BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2024, 09:13 PM   #1
Remaxmac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i and X5 45e

2022 X5 45e Tires--new widow needs help!

I am newly widowed, and shortly before my husband died he discovered there were 3 nails in our tires. He tried to have them patched/fixed but the back driver side tire needs air ever couple days. This was my husband's car and is something my husband handled as I know absolutely NOTHING about tires (so please talk to me like I'm an idiot, which I am!).

Apparently the BMW dealer told him there were no all-season tires available for our car and that replacing the tires would be in the $3550 range for winter RFTs (Scorpion Winter RFT XLBW 275/40R21 on front and Scorpion Winter RFT XLBW 315/35R21/111V on the back). I live in the SF Bay Area and have a cabin in Tahoe so I would prefer all-season tires. I'd prefer not to deal with two sets of tires either (i.e. winter/summer).

My question is whether I can buy all-season tires somewhere else for the car and have them installed without jeopardizing the warranty? What do I need to know about replacement tires if I don't buy them through BMW?

Does the price for the Scorpion winter tires sound high? Sounds high to me!

Would these tires be safe to drive year round? I should add that I don't drive much, and most of the miles would be to Tahoe (year round). We do get rain in the Bay Area lately.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm lost.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:16 PM   #2
typedcl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e (2023)

Yes, you can buy tires elsewhere and have them installed without affecting the warranty. In the Bay Area, I would go with Costco (if you have a membership) or America's Tire if you're looking for a reputable big name.

At those places you can pre-order your tires online and then book an appointment to get them installed. The websites will show you what is available for your car. If you need help picking, you can post here again once you see the options.

Do you drive when it snows (heavily) in Tahoe? If so, all seasons might not work for you. I got a extra set for snow tires this past year; it became useful when local streets were not plowed.

If you ever need to take the highways when Caltrans declares R-2, snow tires will save you from putting on chains.

Though some snow tires are not as good in warmer weather, they are generally safe. The main disadvantage of winter tires is (generally) they tend to wear out faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:51 PM   #3
Remaxmac
Registered
Rep

Thank you so much for posting and for the help. I try to avoid big storms when I'm going back and forth to Tahoe--I'm usually flexible on timing--so I'd hope to avoid Caltrans chain control, but there are times I am up there with decent snow on the roads. My daughter posted on reddit for me, and someone there suggested doing "all weather" tires, but as there are no all weather tires available for my vehicle in current staggered set up, I'd have to try to do a "square" set up. I'm trying to figure out how that works. Thanks for the Costco recommendation--I'm a member so that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 07:37 PM   #4
typedcl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

"Staggered" means the size of the front wheels differ than the size of the back wheels. This is generally done for performance/appearance.

It can make getting all seasons tires a bit more difficult since the setup is generally for performance.

Going to a square setup would mean buying new wheels (in addition to the tires). Since you have staggered wheels I'm guessing the car also has M-brakes, so you'd need 20" wheel. That's probably ~$750 per wheel.

$3550 sounds like dealer pricing for tires; it's a on the high side for sure, but they're supposed to be the "pay us to quickly solve the problem" solution. If you can get a price quote online from somewhere, some dealers may negotiate with you on price.

IME, America's Tire salespeople are better "trained" as salespeople and can walk you through the options and explain things better. They are generally not as busy as Costco, so they have a bit more time to talk to you.

Costco Tire Centers are hit or miss... some of their front desk people are great, others... not so much. It doesn't help that all the ones I've been to seem completed booked all day, every day.

For the short term: are all 3 nails in the same tire (rear driver side)? If so, can someone get replacements for the 2 rear tires first? That is probably the cheapest way to get you going for now. (Assuming the tires aren't completely worn, just one is damaged.)

In the longer term, it might be worth considering a square set of 20" wheels. I think there's also more options for run-flats, so it just makes dealing with this part of the car easier.

But, I haven't dealt with staggered wheels... Someone else may have a better understand/recommendation here.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 08:50 PM   #5
Remaxmac
Registered
Rep

Thank you so much for the great response. This is really really helpful. So I'd be looking at $750 for four new wheels and then the additional cost for the tires? I suspect that may be worth it in the long run. The fact that the car in the staggered configuration only has winter or summer tire options is going to be a continued issue. The three nails are in three different tires! The biggest hole is in the driver's rear. It's been "patched" a few times, and nothing seems to work. The other two seem to be holding for now. My husband worked in Oakland and apparently lots of nails on the streets
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 11:34 PM   #6
typedcl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

That's about $750 for a single wheel + the cost of the tire.

For reference: I got a (BMW, not 3rd party) 19" wheel + winter tire (set of 4) back in January and I ended up spending about $3600 total. I did lot of shopping around to get this price (and a bit of arm twisting at Costco).

The easiest way to get the these wheel plus tire is through a dealer. By going with 20", they should bet able to get them in a few days and maybe they'll charge you $4000-5000... (That's a guess on my part.)

As a point of comparison, BMW's website has this tire set for about $4500: https://shop.bmwusa.com/products/det...112459598.html
Installation is probably a few hundred dollars on top. The tires on that are all-season run flats.

Hope this helps. Really, a good repair advisor at a dealer should walk you through these options. But, having tried most of the Bay Area BMW dealers, it does help to know what the options are before going.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:47 AM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

For OP’s usage definition get all season. If you live in Bay Area, as myself, there is no reason for get winter tire at all. You won’t see a single car with winter tires on Bay Area road. In fact, even if you want them, they won’t be readily available at tires shops, because very few people buy them. You have to order.

Winter tires generally have lower traction to begin with. Just their traction doesn’t degrade much at extreme cold which Bay Area don’t see. Winter tires are also louder, and as other said, wear out faster.

For Tahoe, unless you live there in winter, I would say use all season and bring chains will be better than having dedicated winter tires. Now if you live there for winter month, then sure get a set is dedicated winter wheel and tires.
      05-11-2024, 04:27 PM   #8
Remaxmac
Registered
Rep

Thank you everybody for the responses. I really appreciate it. I now know more about tires/wheels than I ever thought I'd know Thanks typedcl for the link to the dealer tires. Interesting. I will contact the person my husband was working with and ask him more before deciding. I'm leaning square wheel set up with the all weather.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 02:51 PM   #9
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

If you're comfortable doing on-line research you might go to tirerack.com to get a sense of costs for a set of tires and wheels. You might be better off with all-seasons for 8 months and a full winter set of winter tires for that period.

Up here in Canada, we typically have two sets of tires/rims with a seasonal change over. Our local garage stores and installs the tires/rims so we don't have worry about storage or putting them in the trunk when it's time to change them.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 07:54 PM   #10
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I've run Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. They have been great. You can get them from Tirerack.com

275/40R21
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLV2&tab=Sizes

315/35R21
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 09:13 AM   #11
alison
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive45e

Is there a Discount Tire near you? I've purchased multiple sets of tires from them in the past and have been pleased with the price and service. The installation cost includes road hazard repair, rotations, and balancing for the life of the tires.

While Costco offers the same benefit and the prices are fairly similar, I've found getting an appointment at Costco can be a bit more difficult.
Appreciate 0