much worse than before they reprogrammed it. Pretty frustrating, I'm sure it's a case of whatever the real issue is getting worse, but it's annoying that they missed whatever the root cause was the first time, especially with the delay in getting an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Update. Had it in, they reprogrammed the suspension. Said it was a 4 hour process. Worked fine for a couple weeks, then no go. Been waiting for a service appointment for a couple weeks now, scheduled.for next week.

It's gotten MUCH more consistent. It trogge e if you load up the suspension in a turn, go over a manhole cover, accelerate or brake quickly, it triggers every single drove now, so much worse than before they reprogrammed it. Pretty frustrating, I'm sure it's a case of whatever the real issue is getting worse, but it's annoying that they missed whatever the root cause was the first time, especially with the delay in getting an appointment.
Aside from the displayed msg, do you feel/notice anything abnormal during the drive when the msg pops up?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:55 AM   #6
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
The chassis doesn't feel as settled with the error showing. Like it rides rougher and rolls more. I suspect that either the active sway bars or the shocks are going into a non dynamic mode, causing this feeling. It also has a little burnout/traction control light on the left side by the gas gauge. It appears that's the stability control light?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:22 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The chassis doesn't feel as settled with the error showing. Like it rides rougher and rolls more. I suspect that either the active sway bars or the shocks are going into a non dynamic mode, causing this feeling. It also has a little burnout/traction control light on the left side by the gas gauge. It appears that's the stability control light?
Is it one of these DSC lights?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:31 AM   #8
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Yeah it's the DSC light in the bottom left.

I wonder if it could be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:37 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it's the DSC light in the bottom left.

I wonder if it could be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor?
If you have a code reader, it should tell you if the wheel sensor has failed and which one it is. That happened to me on my former X3 but my symptoms were different than yours. I read the code, then swapped the sensor to the other side of the car and the code followed the sensor, replaced it and all was well. I would have imagined the service center read the codes and my guess is there should have been some. I used Bimmerlink to read mine.
Appreciate 0