BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2023, 11:59 PM   #23
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapleigh View Post
10 days post delivery, 660 miles and the car came up with multiple warnings. Drove from the factory to the house, approximately 600 miles and two short trips around town. Went into limp mode and only electric drive available. Furious would be an understatement!

Dropped off at the dealership and they have escalated it to BMW Technical as they don't have a clear answer.

Extremely frustrating as I have a 2011 x5d that I have spent over $20k on maintenance in recent years. Only went with the new BMW because of their improved reliability rankings. I can't deal with having the longterm reliability issues with this one.
Just out of curiosity, what did you spend $20k ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 08:37 AM   #24
shapleigh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 xDrive50e 2011 x5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Power View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did you spend $20k ?
I've had the 2011 BMW x5d since it was 3 years old. Love the m57 engine, incredibly reliable, efficient, and smooth. Exterior and interior are in amazing shape. So when the check engine light came on I was willing to spend some money on it to address the problem.

One by one the emission system was looked into starting with the thermostat failing open and keeping the engine too cool to initiate dpf regeneration. This led to the dpf becoming clogged, egr failure was blamed on age. No egr codes until after other repairs had already been completed.

I would've never started the repair process had I known the end cost. An independent shop did their best but I think they were in over their head and didn't have the full picture before they started. By the time we saw the end price we were so far in I would've been out all the previous costs on repairs that were leading towards the overall fix.

Intake manifold carbon cleaning
Thermostat
Water pump
New DPF
New EGR cooler, egr valve, and lines
(Items above were to get rid of the check engine light. In a state with emission and vehicle inspections. Entire exhaust and emission system had to be replaced.)
Harmonic balancer
Rear air suspension
Rear brakes
Transmission, and differential fluid service
Heater core coolant control valve

....thinks that's it for recent work. All completed around 130,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 05:45 PM   #25
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I've had the 2011 BMW x5d since it was 3 years old. Love the m57 engine, incredibly reliable, efficient, and smooth. Exterior and interior are in amazing shape. So when the check engine light came on I was willing to spend some money on it to address the problem.

One by one the emission system was looked into starting with the thermostat failing open and keeping the engine too cool to initiate dpf regeneration. This led to the dpf becoming clogged, egr failure was blamed on age. No egr codes until after other repairs had already been completed.

I would've never started the repair process had I known the end cost. An independent shop did their best but I think they were in over their head and didn't have the full picture before they started. By the time we saw the end price we were so far in I would've been out all the previous costs on repairs that were leading towards the overall fix.

Thermostat
Water pump
New DPF
(Items above were to get rid of the check engine light. In a state with emission and vehicle inspections. Entire exhaust and emission system had to be replaced.)
Harmonic balancer
Rear air suspension
Rear brakes

Makes sense

Modern Diesel are a pain with exhaust/ emission system, tons of $$$ to repair
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:13 PM   #26
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:

Thermostat
Water pump
New DPF
Harmonic balancer
Rear air suspension
Rear brakes

Wow. I had the 2015 X5d and did 168lk miles without major issues. Only replaced the two rear air suspensions after they leaked for 3k 2 years ago. Now on the 50e and loving it. Just need to get that stupid engine light back on so I can take it back to dealer to have them scan it properly to order the parts. I cleared it last week after it came back on which I shouldnt of done..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 03:48 PM   #27
hotwasabipeas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Civic Type-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
I find it useful everywhere I go. Regardless of how wide or narrow the roads are, one encounters parking lots and other narrow spaces where I do find IAS useful.

In my 10 years of BMW ownership experience, one of the things I appreciated was the ability to configure your vehicle with (almost) any option BMW offered for that model. Recently, they've followed the other manufacturers where certain options/features are only available on higher 'trims'. To me, one of the benefits you received paying the premium for a BMW was this ability to configure your vehicle with whatever available features you wanted.
You need to buy a Porsche if you want complete customization.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2023, 03:52 PM   #28
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwasabipeas View Post
You need to buy a Porsche if you want complete customization.
Right, Porsche, Land Rover, Jag, egads, no one has the sheer amount of time it takes to go through their build site and configure your car, I mean right down to the color of the stitches on the seats or steering wheel. BMW does a pretty good job of it, the American brands have the absolute worst config sites.
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2023, 02:07 PM   #29
Jimmy V
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 x50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
We heard back from BMW Service this morning. The problem is with t he failure of the A/C Shutoff Valve. The component has been ordered from Germany, no ETA. I assume the A/C is used to cool the Hybrid Batteries hence the total system shutdown…
Update. After 6.5 weeks the parts arrived to repair the battery pack cooling issue. News from the service department after the repair was completed on July 14 a new error is now reporting for a fault in the HV Battery Pack. So, our X5 is sill inoperative. Pretty disappointing!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #30
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
Update. After 6.5 weeks the parts arrived to repair the battery pack cooling issue. News from the service department after the repair was completed on July 14 a new error is now reporting for a fault in the HV Battery Pack. So, our X5 is sill inoperative. Pretty disappointing!
At this point maybe lemon it?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 01:34 AM   #31
Mb007
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 2024

I am in the same situation with my brand new 2024 X5 xDrive50e. I’m at less than 300 miles and encountered the same error message “drivetrain malfunction” having to have my car extracted from parking structure then dragged into a flat bed and transferred back to dealership. It’s been since July 4th and I still do not know what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:14 AM   #32
Sgtwifey
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb007 View Post
I am in the same situation with my brand new 2024 X5 xDrive50e. I’m at less than 300 miles and encountered the same error message “drivetrain malfunction” having to have my car extracted from parking structure then dragged into a flat bed and transferred back to dealership. It’s been since July 4th and I still do not know what the problem is.
So frustrating! I hope you get resolution soon.

This error came up for me too at 445 miles but I was able to still drive it to destination. After turning car off, going in the gym, then coming out, the message was gone like nothing happened. Dealer advised I should be fine for now since there was no record of it in my control system error log…

I’m in a MY24 X60 40i, btw. Almost at 1000 miles now and haven’t had it come up again… fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      07-18-2023, 09:05 AM   #33
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtwifey View Post
So frustrating! I hope you get resolution soon.

This error came up for me too at 445 miles but I was able to still drive it to destination. After turning car off, going in the gym, then coming out, the message was gone like nothing happened. Dealer advised I should be fine for now since there was no record of it in my control system error log…

I’m in a MY24 X60 40i, btw. Almost at 1000 miles now and haven’t had it come up again… fingers crossed.
Scary, thanks for posting. Its a pitty they have no record why it happened.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 12:56 PM   #34
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
I too have the drivetrain issue with my 24 X5 M60i. I’m currently 550 miles from home on a family road trip with about 800 miles on the odometer. Dealer I took it to is telling me that that it needs a new transfercase. We are heading out tomorrow, from Nashville to Chicago and looks like I’m gonna have to leave vehicle here and rent a car and hope that my vehicle gets shipped back home to Michigan.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30357976
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #35
hscheil
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive50e

I had the same drivetrain malfunction message during the first week after I got my car. They couldn't reproduce it at the BMW dealership in SF and said that everything was normal.

I also told them that on gas-only, the engine behaves really weirdly. It revs up to very high RPM in the first and second gear for the first few 40-50 yards after a full stop, and the shifting is not smooth at all. It's so noticeable that everyone who drove with me asked me if this was normal. BMW in SF said it is, but I don't quite trust them.

Does anybody else have this "high RPM in first two gears after a full-stop" issue on gas-only?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #36
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscheil View Post
I had the same drivetrain malfunction message during the first week after I got my car. They couldn't reproduce it at the BMW dealership in SF and said that everything was normal.

I also told them that on gas-only, the engine behaves really weirdly. It revs up to very high RPM in the first and second gear for the first few 40-50 yards after a full stop, and the shifting is not smooth at all. It's so noticeable that everyone who drove with me asked me if this was normal. BMW in SF said it is, but I don't quite trust them.

Does anybody else have this "high RPM in first two gears after a full-stop" issue on gas-only?
The issue happens when you stay for like 1 or 2 minutes at red light thus depleting the small buffer allowed left when the battery is at 0%. You push a bit the gas to start and the car switches to ICE but the transmission is kind of lost between the gears. XM behaves the same as the 50e and it’s not fun even dangerous because you loose momentum when you might need it and sometimes you hear the transmission clanging.

I hope it gets fixed in future updates
Appreciate 3
      08-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #37
hscheil
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
The issue happens when you stay for like 1 or 2 minutes at red light thus depleting the small buffer allowed left when the battery is at 0%. You push a bit the gas to start and the car switches to ICE but the transmission is kind of lost between the gears. XM behaves the same as the 50e and it’s not fun even dangerous because you loose momentum when you might need it and sometimes you hear the transmission clanging.

I hope it gets fixed in future updates
Interesting. Thank you for your insights. I will definitely dig into this a bit more with BMW. I am considering going to a dealership to drive one of their test drive models to see if they have the same behavior.

Last edited by hscheil; 08-02-2023 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 09:25 AM   #38
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Update on our three week old 2024 X5 M60i with Drivetrain malfunction. Our vehicle is stuck at Nashville, Tn dealer. We had to rent a vehicle to get back home to Michigan. Latest update we’ve received is that after several back and forth communications from dealer and BMW NA with failing diagnostic tests is that they want the dealer to replace the control module for the Transfercase short of changing out the Transfercase at this time. Problem is there are no control modules in the US or Germany to be installed in our three week old vehicle. Further, if that doesn’t correct the issue Transfercase will have to be replaced. Looking at a long interval without our brand new $100k plus vehicle.

The kicker is this was our boat tow vehicle. So now, can’t use our boat.

Obviously very frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 10:12 AM   #39
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I’d be looking into lemon laws in your state. BMW USA should, at the very least, pay for your rental and provide some $ compensation.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 11:27 AM   #40
dieter09
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 LCI 50e/M3 G81 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscheil View Post

I have the same problem.

I also had the message and then it disappeared.
Also my shifting comming from a full stop is not smooth.
It is like the car is holding back.

I did not notice this shifting problem in the beginning, but after i got the message.
Maybe this is in my head
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 04:34 PM   #41
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Update: We made it home yesterday evening to Michigan. Have to return the rental car today, so we’ll be down a vehicle. I reached out to local Dealer where I purchased and I’m waiting to hear back. Also, reached out yesterday again to BMW na and our case worker hasn’t gotten back to us. Obviously won’t have a vehicle for going to work on Monday. On a mellow positive note, I received word yesterday, Friday, from Nashville service manager that they did locate the module in Iowa and should receive it and install it by midweek this upcoming week. So, hopefully this corrects the issue with my vehicle. Then have to work on getting it shipped up to Michigan. If it doesn’t fix it then I guess looking at a further wiring issue as some have suggested or new transfer case with unknown timeline.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #42
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
On the old continent it's useful for parking spaces and narrow roads. Everything is much smaller here. So it's a bummer I couldn't order IAS on my 50e. They should make an exception for European orders My X5 is already too big. Sometimes I see a Dodge Ram. That's just hilarious. When they park at the side of the road half of the car still stands on the road
I've just returned from an "old continent" where I spent a month. A do appreciate bigger cars and wider roads in US much more now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 08:38 AM   #43
bnlmaster
Rep
Drives: 520d, X5 50e

Unhappy Same error message on X5 50e: New transmission needed

Got the same message last Wednesday on my X5 50e after 500km's.

Dealership just called me that the electric module of the transmission doesn't react anymore.
They contacted BMW this morning with the feedback to swap the complete transmission..

Sucks, but apparently it's easier to swap the complete transmission instead of only the electric modules
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 12:19 PM   #44
RNDe
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlmaster View Post
Got the same message last Wednesday on my X5 50e after 500km's.

Dealership just called me that the electric module of the transmission doesn't react anymore.
They contacted BMW this morning with the feedback to swap the complete transmission..

Sucks, but apparently it's easier to swap the complete transmission instead of only the electric modules
Did they happen to mention if it had anything to do with the EME unit? My X5 40i also had a problem with the electric module of the transmission. I'm getting a new transmission as well. BMW told them it was due to a faulty EME unit, so just curious.
Appreciate 0