BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-23-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
X5-45weeeeeeee
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Exclamation X5 45e Battery and Starting Issues

So my 2022 X5 45e has been a fantastic car. I took delivery October of 2021 and have approx 27,000 miles on it (I drive a lot for work).

Two days ago, on a road trip, I stopped to use the restroom after 100 miles of driving. 5 minutes later, came out to the car, would not start. Crazy number of alerts and tones starting ringing. "contact service" "braking system error" "chassis malfunction" "may be ok to drive". etc. But I could not get the car into any drivable mode. Called BMW roadside assistance and while I waited I googled this issue and found out how to jumpstart the X5.

Found a nice person to give me a jump. ICE started right up, and I finished my road trip (another 150 miles or so) this time making sure there was plenty of battery in the HYBRID system (plug-in battery) for when I arrived at the hotel, so the Valet could start it again. They could not re-start the car, so I left my vacation early and drove straight back to my home dealership in Irvine. They are currently running an assessment.

My question is, does the BMW X5 45e have a factory 12v battery to get the car going? AND is this battery fairly cheap from the factory (i.e. limited to starting just fine for a person who only drives 10.000-12,000 miles per year?)

The reason I ask is I had a brand new Toyota Tacoma that I put a similar number of miles on, and in the first year the battery just stopped holding charge. Toyota replaced it under warranty, no questions asked, but the technician said they put really cheap batteries in new cars from the factory.

My thinking is that because I tend to put 30,000 miles per year on my cars, there are just too many start-stop cycles for the factory batteries to handle.

Anyone else experience this with the X5 45e?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

there are multiple batteries on the 45e. Someone here will probably post the tech data. So many smart people on here.
I just started a thread on Lemon Law issues because my 45e just broke down on battery issues (AND I had the original recall issue as well, but fixed). One thing I learned is that the 45e has a Safe mode, and it seems anything electrical could trigger that.... basically "safing" the car so issues don't domino into something worse like a HV battery fire, for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There's a 12vdc battery that is needed to run the typical vehicle components (starter motor, computers, fans, lights, radio, alarm, etc.) and the HVB has a DC-DC inverter to supply 12vdc once the vehicle is powered on (but it needs the 12vdc running to get things started). So, if the 12vdc battery is toast, nothing will work.

There are two ways the ICE can be started:
- from a stop, the electric starter motor must be able to run, which requires 12vdc logic and power to happen - a jump start works as you found out
- after moving when it needs the ICE to run, it can use the clutches in the transmission to 'tow' start the engine like popping the clutch on a manually transmissioned vehicle powered by the EV motor.

All sorts of system errors will occur when the 12vdc battery is low. It's an AGM, and is in the rear, left-hand side in the rear behind a removeable panel...it's nothing particularly special. When replaced, you should register it in the computer so it knows it's new which will alter how it decides to charge it. If it's a different size, that should be programmed, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 11:08 PM   #4
X5-45weeeeeeee
Rep

Thank you all so much, from what I was reading, this is what I figured the problem was. The 12vdc battery.

BMW actually had my car overnight because the BMW flowchart tells them to charge the batteries and try everything in the morning. They did, said that everything checked out, and had me pick up my car.

I went 5 blocks to get gas, turned off the car, dead again. Whole host of alerts. This time even jumped starting failed. BMW dealer sent a tow truck out and took my car back again.

Got a call today that they replaced the battery, and when a car comes back in after repair they like to send it home with a lead technician, so they can see how it behaves overnight. Is this normal? Ive never had a dealership offer to take my car home for testing.

I authorized it, but still find it a bit odd.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:19 AM   #5
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-45weeeeeeee View Post
Got a call today that they replaced the battery, and when a car comes back in after repair they like to send it home with a lead technician, so they can see how it behaves overnight. Is this normal? Ive never had a dealership offer to take my car home for testing.

It's normal. I had the same request on a different electric vehicle which had a bad cell in its battery pack. Technician took it home for the day after repairs to be sure everything checked out.
      08-26-2022, 02:26 AM   #6
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
So my 2022 X5 45e has been a fantastic car. I took delivery October of 2021 and have approx 27,000 miles on it (I drive a lot for work).
It is too early for 12V battery to fail, way too early. I kind of doubt that is the cause.
      08-27-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMW has numerous electronics modules. When you shut the vehicle off, the computer sends them a message to shut down. All it takes is one module that doesn't shut down properly to drain the 12vdc battery. That can make the battery die very quickly. No lead acid-based battery likes to be drained very far or very often.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
carsar12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you all so much, from what I was reading, this is what I figured the problem was. The 12vdc battery.

BMW actually had my car overnight because the BMW flowchart tells them to charge the batteries and try everything in the morning. They did, said that everything checked out, and had me pick up my car.

I went 5 blocks to get gas, turned off the car, dead again. Whole host of alerts. This time even jumped starting failed. BMW dealer sent a tow truck out and took my car back again.

Did they cover the battery under warranty? Sorry to ask but the Business Manager scared us into the extended coverage because of the potential for battery failure. We got it initially but then canceled.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Read your documents delivered with the vehicle...the BMW USA battery warranty is 8-years or 100K miles, whichever comes first, the batteries must hold at least 70% of their original capacity. If you live in a CARB state, it's longer in both time and miles.

The rest of the drivetrain is only covered by the 'normal' warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:02 PM   #10
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Read your documents delivered with the vehicle...the BMW USA battery warranty is 8-years or 100K miles, whichever comes first, the batteries must hold at least 70% of their original capacity. If you live in a CARB state, it's longer in both time and miles.

Does that warranty cover BOTH 12V and HV batteries?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

mine shows 8Y/80K miles and 70% SoH (Virginia)

i understand 8Y/100K miles to be a CARB state minimum though some states offer 10Y/150K. CARB requires 80% SoH
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:16 PM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
most articles and documents only mention "high voltage batteries", "EV batteries", "PHEV batteries", or "lithium", and the language specifically addresses them, not the 12V battery(ies)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #13
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
most articles and documents only mention "high voltage batteries", "EV batteries", "PHEV batteries", or "lithium", and the language specifically addresses them, not the 12V battery(ies)
Thanks for checking. I guessed the extended warranty would only cover the high voltage batteries.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:40 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The 12vdc system is not part of the HV battery warranty nor is the DC-DC invertor that charges the 12vdc system.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 03:16 PM   #15
X5-45weeeeeeee
Rep

Turns out the AC compressor failed causing the battery issues. The part is on backorder until November. The dealer called me today and they want their X5 loaner back and will put me into an enterprise SUV with $65 a day cap. I am furious. My $80,000 car is out of commission for two months and I have to drive an enterprise car around?! While I make my lease payments? WTF?! don’t ever go to Irvine BMW in CA. THEY JUST DONT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. This is my first BMW and my last, sadly.
Appreciate 3
RickObe93.00
leightos188.50
kjx3208.50
      09-08-2022, 03:29 PM   #16
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Turns out the AC compressor failed causing the battery issues. The part is on backorder until November. The dealer called me today and they want their X5 loaner back and will put me into an enterprise SUV with $65 a day cap. I am furious. My $80,000 car is out of commission for two months and I have to drive an enterprise car around?! While I make my lease payments? WTF?! don’t ever go to Irvine BMW in CA. THEY JUST DONT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. This is my first BMW and my last, sadly.
This is really shoddy treatment, and not a great time to be driving around SoCal with no A/C! BMW Corporate should be picking up the tab for your rental, and should be able to do better than $65/day. With the reliability issues they're having with batteries, BMW should be negotiating a discount contract with a car rental company (or buying one). Have you complained to BMW customer service and asked them why you're supposed to be making lease payments on a vehicle parked at its dealership for 2 months?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #17
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Quote:
Ouch that is awful. Have you tried any of the other local dealers (Buena Park, McKenna, Crevier, Long Beach, South Bay, etc…) to see if anyone else potentially has that part and then tow to them for the warranty repair?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #18
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
It's normal. I had the same request on a different electric vehicle which had a bad cell in its battery pack. Technician took it home for the day after repairs to be sure everything checked out.
Why can't the technician just drive it around a little and leave at the shop overnight? The car doesn't know where he's sleeping.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #19
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

"Got a call today that they replaced the battery, and when a car comes back in after repair they like to send it home with a lead technician, so they can see how it behaves overnight. Is this normal? Ive never had a dealership offer to take my car home for testing. "

I know you are not laughing right now with this frustrating situation but when I first read your post it sounded like the lead tech was going to spend the night in your car (at your home). LOL

As for the dealership treatment…let's hope it's just that a few people made the wrong decision in how they handled your situation and when the right person gets involved they will come up with a better solution. I don't lease currently but an extension of your lease (at no additional cost) at the end by the number of days you are without the vehicle seems like a start.

Please let us know how this plays out…
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      09-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #20
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

Quote:
OMG the same thing happened to me here in LV. See my thread on Lemon Law issues. I bought at Crevier in Santa Ana.
My car failed 3 weeks ago, took me 2 days without any car to get a rental out of them, limited to $50/day. The first car from Enterprise was sh*t. I went back after 2 days and asked for something better - they gave me an Acura MDX which isn't awful, but it's hot AF out here and I can't precondition and no ventilated seats. Ugh.

I am working w/ BMWNA, and they've been pretty good. I would strongly recommend you call them asap and open a case. And I would recommend calling a lawyer (just in case) - but caution to not mention that you have a lawyer or use the word 'lemon' to the dealer or BMWNA. If you don't get satisfaction, then you can let loose the lawyer to do 'lawyerly' things, but IMO that's last resort. I will post in multiple threads (Lemon Law, Drivetrain malfunction) and possibly here what my resolution is - my parts aren't even in yet either btw. So stay tuned. I think I'll get a swap or a repurchase soon. It takes a month for them to make that decision so that's why I say call them asap.
good luck

Last edited by leightos; 09-08-2022 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #21
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shllshck View Post
Quote:
Turns out the AC compressor failed causing the battery issues. The part is on backorder until November. The dealer called me today and they want their X5 loaner back and will put me into an enterprise SUV with $65 a day cap. I am furious. My $80,000 car is out of commission for two months and I have to drive an enterprise car around?! While I make my lease payments? WTF?! don't ever go to Irvine BMW in CA. THEY JUST DONT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. This is my first BMW and my last, sadly.
Ouch that is awful. Have you tried any of the other local dealers (Buena Park, McKenna, Crevier, Long Beach, South Bay, etc…) to see if anyone else potentially has that part and then tow to them for the warranty repair?
Parts like this are not warehoused at dealers - from the description, it's simply not available to source in the US, and is likely on back order as a spare part.

The lack of part availability is BMW's problem and it's they who must make OP whole. The dealer can only do what BMW lets them - no dealer is going to pay out of their own pocket.
      09-08-2022, 10:20 PM   #22
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e28 M5, e34 540 M-Sport

Sounds like the electric AC compressor could be an achilles heel on the 45e.
On a ICE vehicle, a failed compressor will not strand you unless the pulley bearing fails.
A lead BMW tech I know is reporting a fair amount of 45e electric compressor failures....and with the complex battery cooling system, cleaning out all the debris from a failed compressor is a laborious job. And if any debris is left circulating in the system, your first failed compressor may not be your last failed compressor.
Hope BMW steps up with a more robust re-design....similar to improvements they made on the HPFP on first gen direct injection engines.

Last edited by nordring; 09-08-2022 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0